Awesome Stats?

Started by Intrepid, October 26, 2011, 03:43:43 PM

After getting Exceptional intelligence on a half-elf and seeing the benefits I began trying to prioritize wisdom in the one or two spot. Oh my god.

One time I got extremely good for all stats on a human, but it was a character who could never take advantage of any of it without going against their background, so I never got a chance to see.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I prioritize as I see how the class needs it, If I'm a warrior, I won't prioritize wisdom unless I plan for the guy to become an officer...

Having said that, I've had a few PC's with some awesome stats, including one with 3 EG and one VG, he died fairly quickly if I remember....

I'd much rather see two VG's a A, and a G in my stats, but I've had some awesome fun with PC's with two poors.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

what is wisdom even good for

Quote from: musashi on December 10, 2011, 08:25:07 AM
It's not just in combat. I can't count how many times I have repeatedly failed skill checks of all kinds despite the skills being max'd, while trying to show a newbie "how to do it".

You say to the newbie, in sihirish:
     "Right. Just try to disarm me. I'll show you how to do a reversal."

You lead the newbie's disarm attempt and reverse it!
You try to disarm the newbie, but fumble and drop your own weapon instead!

Quote from: MeTekillot on December 10, 2011, 06:59:16 PM
It's not just in combat. I can't count how many times I have repeatedly failed skill checks of all kinds despite the skills being max'd, while trying to show a newbie "how to do it".

Recovering gracefully, you say to the newbie, in sihirish:
     "That is exactly how stupid you will look when I stop going easy on you."
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Wolfsong on December 10, 2011, 07:24:51 PM
Quote from: MeTekillot on December 10, 2011, 06:59:16 PM

Recovering gracefully, you say to the newbie, in sihirish:
     "That is exactly how stupid you will look when I stop going easy on you."
+1
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I once rolled a noble who had all stats except one as exceptional and the fourth one was extremely good. And about ... 2 minutes after chargen I had a staff tell me something like ,"We are in Awe of your stats."

Needless to say that was one role that did not need ... ANY of those stats, except maybe wisdom for barrier/contact.

Then again I am personally a strong believer of having all stats removed from the game and everyone made an 'average' statted person.

I'm starting to get a little annoyed with my own stats. Seems like everyone has amazing stats but me :|

Then again: I prefer good RP over awesome stats. And that's exactly what I'm getting :)

Quote from: Iiyola on December 22, 2011, 01:47:26 AM
I'm starting to get a little annoyed with my own stats. Seems like everyone has amazing stats but me :|

Then again: I prefer good RP over awesome stats. And that's exactly what I'm getting :)

Wait till you get good RP WITH awesome stats, that makes it even better ;)

Yeah well.... not planning to get my char killed any time soon if I can help it ;)

I had an AI agility on my very first PC, a 16 year old pickpocket / acrobat.

My best statted PC ever was my second PC... a 18 year old assassin. I think it was exceptional wisdom, extremely good agility, very good strength and good endurance.  :o

Overall, I've been pretty lucky with stat rolls for some reason and consistently seem to get above average ones, sometimes WAY better than average.

After I played a delf ranger that I branched parry on in 4-5d, I've subscribed to the wisdom fanclub. Nearly maxing a weapon skill on a warrior at 14-16d is worth it to me. I'd prefer that over high strength, because it increases longevity imo.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

If you think you need wisdom, you'd better get it... well, that's advice for me.

I once had an elf with above average wisdom and my survival at one point partly depended on my ability to learn a new accent. I didn't for a game month, although I spent the entire time listening to it and ended up dying to something else. Came into the game as a new character, and a RL week later, I heard of a crime perpetuated which was, according to its location and time, probably meant for my pc and they got bored and nailed someone else.

I once had a half-elf with exceptional wisdom and sat at a bar, listening to two people speaking in a different language. I was just sitting there, minding my own business because they were babbling nonsense into my ear. Almost a game hour later, the script became "bendune" or what have you that language, instead of "an unknown tongue." My brain exploded.

also, that first one had the bard subguild, which supposedly makes it easier to learn new languages.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

To be fair, learning languages is random as fuck. One of my first PCs, a warrior/mercenary with poor wisdom, learned heshrak the first time a gith auto-yelled at him.

Quote from: Wolfsong on December 27, 2011, 04:37:55 AM
To be fair, learning languages is random as fuck. One of my first PCs, a warrior/mercenary with poor wisdom, learned heshrak the first time a gith auto-yelled at him.

you're kidding me!

nevermind then. wow.

Quote from: Cind on December 27, 2011, 05:26:43 AM

you're kidding me!

nevermind then. wow.

Got it beat, not by statistic, but by coolness.  Elven criminal eavesdropping on two templars in the old days picks up Tatlum. ;)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on December 27, 2011, 06:38:35 AM
Quote from: Cind on December 27, 2011, 05:26:43 AM

you're kidding me!

nevermind then. wow.

Got it beat, not by statistic, but by coolness.  Elven criminal eavesdropping on two templars in the old days picks up Tatlum. ;)

You win. :(

It's kinda weird out that works. I had one pc pick up Allundean, Mirrukim, Bendune, and Tatlum. Most of my others, have never picked up a second or third language.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

I lose.

I once had an elf with AI wisdom and linguist subguild who never picked up another language despite being around for a good while.

Quote from: Spoon on December 28, 2011, 06:27:35 AM
I lose.

I once had an elf with AI wisdom and linguist subguild who never picked up another language despite being around for a good while.
That's very weird.

I lose.

I'm pretty sure they changed the language-learning code at some point, to make it more difficult to learn languages, the more languages you already know...so starting out with three from linguist could make it more difficult to actually learn one in-game.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Learned Tatlum while sitting in the heart. One Faithful said good morning to another or something to that effect. Then the other replied... Bam tatlum!

Quote from: Synthesis on December 28, 2011, 09:43:35 AM
I lose.

I'm pretty sure they changed the language-learning code at some point, to make it more difficult to learn languages, the more languages you already know...so starting out with three from linguist could make it more difficult to actually learn one in-game.

I don't think that's the case... though if it is, that's silly. The more languages you know, the easier it is to grasp the basics of others.

Actually, given the helpfiles, there should be different modifiers for each language.

If a language is related to another, and you know one of the two, should be easier to learn the other.  Should be nearly impossible to learn the mantis language, as it is completely unrelated, etc.

That is how it should be, IMHO, but I am not sure it is.  Having bard seems to help, but nothing else that I have seen so far.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on December 28, 2011, 02:41:26 PM
Actually, given the helpfiles, there should be different modifiers for each language.

If a language is related to another, and you know one of the two, should be easier to learn the other.  Should be nearly impossible to learn the mantis language, as it is completely unrelated, etc.

That is how it should be, IMHO, but I am not sure it is.  Having bard seems to help, but nothing else that I have seen so far.

YES.

If you know bendune and sirihish, cavilish should be a total snap. Or if you know cavilish, bendune should come a bit easier. That always bugged me.