Bank Changes Discussion Thread

Started by Marauder Moe, August 03, 2015, 01:26:52 PM

Quote from: KankWhisperer on August 03, 2015, 03:17:15 PM
But where are thieves  going to keep ill gotten gains.

....The same place everyone else is. On them or in their apartments/safe havens/in Nenyuk.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I think we can all agree that Nenyuk are the true thieves.  I would imagine a PC Nenyuki would last all of a day before getting shanked by the whiteknight mob.

Welcome to Harshageddon.  Where Nenyuk can charge whatever they like because well... they can.  I don't think you guys realize that the portion of people that have tons of money is small, and of those people that have tons of money, most of them rarely use it.  Realistically Nenyuk would charge for their services... now that is able to happen.  I'm looking forward to seeing how others take these changes into account.

Nothing in Zalanthas should be safe or fair, nor should it ever be.  Murder, Corruption, & Betrayal.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Meh. I dislike it because the money weight in this game is stupid. Anything worth buying for a middle tier PC is 300-500 sid.

IMO, this just impacts the game negatively.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: valeria on August 03, 2015, 02:31:46 PM
My level of care about this change is pretty meh.  I think it's great for low status characters, but leaders having less money to do stuff with makes me much less enthused.  And it sounds like the amounts are 10%, 20%, that's ridiculously high.  If lower bank taxes were or are a clan perk, okay I guess.  Is it going to break the game for me?  No.  But I also don't think it's going to fix the economy.  Overall, not excited.

This. It seems like stretching coin is more important for these types of players. Can some sort of flat fee or reduced % be considered for nobility and maybe Important Clan Leaders (if it hasn't been already)?

I don't have a great handle on leadership spending, but a fair portion of my previous character's coin went toward clan supplies. I assume the economic problem this is targeted at is Indie Ranger with 20k in the bank rather than Fancy Schmancy Allanak Noble needing to fund the latest big game hunt or w/e.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on August 03, 2015, 03:23:51 PM
>put 5000 coins bag
>bury bag

Then in most logical rooms to bury a bag, the bag disappears because the game resets.

Coding denominations is probably a major pain in the ass.

I would imagine (I have no real idea) that reducing the weight of the "coin item" in game would be much easier.

Have we looked at possibly reducing the weight of money as it stands to go along with this change so that people actually CAN carry large amounts on them if they decide to and think that's a good idea?

I like the idea of the "tax" making people decide where they keep their money. I don't like the idea of someone saying, "Well damn, this money is so HEAVY I have to put it Nenyuk because I have no other options.". One of those is awesome. The other is a tad lame.

Quote from: Is Friday on August 03, 2015, 03:22:45 PM
Meh. I dislike it because the money weight in this game is stupid. Anything worth buying for a middle tier PC is 300-500 sid.

IMO, this just impacts the game negatively.

I think you missed the conversation about scaling?  This doesn't affect middle tier PCs so drastically unless you're hoarding wealth.  Really, this affects indie merchants the most.  This is the first time I've been sorely tempted to play a merchant.  Hardmode is best mode, suckers.

Quote from: aeglaeca on August 03, 2015, 03:25:17 PM
I don't have a great handle on leadership spending, but a fair portion of my previous character's coin went toward clan supplies.

Clan bank accounts exist for a reason--now there's a really good one for them/bank account access to those things.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Nobles and templars will be "almost" immune to this, because they have compounds that the average maxed-out burglar can't just walk into. They can deposit 100% of their stipend in a trunk in their bedroom in their estate in their compound, and take 500 sids with them when they leave (or however much they plan on spending). The reason I say "almost" immune is that they now have to get from their stash of sids to the Kadian shop, which is no longer 3 rooms away.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on August 03, 2015, 03:28:57 PM
Nobles and templars will be "almost" immune to this, because they have compounds that the average maxed-out burglar can't just walk into. They can deposit 100% of their stipend in a trunk in their bedroom in their estate in their compound, and take 500 sids with them when they leave (or however much they plan on spending). The reason I say "almost" immune is that they now have to get from their stash of sids to the Kadian shop, which is no longer 3 rooms away.

MFW I once followed a noble into their private quarters inside of their compound with one of my stealthies. Oh the opportunities this would have presented for me back then.  ;D

Quote from: Nyr on August 03, 2015, 03:28:11 PM
Quote from: aeglaeca on August 03, 2015, 03:25:17 PM
I don't have a great handle on leadership spending, but a fair portion of my previous character's coin went toward clan supplies.

Clan bank accounts exist for a reason--now there's a really good one for them/bank account access to those things.

Oh, I was actually told not to spend clan account coin on the supplies in question for what were ICly justified reasons (that also caused some IC and OOC inconvenience, hence it coming out of my PC's purse instead).

I am also sort of under the impression that (for example) if a noble wants to hire the Byn for a generic contract that the coin needs to come out of their personal stipend rather than clan accounts and that clan accounts are reserved for... (actually I don't know what they're reserved for?) Presumably large scale efforts supported by the whole house? Idk.

Hold on a moment while I start setting up a private bank for my minions and abuse clan bank access ;).

Is this a recon that has always existed  or a new thing we can react to?

So, I'm following some of the concerns about leader PCs, nobles and GMH in specific, who can't use clan accounts to conduct their projects.  Is this an oversight, or?

Quote from: aeglaeca on August 03, 2015, 03:32:34 PM

Oh, I was actually told not to spend clan account coin...

Ditto.  I've never used clan accounts for anything but depositing coin that my character wasn't supposed to be able to keep.  It was a one-way deposit sort of thing.

I assume that's going to change now?  Otherwise the staff wouldn't be mentioning this as some kind of workaround?

indie ranger with 20k isn't going to care one bit, that's like just an extra five minutes of foraging or selling crap to make up for the new fees.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Every time I've played a leader it required an Act of Nyr to allow my PC to use the clan account. Otherwise, and more specifically for nobles, it was 100% stipend for plots.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Malken on August 03, 2015, 03:41:07 PM
indie ranger with 20k isn't going to care one bit, that's like just an extra five minutes of foraging or selling crap to make up for the new fees.

No indie ranger makes 4000 in 5 minutes.  Replace that with 5+ hours, and maybe you're on to something.

I would imagine that noble/Templar/GHM family member's personal accounts would get relief as well in some regard.

I wouldn't mind House employees on the commoner level also getting a reduced tax rate, or possibly no tax rate.

We are always talking about how joining a House doesn't have enough perks as opposed to being independent. This certainly could be one.

Hey hey!

Code put in based on discussion!  Woot!

She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Kismetic on August 03, 2015, 03:40:04 PM
So, I'm following some of the concerns about leader PCs, nobles and GMH in specific, who can't use clan accounts to conduct their projects.  Is this an oversight, or?

Depends on the project.

You should request permission to use clan funds in a clan account if you are a banker/able to access that account.  It is not a slush fund to be used for your pet projects.  Best course of action:  work on pet projects that are in the clan's best interest, and convince your superiors that yes, the clan should really be doing something in that direction.  If you are unsuccessful in convincing, take your pick for why (you will generally get an answer for why, as well).  Maybe the reason isn't sound and you did a bad job explaining it.  Maybe your superior hates your PC.  Maybe it isn't actually something the clan would be interested in doing. 

When in doubt, blame Nyr.  I contributed nothing to this change except to post about it and add some documentation for it.  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on August 03, 2015, 03:17:15 PM
But where are thieves  going to keep ill gotten gains.

The fun thing you realize after playing a thief for a while is that everyone is a storage space for your coins.

Well, yet another big reason to prioritize strength over any other stat for an indie :)

Quote from: Nyr on August 03, 2015, 03:48:56 PM
Quote from: Kismetic on August 03, 2015, 03:40:04 PM

Depends on the project.

You should request permission to use clan funds in a clan account if you are a banker/able to access that account.  It is not a slush fund to be used for your pet projects.  Best course of action:  work on pet projects that are in the clan's best interest, and convince your superiors that yes, the clan should really be doing something in that direction.  If you are unsuccessful in convincing, take your pick for why (you will generally get an answer for why, as well).  Maybe the reason isn't sound and you did a bad job explaining it.  Maybe your superior hates your PC.  Maybe it isn't actually something the clan would be interested in doing. 

When in doubt, blame Nyr.  I contributed nothing to this change except to post about it and add some documentation for it.  :)

Well, I suppose you could look at this as encouraging nobles to be more sensible with their projects, but the world, by my thinking, sort of runs on the trickle-down of these "damned fool idealistic crusades" that nobles and GMHs dream up.  It'll be interesting to see how it pans out, at least.

And it's all your fault, and you can take that to the bank.