Rinth Tips

Started by Zerero, November 16, 2013, 02:48:19 PM

I haven't touched Arm in a long time, and I never really got 'into' the game in the first place.

Of course, I have to play a rinther. So throw some tips at me? Maybe link some rinth guides or useful threads? From a somewhat brief search, I've found that a lot of supposed guides and useful links are just dead at this point in time. And no, you can't have my boots.

November 16, 2013, 02:56:53 PM #1 Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:50:52 PM by RogueGunslinger
Try to avoid going south-side except for very specific purposes, purposes that hopefully don't involve tavern sitting.

Just because you've seen it on a 'rinther doesn't mean it's safe to wear around other 'rinthers without getting attacked.

Just because someone says "Bah, nothin' wurth takin'." Doesn't mean some other NPC's won't think you -do- have something worth killing for.

Don't walk around with your 'sids in your inventory.

Don't kill the NPC's to skill-grind.

If you notice an NPC moving into the room you're in, right after you moved into it, run, odds are they're coming for you.

Don't insult every necker and their mother that you see.

Don't insult every person and their mother that you see.

Try not to start a fight in certain places.

Don't piss off the [redacted].
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

The best advice I can give you for playing in the rinth is to play an interesting PC that's cool to roleplay around--if people enjoy interacting with you they are much more likely to make you a part of their crew and have your back when things get dangerous.

On your first time back you may find it easier to play a human simply because the Jaxa Pah are currently closed for maintenance and not being able to have access to an actual clan might be a pain if you're still re-learning the game. That isn't to say it isn't doable or that there aren't great elf players in the rinth, but you may find it more difficult.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

My tip is this, really consider the environment, its a struggle to survive in a place as dangerous as the sands. The only law is that of the gangs, and that's loose at best. No one is going to drag you to the cells, very few will give you a second chance to pick their pocket again. No one is going to give to sid that your now a corpse because you simply lipped off to the wrong person. No one is likely to go after the person that made you a corpse because you lipped off.

Not to say being an antagonist is not prerequisite in some fashion for a rinthi, but when I picture the rinth I see the weak not quick to goad those bigger fellas, to spit in the eye of some gang thug er obvious sum body of influence and expect to live or not be hunted. And if your just making a throw away character to live for the three hours it takes to not re spawn then why even attempt the rinth.

Just because they are in the slums does not mean that they are born with out an inkling of wisdom, their just poor. You should consider the mental skills (and not the guild skills) it would take to survived to even a pc's starting age.

Of coarse this does not mean one has to play the meek scared little tregil either, but if you want to enjoy the rinth and not be a south sider with a rinthi slur then really put some thought into the behavior and attitude of the pc.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I love the 'naki back alleys.
Try to keep in mind less is more and enjoy the dirt and grit.
It can be lonely sometimes, so develop your solo emote/thinking lifestyle if you find that this is the case.

November 16, 2013, 09:59:18 PM #6 Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:26:45 PM by Zerero
Thanks for the advice so far, everyone. I think I'm getting the general points of surviving, at the moment.  ;D

Even if you have hid in the shadows since the day you weren't aborted, don't "hide" in the darkness of the Highlord's jail cells. It appears to be illegal or offensive behaviour.

My thoughts on the rinth:

Haul ass south down Hathor's Way and never look back. I could be wrong, I don't know. I just know there's scary shit in there that scares me. I'd like to get more experience, but it seems like death in the form of two pointy daggers is almost a certainty to any would-be explorer not well acquainted with being sneaky and the layout.

That being said I'm sure there's a lot I'm overlooking.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on November 21, 2013, 08:12:52 AM
My thoughts on the rinth:

Haul ass south down Hathor's Way and never look back. I could be wrong, I don't know. I just know there's scary shit in there that scares me. I'd like to get more experience, but it seems like death in the form of two pointy daggers is almost a certainty to any would-be explorer not well acquainted with being sneaky and the layout.

That being said I'm sure there's a lot I'm overlooking.

In all my years of playing I have never played the rinth cause of that. Scares the balls off me.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Ninjaing happens way less in the Rinth than you think, have had really good interaction in the alleys and it's not always the "Give me your 'sid or I'll carve you up" Type either. Seen some stuff in there though.

A huge advantage a new player has over other areas is probably nobody knows exactly how new you are, because almost everybody wears shitty gear. Talking smack can save your arse, or get you killed. Alias f to flee or something.

Talking smack in the Rinth is a good way to -get- killed.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Still on the same character that I had when creating this topic and I play quite actively.

The rinth is full of some amazing RPers. I've played off and on over the past two years, but this is by far my favorite character thus far.

Be patient. The rinth is big and characters can seem far between, but the interactions are worth it when people are around.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.