Fight the Lag! - with metrics

Started by Jeshin, November 17, 2011, 09:00:31 AM

Quote from: Jeshin on November 29, 2011, 09:35:47 AM
Fight lag & crashes with metrics.

Fortunately, the game has not crashed.  There was either a reboot or a crash 4 days ago.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

4:30 EST and I'm getting a ton of lag.

Quote from: Celest on November 29, 2011, 04:29:25 PM
4:30 EST and I'm getting a ton of lag.

Same
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

5.30 GMT+8/+16

Right noooowww.
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

I've noticed that stamina and HPS don't regen during lag - but time SEEMS to continue on. Does thirst continue as normal while the lag goes on?

Perhaps people are going to get annoyed, but there are two lags going on, system lag and other lag. The system lag is what stalls everything in game. Game time is based on the machine time so it advances when the system time does, creating hikkups. During these hickups you will not regen stamina stun, but also wont loose it, but time moves normally. The other lag thats going on, well I'm sure you can all see where that is happening already, :)

La

<this space for rent>

_ __ _____ _ ag.

Seriously though, are we seeing any kind of diagnostic pattern here?

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Yasbusta on November 29, 2011, 04:53:30 PM
Perhaps people are going to get annoyed, but there are two lags going on, system lag and other lag. The system lag is what stalls everything in game. Game time is based on the machine time so it advances when the system time does, creating hikkups. During these hickups you will not regen stamina stun, but also wont loose it, but time moves normally. The other lag thats going on, well I'm sure you can all see where that is happening already, :)

During the system lag we were having last week, I checked and game time was running pretty close to normal (~10 minutes per ZT hour), but regeneration seemed really slow.  It's possible that was just lag anxiety affecting my perception, but at one point it took close to a RL hour for my character to regen their hp, and that seems excessively slow.  Hard to really judge a consistent regen rate, though.

I sort of figured, but that still doesn't answer whether thirst depletes, because I don't know if it's tied to the time mechanism (where every time the hour passes, I lose X thirst) or if it's tied to the system which is lagging. I ask because if it's the former, then you could basically get "trapped" in the lag outside and potentially dehydrate yourself to death (or strong impairment) without really being able to do much about it.

If you have a lag that lasts, basically, from Late Morning to High Sun, and then another that lasts between High Sun to Early Afternoon, then you've basically stood in the desert for two hours without drinking. You can see how this could quickly become a problem if thirst is tied to time, instead of the same system as health/stamina/movement, especially because you can get locked out of some areas at dusk.

As it is now I'm almost positive that the system (health/stamina/stun) regeneration is lagged with the rest of things, as is combat, but I still have concerns about thirst.

Yea, whats up with the sudden return of Lagzilla.

Internet Tokyo watch out.

I got it, Ginka's new system has constipated itself after eating to many brainz.

ExLax for your moments of unbearable Lag:

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Celest on November 29, 2011, 05:01:38 PM

I sort of figured, but that still doesn't answer whether thirst depletes, because I don't know if it's tied to the time mechanism (where every time the hour passes, I lose X thirst) or if it's tied to the system which is lagging. I ask because if it's the former, then you could basically get "trapped" in the lag outside and potentially dehydrate yourself to death (or strong impairment) without really being able to do much about it.

If you have a lag that lasts, basically, from Late Morning to High Sun, and then another that lasts between High Sun to Early Afternoon, then you've basically stood in the desert for two hours without drinking. You can see how this could quickly become a problem if thirst is tied to time, instead of the same system as health/stamina/movement, especially because you can get locked out of some areas at dusk.

As it is now I'm almost positive that the system (health/stamina/stun) regeneration is lagged with the rest of things, as is combat, but I still have concerns about thirst.

Fairly certain that thirst is based on both time and character, an issue you have to watch closely.

In his belly OF LAG, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years.

Code-wise, I believe regeneration/degeneration of anything (hp, thirst, etc) is not tied to time, rather it's semi-random but requires the game's code processor to actually be ticking over. So if the game is lagging and missing ticks, yes, it will affect your regen. That should mean that thirst/hunger go more slowly, as will hp/stun/mana regen.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

I'm getting so pissed off at the lag.
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Meh.  Unable to play on a rare day off this month.  Alas.

Has the cause of the lag been determined yet?

Seems like it went away completely over the holiday weekend, and now it's back.

Yeah, very bad atm
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Talia on November 29, 2011, 05:32:30 PM
Code-wise, I believe regeneration/degeneration of anything (hp, thirst, etc) is not tied to time, rather it's semi-random but requires the game's code processor to actually be ticking over. So if the game is lagging and missing ticks, yes, it will affect your regen. That should mean that thirst/hunger go more slowly, as will hp/stun/mana regen.

That's really good to know, thank you :)

Also, it's baaaaaaack! Early Morning was the starting time IG, just like last time.

A change has been made server side, please speak up if you notice any more lag.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Morgenes, please tell me that the main event loop was doing a callback for every dung object.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 30, 2011, 03:41:04 PM
Morgenes, please tell me that the main event loop was doing a callback for every dung object.

No, in this case we don't believe the issue to be due to any changes or issues with Armageddon.  It appears to be (have been hopefully) a server issue with our virtual server.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Seemed like there was a spot of lag just now, ~6:00-6:02 PM EST.

Alright, I went through the log I was keeping and couldn't correlate it, but it was 4 hours ago, so I might have missed it.  I've added a time stamp to the log so hopefully if you can give me a time again when it happens, I'll be able to find it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

bilbo laggins, spotted 10:42 PM est