Discussion thread: Assorted Game Changes

Started by Adhira, April 05, 2015, 01:16:36 AM

Re: Builders - Love it. A long time coming and I'm glad to see our current staff implementing it effectivly.

Re: ArmageddonMud GDB account - Love it. Such a simple idea, that I can't believe was never thought of before!

Re: fixing staff members zone privilages - I always found it very frustrating when there was an item you wanted but didn't have the privs to load it. Great fix.

Re: Zone changes to reduce reimbursements - Another great change. Anything that reduces staff workload and player frustration is a great change.

Re: Allowing PC descriptions to be changed online. Very helpful for plots that need it. Yay.

Re: GMH warehouse changes. I'm really glad you guys have a handle on how it will work! :)

As always, thanks for your hard work for the enjoyment of the players.

Someone says, out of character:
     "no, the mace did not explode, that was his testicle"

Quote from: Kol on April 06, 2015, 05:24:43 PM
I would assume you could propose it after a probation period.

Unless you're talking about coding, which is a different ballgame...

Coding is an entirely different ballgame of wax. The majority of staff never touch the code. So yeah, the Builder position has nothing to do with code, although understanding basic stuff about code is helpful.

As I said--I don't think it's been determined whether or not Builders will be able to make proposals. Thus, I wouldn't assume anything. But as I explained, does that mean there is no way at all for a Builder to put ideas out there to staff? Of course not, since it's all about relationships. (Really, I can't emphasize enough how important relationships are to the well-oiled staff machine.)
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

My bad. I was assuming the good relationship.

I'll listen to S.L Jackson in future.  :D
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

April 06, 2015, 05:41:04 PM #128 Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:46:36 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: Talia on April 06, 2015, 05:35:20 PM
(Really, I can't emphasize enough how important relationships are to the well-oiled staff machine.)

I doubt that the same level of relationship is needed for a builder. You say, "build this", and the builder goes off and builds this or not. If not, say goodbye and sign up another builder. Since the former builder is not really in the loop, game-wise, no harm done.

My concern here is that people who delight in socializing and pleasing others won't necessarily be the best builders or coders. That's not what they get their rewards from. Don't cripple the project before it begins, please.

(As for coding, is DMPL or some equivalent still around? It would be great if that could fall into the builder realm too, but even just the room/object/mob stuff is good).

Quote from: Eyeball on April 06, 2015, 05:41:04 PM
Quote from: Talia on April 06, 2015, 05:35:20 PM
(Really, I can't emphasize enough how important relationships are to the well-oiled staff machine.)

I doubt that the same level of relationship is needed for a builder. You say, "build this", and the builder goes off and builds this or not. If not, say goodbye and sign up another builder. Since the former builder is not really in the loop, game-wise, no harm done.

My concern here is that people who delight in socializing and pleasing others won't necessarily be the best builders or coders. That's not what they get their rewards from. Don't cripple the project before it begins, please.

(As for coding, is DMPL or some equivalent still around? It would be great if that could fall into the builder realm too, but even just the room/object/mob stuff is good).

I think Talia was responding to wheather builder can propose projects of their own. If they have a good relationship with staff, then that might be a possibility. That's my take on it at least.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Just a note - I've had a busy day but I'm going to post a synopsis explaining the process and limitations of the Builder Role here very shortly! Sorry for the delay.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Well, I certainly don't think the inherent worth of a proposal should be tied to the author's ability to play social politics, but I also don't think that's how it was meant.

More that if you're not an asshole, show an understanding of the game's needs, and work well with others, you can build up the necessary trust.

I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Quote from: Delirium on April 06, 2015, 05:54:48 PM
Well, I certainly don't think the inherent worth of a proposal should be tied to the author's ability to play social politics, but I also don't think that's how it was meant.

More that if you're not an asshole, show an understanding of the game's needs, and work well with others, you can build up the necessary trust.

I think that's perfectly reasonable.

This is basically what I meant. It's akin to Storytellers who are on probation--they can't make proposals, but they can certainly chat about ideas with more senior Storytellers, or with Admins/Producers, and proposals do come out of that. The "Halloween" plot we did last year in Allanak was the result of just that sort of collaboration, because Cerys and Eukelade and I were hanging around and saying, "Wouldn't it be fun to..." Then Cerys made the proposal because she wasn't on probation.
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

April 06, 2015, 06:15:18 PM #133 Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:17:20 PM by wizturbo
I'm just glad to see the builder role become a thing.  More time for storytellers to eat brains, animate and cause general mayhem, which will lead to happier staff...  But honestly I think the players are going to get more out of this than the staff.  

I think many players have a deep desire to contribute and make a lasting impact on this game they love so much, and doing so in-character has been the only avenue to do so in the past.   Most roles in Zalanthas do not result in lasting impacts, that's how Zalanthas is...you live, die and are forgotten in the sands of time.  This lets players scratch that itch to leave a legacy, which i think will lead to happier players who are less prone to frustration due to IC events.

I'm coming late to the party here, and my fellow staff members have addressed some of the questions about the Builder role, but I'll make another post with a short recap that hopefully will clarify things a little. Some of what I'm writing may contradict information already given. Please forgive us, this has been a rapidly evolving conversation/project and things have been changing as we've been experimenting with different ideas and realized that certain things won't work in ways we've envisoned. Consider this post the 'official' where we're at 'right now'.

First - As mentioned we never intended to create this kind of role. We are moving forward with it based on player suggestions that indicated that there were people amongst that playerbase that were interested in a role that was:

- Not a full-fledged staff role
- Allowed them to contribute
- Were interested in building
- Were data oriented/detail oriented
- Didn't mind 'drudge work'
- Wanted to volunteer some time
- Didn't want to join staff and have the all the secrets revealed, but wanted to do more

And a whole host of other types of phrases which we boiled down into: Builder Role.

Below is a brief explanation about the Builder Role. Please bear in mind that we are just starting out here. Things may change. Initially we are starting SMALL. This means 2 or 3 Builders only. We're going to be testing things. We're going to be seeing how this works. We may change things based on that, in fact I fully expect that there will be alterations to both the process of how we do the nitty gritty of the role, and perhaps some of the overall vision for the role. But initially this is how we see things moving forward.

This role may not fulfill the wants and desires of everyone. Just like the current Staffing roles do not. But there may be some players out there that this Role resonates for. If so, I hope to have finished up the testing that I need to do to get this role actionable, as well as completed my work on documentation by this weekend. So expect to see an announcement about applications by then.

What is the Builder Role?

The Builder is a volunteer Role. It is NOT a staff position. This role will not be have access to the Staff Documentation, the Staff website, the Request tool etc. It is a TRUSTED postion. They will have access to a Builders section of the Immortal Discussion Board. They will be exposed to the database, they will get access to objects, rooms and NPCs. Some secrets will be revealed.

They will get - to choose a Builder Name. They will have access to the game port with a Builder Avatar. That Builder Avatar will be granted immortal commands that allow them to:

- Create and Edit rooms
- Create and Edit objects
- Create and Edit NPCs

There will be a 'Builders Chat Channel' that existing staff will also have access to in game. This will allow Builders to ask questions while on the game port and Staff to interact and confer with them.

Staff members (Producers, Administrators, Storytellers) will post projects to the Builders Discussion forum. Builders are free to choose projects that they would like to work on. Project choice is entirely voluntary.

Builders are not obligated to work on any projects that they are not interested in. We expect that working on a project as a Builder will be much like working on a team project is now. A collaborative effort. There will be back and forth, discussion about the project as a whole, vision and so on.

The Builder role is akin to the current situation where a staff member puts up a call for submissions and a player responds.  There is added depth because instead of just submitting items, NPCs and room descriptions the Builder gets access to the game port and immortal commands and the ability to fully build and describe their work. Builder gets to exercise their creativity within their descriptions and their interpretation of the project.

An example of a project that will be on the Project Board:

- Allanak Clay Pits.

This project was previously posted on our own staff project board.

My request - Allanak needs a Clay Pit.
Cerys answer - I can work on that. Can it be like the Obsidian Mines?
My answer - Ohh, it should be something scary then? Will they go down tunnels to dig in it?
Cerys answer - Yes. Many scary and informative pictures.
My answer - responding with pictures in kind.
Cerys answer - I can work with that, let me write something up!

Cerys and I reached an agreement on a general theme and location and how many rooms should be built. Unfortunately Cerys then had REAL LIFE get in the way and had to move to the legend position. So this project will once again be up for grabs.

Some projects will come with specific details that need to be met, you may find some are more vague and will allow the Builder to define much more of the actual scope. It's going to vary from project to project, depending on what need we are trying to fill.

Some examples of other projects that may appear on the Project Board:

- NPC Creation for GMH Warehouse Order NPCs
- List of Food Objects that need updating for Taste/Scent messages
- Dormitory Style Apartment Creation for Allanak
- Mount Variety Project

etc.

What are the limitations for the Builder Role?

This is not a role for those who want a free for all environment to build whatever they please for the game. This is assignment based building only. The direction and vision for what is built will still come from the staffing team.

This may seem harsh. It is not meant to be. For many years, at least the last 15 or so (Sanvean put this in place) the building philosophy of Armageddon has been not to build for buildings sake. The creation of these roles does not change that. Building still needs to happen for a purpose. Currently building in the game is tied to what we are trying to achieve within the game world via storyline, or game direction. That direction for the game still comes from the staffing team. They are the people best placed to see what is happening within the game, and make the decision for what is needed.

Builders will not be able to make proposals. As previously stated this is assignment based building only, we hope to have a large variety of projects. We hope that there will be something in there that is inspiring. There will be space on the forum for Builders to raise discussion and bring to light topics and make suggestions. While Builders won't be officially Staff, they will be on the game port with us, they will be on a chat channel with us, and we hope that we will all work together on our common goals and try and create a working environment where there is some satisfaction for all.

What about Burnout, Feeling Uninspired, Wanting more Creative Input?

Again - this is a new role, things may evolve. The caveat is - No one should apply for this role with the expectation that things will change and they will get to make proposals and design their own parts of the world.

We'll do our best not to be too rigid, too stifling, to give some leeway. We'll have a board where you can make suggestions. Where staff can discuss things with you. We'll have the chat channel in game, we expect to be part of a team! That's how things get traction. There will be plenty of documentation posted that will help give you an idea of what we're looking for when we're doing building projects, and even what we ask Staff for when they're making proposals, so you'll have a good idea from the get go of the kinds of things we're doing and what might be likely to come your way.

For those that do want a role where they get to make proposals to change the game world, to make additions, to alter how things are done - this isn't that role. For that you do need to join the Staffing Team. But hopefully this role will appeal to some. If we find that it doesn't, then we can re-evaluate, and alter, or scrap the idea. But we figure it's worth a shot, and it seemed there was enough interest and desire out there for us to give something like this a go that we wanted to make the opportunity available to you all.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

That sounds amazing.

I can see noble and GMH roles becoming more attractive with the prospect of faster turnaround times on mastercrafts.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Please don't put in Builder applications until a call has been announced in the Staff Announcements forum. We're not ready to take applications yet. Thanks!

it's probably not kosher to use "Bob" as your builder name, huh?
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: TheWanderer on April 06, 2015, 10:45:16 PM

I totally reserved Bob on the first page of this thread!

Back off TheWanderer! :P
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: TheWanderer on April 06, 2015, 10:45:16 PM

Or Baobob...
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Will builders be allowed to play their character and be logged in to work on building projects at the same time?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Builders will have the same rule as storytellers on that subject - which means no.

Quote from: adriannetwork on April 07, 2015, 01:58:12 AM
Hopefully with the new builder roll the staff can focus on optimizing the game even further.

QUESTION:
Would being a builder give you "contributes to the game" karma?
I don't want to see this become a reality.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on April 07, 2015, 02:14:03 AM
I don't want to see this become a reality.

Reality is, I highly doubt they're going to give this kind of trusted position to someone who doesn't already have a fair amount of Karma.

I personally have no problem with people who are trusted, contributors to the game to get karma for proving it.

April 07, 2015, 08:21:29 AM #145 Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:26:12 AM by Cavaticus
Will it automatically give you a point of karma in that category? No. Will your record and body of work as a builder weigh into that category when you go up for karma review? I don't see why it wouldn't.

Im so excited, and I just cant hide it....
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Quote from: Cavaticus on April 07, 2015, 08:21:29 AM
Will it automatically give you a point of karma in that category? No. Will your record and body of work as a builder weigh into that category when you go up for karma review? I don't see why it wouldn't.
I thought karma bonuses for being on staff was no longer applicable once you left staff? i.e. you went back to your last karma number prior to staff once you hit Legend status. I'm not convinced that handing out karma for this is warranted if we're following the same philosophy.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

You're correct that karma reverts to pre-staff levels upon retiring, but if a former staff member puts in for a karma review, their time on staff can count towards the "contributes to the game" category. It's not automatic, but it does weigh in.

As an example, my mortal account (which does not have 8 karma), only has one point for contribution.

Quote from: Cavaticus on April 07, 2015, 09:47:01 AM
As an example, my mortal account (which does not have 8 karma), only has one point for contribution.

Ditto. And I only got my point for contribution by putting in for a karma review. There's no "handing out karma" that's happening. Staff are treated just like other players in this regard, as Builders will be.