Climb changes -- Discussion Thread

Started by nessalin, October 26, 2015, 08:40:13 AM

There is (or was) a bug with flee and the Climb changes.

If you fled from combat from a non-climbcheck room into an adjacent room that was a climbcheck room, you would automagically fall.   In a pit, over the edge of a cliff.  Didn't matter how good your climb was or why you ended up in that room.

It would give you the standard "you let go, jerk"  "Hahahahaha!"  "Nice move, dumbass" kind of message and down you'd go.

This would really suck when you would flee and your character would randonly get sent going in the Up direction, like if you were at the base of a mesa or something.   Up you'd flee, then you would automatically fall on your ass, take falling damage, be flat on your back and be right back in the same room with the aggro creature you just tried to hauled ass from.

So... um... the last climb fix help with this?  Pleeease?  I don't want to test it anymore.  Ever.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I think you only flee up unless you choose it or it is the only way out now, Seeker.

Quote from: Inks on November 30, 2015, 06:53:36 PM
I think you only flee up unless you choose it or it is the only way out now, Seeker.

I believe he means if, perhaps, you are fighting a scrab near the shield wall, and need to flee. Without a good flee skill, you might flee to the climb room which, because running/flee/???? doesn't give you a climb check, you just fall. Or at least, that is what is described.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 30, 2015, 08:12:17 PM
Quote from: Inks on November 30, 2015, 06:53:36 PM

I believe he means if, perhaps, you are fighting a scrab near the shield wall, and need to flee. Without a good flee skill, you might flee to the climb room which, because running/flee/???? doesn't give you a climb check, you just fall. Or at least, that is what is described.

Nope - meant what I typed.  You guys are silly.  Do the field research before discounting your buddy's sincere claims as bogus.  Pfffft.

Riev is right in what he is describing:  if you do flee to the edge of the Shield Wall, you will tumble, regardless of your skill.  The same for any climbcheck room that you flee into.  You will be getting the "You let go.  Bad Move." message and you are going to be falling.

I also meant that if you type "flee" when engaged in combat (in at least some locations), there is a random chance that you will flee in the Up direction if it is available as a climbable exit.  Then, in the room above the one you were fighting in, after I assume sprinting up the side of the wall, you will automatically get the "You let go.  Bad Move" message and then tumble down a few moments later to take damage and be prone or possibly unconscious in the room you just fled from.  This is not supposition.  This is experience.  And then disbelieving retested experiences.

For what its worth, your NPC opponent will be completely freaked out and flee the room when you tumble back into it of the sky.  But, if they are aggro, they will come back slavering.  Sometimes before you can stand back up, if you are conscious.

Hence, I think it is probably a bug and why I was asking about it.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

You always fall if you climb while mounted, after changing rooms.

My PC with decent climb fled randomly Up to escape a carru. Or was she bashed maybe...different?     (Then she got Rebooted back the other side of the Span while considering her options.)                                       

But, but...

That was a CLASSIC running joke. Now it's ruined.

Now just the sergeant dies. Of coarse no one is forcing you to stop following.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on December 01, 2015, 07:46:46 PM

The wild-eyed, mangy breed shouts, in southern-accented sirihish, before charging northwards also, "FOR THE SARGE!"

If I play a half-giant I'm jumping with the sarge ever time.

Can we change guard so that if the Sergeant walks off the cliff and you're guarding them, you can try to "Push yourself in front of the tall, muscular man" and fall in his place?

Quote from: KankWhisperer on December 01, 2015, 08:23:52 PM
If I play a half-giant I'm jumping with the sarge ever time.

And wishing up to land on them?
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 01, 2015, 08:45:51 PM

Can we change guard so that if the Sergeant walks off the cliff and you're guarding them, you can try to "Push yourself in front of the tall, muscular man" and fall in his place?
Make master guards able to pull people back into rooms.

I'd say you could type "guard n" if you were quick enough, but then you'd just nod and watch them pass as they plummet to a near certain demise.

Aww no more lemurs over the cliff?  :'(
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

@bast:

nosave climbfollow

Now you can WILLINGLY leap to your doom!

December 03, 2015, 01:25:06 PM #66 Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:33:19 PM by nauta
Quote from: Bast on December 03, 2015, 01:08:17 PM
Aww no more lemurs over the cliff?  :'(

Hehe, it's lemmings, and that's totally a Disney lie!  #lemmingsNOsuicide #lemmingsfalseflag

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

(Although someone doing the same film with the narrator dubbed out and Arm lore dubbed in... that'd be funny.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago