Discussion thread: Assorted Game Changes

Started by Adhira, April 05, 2015, 01:16:36 AM

Re: The GMH Hunters thread

Is making items craftable something that would be acceptable
through Builders?
i.e.-Kadius's staffers post a project to make craftable all Kadius-tagged cloaks.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

It's something that might be acceptable further down the track, if we can figure out a way to give access to the crafting tool without access to other parts of the site. Right now that isn't possible without an investment of time to get that working. We'd rather focus on what we can do now and look at rolling that part out later on.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Talia on April 07, 2015, 11:37:34 AM
Quote from: Cavaticus on April 07, 2015, 09:47:01 AM
As an example, my mortal account (which does not have 8 karma), only has one point for contribution.

Ditto. And I only got my point for contribution by putting in for a karma review. There's no "handing out karma" that's happening. Staff are treated just like other players in this regard, as Builders will be.
So what you're telling me is: You wouldn't give me more karma last review because then I'd have more karma than you.

U mad bro?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Adhira on April 07, 2015, 09:08:27 PM
It's something that might be acceptable further down the track, if we can figure out a way to give access to the crafting tool without access to other parts of the site. Right now that isn't possible without an investment of time to get that working. We'd rather focus on what we can do now and look at rolling that part out later on.

Thanks for all the answers to our questions (not to mention the quick turn around time). I know I've asked more than my share!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

April 09, 2015, 03:09:57 PM #154 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:41:45 PM by Molten Heart
Will builders, like other staff, have the option to have more than one living character at one time?

And if not, would this be something staff might considered for builders?
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 09, 2015, 03:10:31 PM
Why would they need that?

Why would anyone need that? Though it is a nice perk.

-James Brown

I don't think the point is to give out extra perks.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

It seems an unnecessary indulgence. Maybe I'm wrong, bu tStaff don't really get two characters, they get a jokesy avatar and the ability to run a "normal" character with some restrictions. (No sponsored or leader roles, etc.). And this is after they generally have to store their current PC at the time of joining staff, since they can't have a PC in the same area they're staffing.

Plus if you give the Builders two characters to play with they'll probably have even less time to build.

April 09, 2015, 03:35:43 PM #160 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:43:56 PM by Jeax
Quote from: Cavaticus on April 09, 2015, 03:25:05 PM
Most staff don't even have one PC.

Cavaticus is just bragging here, as he/she has actually twelve PCs, one of which is a Mantis that quad-wields lightsabers.

Edit: I am just BS'ing here, by the way. I don't want anyone to miss the sarcasm and think I'm accusing Cavaticus of being a dirty Staff member.

Yeah I know... terrible thing to ask. I'll retract the question...

-James Brown

Don't feel discouraged from asking questions. I don't think anyone is reprimanding you.

Quote from: Molten Heart on April 09, 2015, 03:09:57 PM
Will builders, like other staff, have the option to have more than one living characters at one time?

And if not, would this be something staff might considered for builders?

I'm going to go with "no." (And I feel pretty confident about that.) Staff members are restricted from playing many roles in the game--we can't play sponsored leaders, we can't play in any clans in our own clan group, we can't take up more than 2 spots collectively in certain clans, we can't play certain roles in certain clans unless no one else is playing them. That's why staff members have the option to play more than 1 living PC, because we may be forced into playing in areas that are less desirable to us individually, and may encounter a lot of downtime in areas where there just aren't any other PCs. Builders will not be restricted in what they can play as players, so they don't need to have the option to play more than one PC.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

April 09, 2015, 05:09:11 PM #164 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:25:41 PM by Molten Heart
Quote from: MeTekillot on April 09, 2015, 03:52:11 PM
Don't feel discouraged from asking questions. I don't think anyone is reprimanding you.

Thanks for the concern MeTekillot. I'm less discouraged and feeling reprimanded than I am trying to dissuade what I see as the unneeded dissenting opinion of some. I know staff will decide for themselves what and how they want to do things and didn't want to turn the thread into a debate over the merits of this idea.

While being on staff has many restrictions, there are also many perks. And while the perks don't outweigh the responsibility and work load staff have, they do offset them. From what I've read, the builder job has few if any perks. This would be a simple and easy perk that staff could easily monitor.

-James Brown

The perk is being able to contribute to the game in a meaningful, lasting fashion, without having to store your character or give up your ability to play a full range of roles.

Yup. The perk of being a builder is, well, being able to build!

Builders will not be staff members. They will be regular players who have been given a special "builder avatar" that will have just enough code access to create rooms, objects, and NPCs. They'll have none of the responsibilities or restrictions that staff members operate under.

April 09, 2015, 05:29:05 PM #167 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:43:54 PM by Molten Heart
Quote from: Cavaticus on April 09, 2015, 05:18:54 PM
Yup. The perk of being a builder is, well, being able to build!

Builders will not be staff members. They will be regular players who have been given a special "builder avatar" that will have just enough code access to create rooms, objects, and NPCs. They'll have none of the responsibilities or restrictions that staff members operate under.

I guess it's just semantics. Having a special avatar with coded access that's used to effect the game world on an OOC level seems like the deffinition of staff to me, even if the avatar has limited access. But I'm cool not calling them staff members.

-James Brown

Additional perk: Seeing me frequently "lololololol" and other inanities on the builder communication channel. I'm a lot of fun to hang out with, come see! (SHUT UP CAVATICUS.)
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Molten Heart on April 09, 2015, 05:29:05 PM
I guess it's just semantics.

In a game which exists entirely in the textual realm, semantics is pretty important! :)

I think staff should get more perks :-)

-James Brown

Quote from: Molten Heart on April 09, 2015, 05:45:57 PM
I think staff should get more perks :-)

Being able to take part in the production of something you really enjoy is a perk all by itself. To view being on Staff as a seat of positional authority that gives you perks I believe is a communally harmful mindset. I would find it really cool just to do something and be like "People are able to enjoy this because I made it!" -- in past MUDs, I've actually found this more fun than playing.

For me, it's the same thing as taking part in an open source software project. I used to work on the SWGEmu project, for example. A lot of people wanted to "become developers" so that they could just run their private servers of 4 people or so and enable Jedi and have god powers, etc. I was just a really huge fan of the original SWG, so I just really liked seeing the project come to life, and every time there were a few hundred people on the main server playing, I could go log on and see them using new code that I'd committed--that was my perk :)

Perks are perspective, is my point. If Staff were interested in having multiple PCs that they could whack out and take leadership positions, etc, Armageddon would suffer for it. I'm extremely glad they have such strict policies on themselves, and that they treat themselves like players. That speaks well of what they are here for.

/rant

Quote from: Delirium on April 09, 2015, 05:17:04 PM
The perk is being able to contribute to the game in a meaningful, lasting fashion, without having to store your character or give up your ability to play a full range of roles.

Sagenod.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 09, 2015, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: Delirium on April 09, 2015, 05:17:04 PM

Sagenod.

You get your IRE preset emotes out of here right now.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Is anyone else having storage room capacity problems now that this change is in?