Tag Command

Started by Desertman, July 31, 2013, 11:57:11 AM

Maybe the tag refreshes itself on a chance-basis each time you look at or see the person in the room with you. If you separate, the more time you spend apart from the guy, the less likely the tag will survive; each additional hour spent not being in the same room with said person/seeing said person increases the risk of losing the tag.

If they log out, that wouldn't change it; it could keep your tag, but assuming they haven't been around for a while and you didn't see them, the tag would fade naturally.

Maybe the tag can disintegrate, like scribbles disintegrate, leading to possible funny confusion of a person's name.

A tall swarthy human (Bjornin) is here.

(5 hours later)

A tall swarthy human (Bjieara) has arrived from the east.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

There should be some sort of requirement to tag someone. Perhaps you cannot see a hooded person's tagged thing unless you are following them un-hooded when you give them the tag, to prevent someone tagging a hooded figure who stole from them and then running into that person at the bar and telling the Lord Templar about it.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 01, 2013, 08:03:45 PM
There should be some sort of requirement to tag someone. Perhaps you cannot see a hooded person's tagged thing unless you are following them un-hooded when you give them the tag, to prevent someone tagging a hooded figure who stole from them and then running into that person at the bar and telling the Lord Templar about it.

+1 Definitely should have the hood down in order to tag.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

August 05, 2013, 01:58:49 PM #28 Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:04:00 PM by Desertman
Quote from: MeTekillot on August 01, 2013, 08:03:45 PM

They would have to know one of the hooded figure's actual keywords, either a name, alias, or sdesc word in order to tag them anyways.

You can't tag them with a random word or name. It has to be a keyword or a name they actually have. Meaning you have to know them better than "random hooded figure".

You would only be able to tag people you know well enough to know one of those things.

You couldn't randomly tag hooded figures.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I really wish you couldn't contact people with their added keywords.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 05, 2013, 05:23:20 PM

I just wish they would change one thing about the Way. Just one thing would fix all of the Way issues I have ever had.

When someone contacts you with the Way, it shouldn't say, "A foreign presence contacts your mind."

It should give you their sdesc.

The tall, muscular man has contacted your mind.

This would fix every issue I have ever had with the way. Every single issue. I'm not sure why it is ok for them to instantly know what you look like when they find your mind, but you have no idea who is hopping in and out of your head repeatedly.

QuoteWhen someone contacts you with the Way, it shouldn't say, "A foreign presence contacts your mind."

It should give you their sdesc.

That is a temptingly good idea, but it would introduce some issues of its own.  Accidentally contact someone because of keyword overlap? Now you have them griping in your head about why you contacted them.  Or Joe Newbie comes along with the same name as Joe Notorious PC and quickly learns all the people that Joe Notorious PC is associating with.

So there is a certain degree of tradeoff, although overall I would have to agree that your version probably wins.  The problems I mentioned can be mostly avoided by players getting into the habit of using multiple keywords when contacting. 

There would be other issues too, but WAY too IC to mention. 

I like the idea of a tag command, though I've not seen much problem with hidden ldescs. I consider it courtesy to have your coded hood down in a group, for example. Just so we can see the ldesc. Because everyone knows that Amos' beetle has white spots, or whatever.

What if you saw their ldesc with "hooded" added at the end if you tagged them? No immersion breaking, trigger-able on names if you'd like, and let's say you remove the robe/cloak/aba and re-wear it to clean the tags? That, or logout.

How about sharing your mind-picture over the Way? Like "hey I'm alive" without a message. Less waiting to see if it is a mis-Way or whatever. And many times, you simply want to make yourself known, not say anything substancial. Or a reverse-contact thing. More skills, not more auto-knowledge!

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 05, 2013, 05:23:20 PM

You can't ">contact figure" if they aren't in the same room anymore.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,32919.0.html
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Showing sdesc when contacted would really bone mind-benders who are trying to be discreet. I would much rather have that you don't get someone's sdesc until you psi them, that way you're both on equal footing.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 05, 2013, 07:57:14 PM
Showing sdesc when contacted would really bone mind-benders who are trying to be discreet. I would much rather have that you don't get someone's sdesc until you psi them, that way you're both on equal footing.

Ummm. All I can say is it wouldn't bone mind-benders.

Find out IC.