City-elves and stuff.

Started by Patuk, September 28, 2014, 05:49:39 PM

Adding a bit of life to the world would give PCs more to react to, talk about, remember, etc. Might actually enforce more realistic behaviour in a lot of cases.

Which means more PCs would have world experience from actually experiencing the world.

Which might lead to more interesting PCs overall

Wrong thread
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Your thread has been repurposed. No, I'm joking. You're right. I'll split all this scripting talk into it's own thread when I get home to a computer ... random thought: I need a laptop.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

October 09, 2014, 12:38:34 PM #153 Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:42:38 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: Reiloth on October 09, 2014, 04:41:50 AM
I dunno.

I'd rather like, play with PCs.

It sounds like you'd be happy if NPCs were removed altogether and the citiy gates locked.

However, NPCs, hunting, surviving travel and exploration are an important part of the game for some players.

That's a pretty in depth analysis! How'd you get there?

There's plenty of single player games I can play with lots of NPCs, like Skyrim.

I play Armageddon for the interaction it provides with other players in a shared story.

While some of this stuff sounds cool, it also sounds like a big time-sink. And I personally wouldn't gain much from more complex NPC scripting (my imagination works just fine). While we're speculating, I thought I would offer the other side of the scale -- The "I don't really care about this" side.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on October 09, 2014, 01:50:02 PM
That's a pretty in depth analysis! How'd you get there?

There's plenty of single player games I can play with lots of NPCs, like Skyrim.

I play Armageddon for the interaction it provides with other players in a shared story.

While some of this stuff sounds cool, it also sounds like a big time-sink. And I personally wouldn't gain much from more complex NPC scripting (my imagination works just fine). While we're speculating, I thought I would offer the other side of the scale -- The "I don't really care about this" side.

Realistic interaction with other PC's also doesn't require scripting support.  Interaction with the world at large, including NPC's, which is what the entire interaction with PC's is embedded into, does.  It's great that you want to try and make it appear foolish to interact in a meaningful, character-driven way with Zalanthas, but for some people, the element of a living, breathing world outside of apartments and taverns is important.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

::)

oversimplification is simple
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Reiloth is saying he'd rather staff focus on something more important to the game world than making a horde of different animals flee just because you want them to flee. There are better things for them to spend their time on.

LIKE CITY ELVES AMIRITE!?

What elves?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

October 10, 2014, 02:53:40 PM #159 Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:55:40 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: Saellyn on October 10, 2014, 11:16:07 AM
Reiloth is saying he'd rather staff focus on something more important to the game world than making a horde of different animals flee just because you want them to flee. There are better things for them to spend their time on.

Except it wasn't just about having them flee, for Krath's sake. Read what we write please.

EDIT: and if it was about making them flee, all staff would have to do is set a few flags.  ::)

Quote from: Patuk on October 10, 2014, 02:15:52 PM
What elves?

And with that, I think that this thread has served its purpose.  We mentioned earlier exactly what we are working on in general terms and that we have some areas to address with elves.  There is an active discussion going on with administrative staff regarding the direction they are going to go.  You'll see the results when they're available.  If you are not satisfied with the speed at which staff works on this, please put in a staff complaint and save your thoughtful contributions for that venue where it will be given due consideration.

Quote from: Eyeball on October 10, 2014, 02:53:40 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on October 10, 2014, 11:16:07 AM

Except it wasn't just about having them flee, for Krath's sake. Read what we write please.

EDIT: and if it was about making them flee, all staff would have to do is set a few flags.  ::)

Also, it is continually being derailed.  If you want to discuss scripting or coding stuff, there is already a thread for that.

Thanks!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

As Nyr pointed out, we are discussing city-elves. They are pretty high on the list of things we plan to do/finish/introduce, but they aren't #1.

(They are #3 on my own list, but that doesn't matter as much.)