Food Aging -- Discussion Thread

Started by nessalin, December 14, 2015, 07:56:02 AM

Wow! This is incredible, you've really been kicking ass lately Nessalin. Thanks for this realistic improvement to an already awesome addition!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

New updates are awesome, alleviated any concerns I had about it.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

somehow even more awesome
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

December 15, 2015, 10:06:22 AM #128 Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:09:43 AM by Desertman
Do we have any timelines set in place for the different types of preserved food that are already on the table.

For example:

Non-preserved food lasts 36 RL hours.

How long does salted food last?
Pickled?
So on and so forth....

Also, are we going to be looking at going back and updating the crafting recipes and processes for preserved food to make it more realistic and resource intensive to preserve said food?

For example:

Will smoked food require a fire now?
Will salted food require salt?

That sort of thing.

Thanks.

Also, I have had a raging mekillot in my pants for the last 24 hours. You really know how to make my meat last.

(^I should feel bad about that joke. I sort of do, but part of me feels like a proud father. Save me from myself.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: nessalin on December 15, 2015, 07:17:32 AM
For those that lost special items they were looking to have some fun with, feel free to file a reimbursement request.

Yes, there was definitely this one kalan I was looking to have some fun with this afternoon.

(Joke Reference)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Pickled tink about the additions.  Thanks!
Where it will go

Thanks for working fast on it!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Wow, great job with the updates, those came quick.

Will there be more food updates to come?

Just an idea--- we have a few food items like eggs for example that ought to decay quickly compared to most.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on December 15, 2015, 02:57:38 PM
Will there be more food updates to come?

Just an idea--- we have a few food items like eggs for example that ought to decay quickly compared to most.

Unwashed eggs last two months.

So...
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

The AoD barracks just ain't gonna be the same without that "grey egg" that's been sitting on the grill since at least early 2013.

Will it be evident what is a 'preserving container'?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 15, 2015, 03:25:56 PM
The AoD barracks just ain't gonna be the same without that "grey egg" that's been sitting on the grill since at least early 2013.
The one that couldn't be removed, for some reason?

Memories.

At least now it'll decay through the grille, and finally be free.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: Armaddict on December 15, 2015, 04:16:51 PM
Will it be evident what is a 'preserving container'?

Ideally, yes.

'evident' is relative, though.

We can look at adding something in assess on containers to indicate if your character thinks this would be for storing food.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

If you put a PC body in a pickling container will it keep for a longer period of time?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 15, 2015, 05:03:09 PM
If you put a PC body in a pickling container will it keep for a longer period of time?

Only if crafted by a halfling.

This does make me wonder how hard it would be to tweak a version of this "food aging" code so that it would apply to corpses to reflect how long the corpses had been there.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

December 16, 2015, 03:41:45 AM #143 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:49:38 AM by solera
It is certainly more real now, but in gaming time, it may be a bit short to get a bahamet steak to Lady Daggerpants. Still a lot easier than getting a fresh corpse to her though.
For the general public, the NPC shopkeepers may be a more active middleman than they have been. It will be interesting to watch how the economy changes, short and long term.

;D Pet grasshoppers. RIP.   >:(.     

Bugs should probably be given infinite flags.  I mean, they're not infinite, but they are alive, and many of them are also pet objects that can be worn on shoulder etc.

December 16, 2015, 05:39:42 AM #145 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:32:48 AM by Akariel
If anyone sees any items that they think should have longer lifetimes than the norm, feel free to send me a request titled "ATTN Akariel: Food Project". At this point I'd like to start compiling a list of food items where their crafting message/mdesc/other arbitrary things say they have been preserved in some way. Make sure to clan the request Oash or Fale.

It would be cool if you could see how a food item had been preserved through assessing it.  For instance:

assess rib
It seems to have been smoked.

It would help players understand what kind of lifespan their food might have.

In -most- cases that I've seen, food that has already been smoked or dried, has some indication of that in their mdesc.  I don't remember the exact sdescs but there are examples of simple strips of meat - they look kind of like their smoked version until you read the mdesc and see very clearly that these aren't the raw strips; they're the smoked strips.

I don't think there needs to be any redundancy by adding the same information into assess. I do think it'd be important for the staff to add a flag to anything that says it's smoked, but isn't decaying like smoked, so that it will behave appropriately.

Also I LOVE the twist to the foods that are skinned at the same time but don't go poof at the exact same time. It gives a player at least a chance at having a bite before the whole bag full goes poof.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 16, 2015, 07:52:21 AM
I do think it'd be important for the staff to add a flag to anything that says it's smoked, but isn't decaying like smoked, so that it will behave appropriately.

The obvious ones (with smoked/ect. In their sdesc) should have this flag already.

Food preserving containers should straight up just stop food from aging, in my opinion, but be very expensive. It would cause people who are losing their minds over the planning logistics of having to organize food and timing management for events step back and blow out a sigh of relief.