I'm gonna be extremely conscious of how people nod for the next few days :-\
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 24, 2012, 11:56:24 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 24, 2012, 11:31:01 PM
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 24, 2012, 11:24:47 PM
Why "kill" or "look" when "keyword" obviously comes before either?

If it was strictly alphabetical, "kill" would come before "kiss."

And "kank" has them both beat.
Warning, spoiler code answer:

It depends on the underlying code.

There's three 'normal' ways a text command list is implemented and all three can create this non-alphabetic-matching outcome:

1. arbitrary order (typically order of implementation or just by whim) in which to get our end result, kiss has occurred prior to any other 'k' match. SOI does this, I imagine DIKU does being C.

2. hash table order. This means the list of commands are stored as effectively random numbers in memory, and these are generated from a string from a mathematical function. When this table is queried, the query is converted and the result is checked against previously stored numbers for a match. An abbreviation search will not work in this form because 'kill' and 'k' would be very different numbers, so 'k' would have to be in the list. What the coder matches 'k' to would be what results. Futuremud C++ did this (I know because I wrote it way back when)

3. gatekept order. It's possible the command path is searching two lists, one after the other, socials and commands. If socials is searched first, 'k' will trigger on 'kiss', but 'kill' will fail the social list but have a hit on the command list. The lists could be using either method 1 or 2 but due to splitting the lookup into 2, either commands or socials could be checked first.

Awesome and yeah, thanks for that.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Case on August 25, 2012, 07:53:14 AM
3. gatekept order. It's possible the command path is searching two lists, one after the other, socials and commands. If socials is searched first, 'k' will trigger on 'kiss', but 'kill' will fail the social list but have a hit on the command list. The lists could be using either method 1 or 2 but due to splitting the lookup into 2, either commands or socials could be checked first.

I'm thinking that this is what Circle does. Don't recall for sure.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Man, people nod way too much IRL.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on August 25, 2012, 04:10:47 PM
Man, people nod way too much IRL.

say (with a quick nod to LordCooper) I agree

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 24, 2012, 09:35:22 PM
The figure in a red, hooded templar's robe says, his one good eye a dull white orb in the flickering torchlight, his voice the rustling slither of a snake in dry reeds, in sirihish,
   "Kiss them all."

snicker
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Given how many people, including myself, do >alias k key immediately with a new character, and given the infrequency of the usage of the kiss social, I think making this a default alias/priority/whatever seems like a no-brainer.

This is somewhat of a derail, but purely out of curiosity, does anybody know if typing "kiss me" gives an echo?
"Karma police, arrest this man."

I've swapped it so that keyword is used instead of kiss.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on September 05, 2012, 03:11:37 PM

man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

:-*
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

>give more.Guinness Morgenes
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

This doesn't go in till the next reboot, right? Glad I tried to key .something that wasn't animate...

WAIT!

So now, because of a few cry babies, I have to type kISS templar now!? It was so much easier when I just did k templar!

OMG!

AHHH!

RAGE QUIT THIS GAME NOW!

I admit to liking this change.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Also makes it even easier to keyword things, which people should do all the time to avoid mis-firing emotes etc.

Quote from: Shepard on September 10, 2012, 01:04:17 AM
WAIT!

So now, because of a few cry babies, I have to type kISS templar now!? It was so much easier when I just did k templar!

OMG!

AHHH!

RAGE QUIT THIS GAME NOW!

>alias k kiss
;)

The short, beardless man ducks.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.