September Voting!

Started by valeria, September 01, 2014, 10:28:37 AM

It's September now guys.  We sort of flagged last month, but I feel like we can really pull it out and snap up some new players going into autumn.

Right now we are #26 on TMS and unranked in TMC.  We can do so much better!
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I voted!  Did you?!

You should!

I voted.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think it might be fun to be in the top 20. Let's do that. Let's also vote on TMC and get back the #1 spot we've held for two months.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

473rd on TMC. Stop looking at nude pics of Katniss and vote you lazy bastards.

16th on TMS!
Fredd-

I'm curious to know what the in out numbers mean on TMS.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

It means who clicked from TMS to the ArmMUD homepage, I believe.
Fredd-

I suck at remembering to vote. But if you wanted to be reminded to vote, one of the tools I posted will remind you! (FWIW)

Arm Clock (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the update on voting)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

19th on TMS. I think we can do better than that.

At least we're back to #1 on TMC (where we belong).  We're now #18 on TMS.  The gaps at this point are only a few votes so there's no reason we can't grab some ranks.

Let's shoot for the ten spot.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Only 29 votes ... 2md day of September. Please, guys, please. Seriously.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

But remember, go big or go home.  Top 10 just means we're visible.  Top 5 nets actual results in terms of new accounts attributed to this site.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

◐‿◑  ლʕಠᴥಠʔლ 
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ (屮゚Д゚)屮

On TMS, we need 9 votes to get into the top 10, and 50 votes to get into the top 5.

5 votes is 25 people.

We totally have 25 people.

I think everyone from new worlds ateraan should switch to arm for the true rp experience. I'm still new to Arm but I love it. Got my vote.

Ten votes on TMS would put us in the top 10.  Let's do it this morning!

Quote from: BeyondCreation on September 03, 2014, 10:35:55 PM
I think everyone from new worlds ateraan should switch to arm for the true rp experience. I'm still new to Arm but I love it. Got my vote.

Yay!

There is no reason why we couldn't make a comeback.

Currently #1 on TMC guys!

18 on TMS, lets boost that up a bit, vote!
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Aardwolf crowding us on TMC.

I voted, I'm not saying that makes me better than those of you who aren't voting....but....

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Aardwolf one vote from taking first from us.

we at 17
v
o
t
e
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

If we just had about ten more people consistently voting we would skyrocket up the ranks of TMS and probably finish the month around top 7.

Just saying, ten people is not many.

9 now.

I'm always confused about how we maintain first place on TMC, the site where you have to login to vote, and we aren't breaking the top ten on TMS, which has an arguably less tamper-proof system, even though we are competing against the same games.

Seems legit to me....

It is a mystery.  I know that Midkemia, #2 on TMS, has a comparable playerbase size to us (probably a bit smaller even).

One vote lead. Not comfortable.

It could be proxy voting, but we also benefit from a lack of global OOC player communications, where I'm sure you have players reminding each other with links and timer scripts on a regular basis.

Integrity yo.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: Desertman on September 16, 2014, 10:26:17 AM
I'm always confused about how we maintain first place on TMC, the site where you have to login to vote, and we aren't breaking the top ten on TMS, which has an arguably less tamper-proof system, even though we are competing against the same games.
Seems legit to me....

That's because nobody cares about TMC. Getting new players from TMC these days is just like getting new players because of the Big Bang Theory or because "yer mom shouted the address out while i was bangin her"
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on September 16, 2014, 03:18:28 PM
Seems legit to me....

That's because nobody cares about TMC. Getting new players from TMC these days is just like getting new players because of the Big Bang Theory or because "yer mom shouted the address out while i was bangin her"

What are you talking about?

Quote from: Desertman on September 16, 2014, 03:35:14 PM
Quote from: Malken on September 16, 2014, 03:18:28 PM
Seems legit to me....

What are you talking about?

I'm saying that TMC is useless and that's why nearly no other muds put effort into it, while TMS is where it's at.

It's not the fact that you are #1 on TMC that matters to a player that ends up there, he/she probably googled a few words related to Armageddon (like survival mud perma-death) and google sent him to TMC, so even if the mud is #1 or #100 it doesn't really matter.

-nobody- actually goes on TMC to look for a new mud, the site is such a mess to navigate through.

While on the other hand, mud players actually go on TMS by themselves and look at the muds that are in the top #10 first, then they might look 10-20.

A player that comes and says he found Armageddon from TMC is just as random as the dude that said (a couple of months ago) that he found Armageddon from "Big Bang Theory" and "yer mom".

Nyr's statistics always seem to say that we get a huge chunk of newbies from TMC.

Briefly looking at Midkemia, I believe they have an in-game reminder echo to vote.  I certainly don't want to see that in Armageddon, though.

I forget... do we have a regulation/guideline/suggestion to limit voting reminders to this subforum?  If not, maybe a post every now and then in Random Armageddon Thoughts or A Random Thought might help get people voting regularly again.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 16, 2014, 03:44:08 PM
Nyr's statistics always seem to say that we get a huge chunk of newbies from TMC.

Briefly looking at Midkemia, I believe they have an in-game reminder echo to vote.  I certainly don't want to see that in Armageddon, though.

I forget... do we have a regulation/guideline/suggestion to limit voting reminders to this subforum?  If not, maybe a post every now and then in Random Armageddon Thoughts or A Random Thought might help get people voting regularly again.

I have a very hard time to believe that there were actually 118 accounts that came from TMC and created a character on Armageddon (not saying that Nyr made up the numbers, but something is definitely weird). Seriously, think about it.. 118 accounts on TMC vs 18 on TMS and nobody ever cares about TMC - But while you don't have to create an account at all, you guys went from an easy 7-9 position on TMS to struggling to keep in the upper 15-19 in the last few months.

Why -do- people say they come from TMC is what I'd like to know. I'm pretty sure that I'm right when it's the fact that they googled up some words and google sent them to Arm's TMC page more than them actually finding Arm by browsing the TMC list.

As a SEO ninja kung fu master, this is quite interesting to me. I'll research it a little further when I have more time today.

Except if you look back at last year when we were much higher on TMS for a few months:  http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,45208.0.html
Also look at the next month after that report: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,45410.0.html

New accounts reporting they came from TMS had numbers much more comparable to those from TMC when we were high in the rankings.

If someone is searching for Armageddon MUD, then they already know it exists and wouldn't put the TMC hit as their source.  When I was shopping for MUDs, I'd look at multiple sites and survey the top 5-10 of each.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 16, 2014, 04:01:21 PM
Except if you look back at last year when we were much higher on TMS for a few months:  http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,45208.0.html
Also look at the next month after that report: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,45410.0.html

New accounts reporting they came from TMS had numbers much more comparable to those from TMC when we were high in the rankings.

If someone is searching for Armageddon MUD, then they already know it exists and wouldn't put the TMC hit as their source.  When I was shopping for MUDs, I'd look at multiple sites and survey the top 5-10 of each.

No, I'm not saying that people are searching for "Armageddon MUD", if that was the case, they would be sent straight to armageddon.org.

What I'm saying is that they are probably searching for something like, "desert-survival online game perma-death" and the fact that they are being sent to TMC instead of TMS is pretty easy to figure why.

TMC actually asks you to write a paragraph or two about your mud, which contains a lot more words and keywords, which makes google definitely love it more than TMS, which only contains a couple of lines for your mud.

So my theory is that people are being sent to TMC and they read about the mud and they are either interested or not in it (it doesn't matter for them if the mud is #1 or #100) - Which is why most muds don't care enough to fight for a position there.

And yeah, as I said TMS definitely matters, so the higher you are the more players you'll get, that's not an issue.

But like I said, I have a hard time believing that people actually creates an account on TMC and then look at the muds AND then pick one of them. I'll look at the in/out of the many links from TMC later on, I bet links from google to tmc to Armageddon are waaaaaaaay more popular than straight tmc to Armageddon.

Muh?  You don't need an account to view the TMC top 10.

Also, throwing a few sets of terms at google gives me TMS's entry for Armageddon higher than TMC's.

September 16, 2014, 04:18:36 PM #39 Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:22:27 PM by Malken
Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 16, 2014, 04:12:33 PM
Muh?  You don't need an account to view the TMC top 10.

Also, throwing a few sets of terms at google gives me TMS's entry for Armageddon higher than TMC's.

No, you're right, you don't just to check muds out. Sorry, I was mostly just rambling on. I'll focus on it when I'm not working. I want to figure out why TMC has such a huge number of people trying out Arm vs TMS.

TMC has half of the traffic that TMS gets and if TMC really mattered then all the muds (especially the money-making ones that are always in the TMS top 10) would be all over it as well.

If ONLY the people who actually take the time to vote on TMC (where they are only allowed to vote once a day) would also go and vote twice a day on TMS, that would put Armageddon into the top 3 TMS list, and that's without counting the dozens of people who never vote on TMC and only vote on TMS.

September 16, 2014, 04:21:16 PM #40 Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:24:07 PM by Marauder Moe
Maybe they believe as you do, that TMC doesn't matter, and haven't collected entry statistics the way we have to see otherwise.

EDIT: I'd also submit that site traffic has much more to do with community than with players surveying MUD's.  I doubt many of the TMC newbies were active TMC community members.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 16, 2014, 04:21:16 PM
Maybe they believe as you do, that TMC doesn't matter, and haven't collected entry statistics the way we have to see otherwise.

Don't be silly, these are the same people that tell their players to twit about the game and post in other gaming forums, yet they barely mention TMC.

Especially if number of players = RL monies, like the many IronRealms muds. Yet they are nowhere to be found in the top 10 TMC list.

So?  That doesn't have any bearing on whether or not they collect new player statistics.  It's much easier to make a tweet or a forum post every now and then than it is to implement data gathering forms.

September 16, 2014, 05:10:48 PM #43 Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:12:32 PM by Malken
Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 16, 2014, 04:28:36 PM
So?  That doesn't have any bearing on whether or not they collect new player statistics.  It's much easier to make a tweet or a forum post every now and then than it is to implement data gathering forms.

You kinda lost me.. Mudding is a 30+ years old hobby and there's really only two websites that promote muds. I'm pretty sure that 99% of the mud community knows about those websites and that 100% of the Staff on every single one of them is also aware. My question is why are they not using or fighting for a good position on TMC? Is it "worthless" like I'm saying it is or is there any other reasons?

It's not like TMC is some sort of deep secret that only Armageddon is aware of, all the other muds in the top 10 TMS list are aware of it yet they don't seem to care either.

You can also be sure that any FOR profit mud like the IronRealms ones would have done massive data gathering on the worth of TMC and yet none of them are using TMC. Why? They want players because they want money, so they whip players into voting for TMS but they never mention TMC.

Mind you, I'm not trying to prove anything here (well, other that TMC is pretty much seen as useless in the rest of the mud community - and mostly because Desertman was wondering why we are constantly #1 on TMC and have a hard time with TMS).

Quote from: Malken on September 16, 2014, 05:10:48 PMYou kinda lost me.. Mudding is a 30+ years old hobby and there's really only two websites that promote muds. I'm pretty sure that 99% of the mud community knows about those websites and that 100% of the Staff on every single one of them is also aware. My question is why are they not using or fighting for a good position on TMC? Is it "worthless" like I'm saying it is or is there any other reasons?
I submit that the reason is they don't know what it's worth.

QuoteIt's not like TMC is some sort of deep secret that only Armageddon is aware of, all the other muds in the top 10 TMS list are aware of it yet they don't seem to care either.
Awareness and value are two different things.  Lobsters used to be considered trash fish and were fed to poor people and prisoners.  People of the time were aware lobsters existed, but they didn't know that they were actually delicious.

QuoteYou can also be sure that any FOR profit mud like the IronRealms ones would have done massive data gathering on the worth of TMC and yet none of them are using TMC. Why? They want players because they want money, so they whip players into voting for TMS but they never mention TMC.
I strongly reject that assumption.  Many business dealing with far more money than Iron Realms do far less data gathering than Armageddon.

QuoteMind you, I'm not trying to prove anything here (well, other that TMC is pretty much seen as useless in the rest of the mud community - and mostly because Desertman was wondering why we are constantly #1 on TMC and have a hard time with TMS).
The problem is if we take your assumption as fact then there's little need to vote on TMC.  If we stop voting there regularly and it turns out we were mistaken about its worth, then we lose out on potential new players.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 16, 2014, 05:28:19 PM
Stuff

Again, I'm at work so my answer has to be short but -my- theory, and what I think other mud Staff believes as well, is that once you are on TMC, it doesn't matter if you are #1 or #100, because nobody (I mean, sure, there's a few exceptions), go on TMC and start looking at the list of muds from 1 to 10, like they do on TMS, but that they are SENT from another site, like bay12, google, bing, etc..

I don't accept your theory is that they don't know what the worth (or not) of TMC is. Again, there's only two websites and only been two for YEARS, it's not like it requires massive amount of manpower to research that stuff, and it's not like Nyr is the first and only Staff that would have an interest in numbers like they are displayed by the months.

Of course, I can't prove anything, all I can show for proof (for now) is that nobody seems to be fighting for TMC's top 10 and that if they actually cared to, they could kick us out of at least #1 easily and that there MUST be a reason for that.

Very well.  We seem to be stuck in a loop.  I'll stop here until more data is presented.

Though I'm also still interested in:
Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 16, 2014, 03:44:08 PMI forget... do we have a regulation/guideline/suggestion to limit voting reminders to this subforum?  If not, maybe a post every now and then in Random Armageddon Thoughts or A Random Thought might help get people voting regularly again.

Random braindump on this topic:

Anecdotally, I hold mudconnct in higher esteem then TMS, but maybe it's just been my standby for so long.

Quote from: Malken on September 16, 2014, 05:38:45 PM
Of course, I can't prove anything, all I can show for proof (for now) is that nobody seems to be fighting for TMC's top 10 and that if they actually cared to, they could kick us out of at least #1 easily and that there MUST be a reason for that.

Here are some of the things stopping them (n.b. Aardvark or whatever is making a run at us as we speak):

- Many of the successful TMS muds use prompt flags and global messages to rally their players into voting every time, on time (only 10 more votes to get into 5th place!!).  Focusing on two voting sites would force them to inundate their players with even more messages, so maybe they have chosen to play to their strength.

- A TMS vote is a "yeah whatever" vote; you can vote from any (and all) your devices in two clicks.  Your players don't have to be that enthusiastic to get these numbers, as long as you ping enough of them to vote.  (It makes perfect sense that a game with lots of casual players that uses global reminders will cream Armageddon on TMS, almost surely)

- Meanwhile mudconnect requires an email-verified account.  That's a small additional investment, but I'm sure votes drop off superexponentially as the time-investment per vote increases.  For this reason a mudconnect vote is more of a "hell yeah" vote.  (Armageddon is a high-investment MUD with what I believe is a highly enthusiastic player base, so it makes sense to me that it would beat casual games on mudconnect).
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

September 17, 2014, 10:12:30 AM #48 Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:15:41 AM by Desertman
Quote from: Malken on September 16, 2014, 05:38:45 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on September 16, 2014, 05:28:19 PM
Stuff

Again, I'm at work so my answer has to be short but -my- theory, and what I think other mud Staff believes as well, is that once you are on TMC, it doesn't matter if you are #1 or #100, because nobody (I mean, sure, there's a few exceptions), go on TMC and start looking at the list of muds from 1 to 10, like they do on TMS, but that they are SENT from another site, like bay12, google, bing, etc..

I don't accept your theory is that they don't know what the worth (or not) of TMC is. Again, there's only two websites and only been two for YEARS, it's not like it requires massive amount of manpower to research that stuff, and it's not like Nyr is the first and only Staff that would have an interest in numbers like they are displayed by the months.

I guess people who are in "the know" seem to know that TMS is where it is at.

For people who aren't in "the know" and haven't already developed opinions about what MUD is the best, TMC and TMS are equal.

I myself started playing Armageddon with no knowledge of what a MUD even was. I certainly didn't know which MUD websites were "the coolest best ones".

So it seems that TMS is where people who already play MUDs and probably already have a favorite will go to look at other MUDs, while TMC is where everyone will go/might end up.

I bet TMC gets us more people who are "new to MUDs", while TMS would be responsible for getting us more people who already play other MUDs and just want to try something different.

I might argue that Armageddon is so unique and different from other MUDs that we are better off taking a newbie from scratch and building them into a player than taking someone who already thinks they know how to play the game and trying to adapt them. But really, that would just be my, "Armageddon players are better than everyone else", showing its ugly head.

(We are better than everyone else in every way.)

Quote from: CodeMaster on September 16, 2014, 05:49:42 PM

- A TMS vote is a "yeah whatever" vote; you can vote from any (and all) your devices in two clicks.  Your players don't have to be that enthusiastic to get these numbers, as long as you ping enough of them to vote.  (It makes perfect sense that a game with lots of casual players that uses global reminders will cream Armageddon on TMS, almost surely)

- Meanwhile mudconnect requires an email-verified account.  That's a small additional investment, but I'm sure votes drop off superexponentially as the time-investment per vote increases.  For this reason a mudconnect vote is more of a "hell yeah" vote.  (Armageddon is a high-investment MUD with what I believe is a highly enthusiastic player base, so it makes sense to me that it would beat casual games on mudconnect).

This was my mindset. It seems like TMS is the "Carebear Casual" easy voting site and TMC is the "Real Mudder" site.

Again, we are better than everyone else in every way. I have no shame in admitting this.  :P

I'd be interested in seeing the referral breakdown from among the players who fall into the 6+ hours category. Those are the most important guys. If it turns out that only one out of 50 TMC referrals are sticking around, but three of 10 TMS guys are, then we obviously need to change our strategy somehow.

If it's the other way around, then we're doing great.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I don't know that a one vote lead is great. Can we get some more votes  just to be sure we lock down that 1 spot?

We're getting beat by Aardwolf on TMC.