Falling off Silt Skimmers.

Started by KankWhisperer, May 29, 2011, 12:30:50 AM

I don't mind the silt sea being dangerous.
The only thing I do not think actually adds anything to the game is the greatest danger coming from lag or a typo of the pilot.

So I say that the chance to fall off the skimmer while standing just doesn't make much sense to me.
It almost feels like a forgotten and ill designed piece of code kept around more because staff just don't care about the silt sea and adventuring on it.
(I could be wrong on that end because I have never seen how fleshed out the silt sea is mostly because of my hatred of the code)

Ever tried to stand up in a canoe?

Falling off of silt skimmers is dumb.

Being snatched off by a silt horror, on the other hand....
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: maxid on May 29, 2011, 02:42:01 AM
Ever tried to stand up in a canoe?

Read the description of a silt skimmer IG and tell me it's anything at all like a canoe.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 29, 2011, 03:19:10 AM

Come to think of it, some lazy, evil coding genius could just change the echo from "you fall overboard!" to "a tentacle snakes over the railing and drags you overboard!" without changing the underlying code process.

Problem solved.

[johnhodgmanyourewelcome.jpg]

Quote from: Synthesis on May 29, 2011, 04:34:57 AM

Come to think of it, some lazy, evil coding genius could just change the echo from "you fall overboard!" to "a tentacle snakes over the railing and drags you overboard!" without changing the underlying code process.

Problem solved.

So anyone and everyone who stands up on a silt skimmer would get dragged off to their doom by a silt horror?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on May 29, 2011, 04:42:10 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on May 29, 2011, 04:34:57 AM

Problem solved.

So anyone and everyone who stands up on a silt skimmer would get dragged off to their doom by a silt horror?

Makes about as much sense, with considerable aesthetic improvement.

I agree that if the skimmer is one of those gigantic ones then there shouldn't be much of a chance that you'll fall overboard.

But there are also some tiny skimmers that are very much like a canoe, and those should still be dangerous to stand up in, imho.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

At the helm of a dusty, long-sailed silt skimmer, pointing to the horizon,
the swarthy, golden-braided man says, in sirihish:
  "Sail 'er off the edge of the Known, lads and lasses!  FULL SPEED AHEAD!"

A dusty, long-sailed silt skimmer flies south.
The swarthy, golden-braided man flies north, disappearing into the silt.

Blinking rapidly, and looking aside at the male wearing a dusty sandcloth facewrap,
the scarred, olive-skinned woman woman says, in sirihish:
  "Where the fuck tha Captain go?"

The awkward thing is that I believe combat makes you automatically stand if you are sitting or resting.  The code also doesn't allow you to sit in the middle of a fight.  So you type 'pilot n' because something attacked you and you may fall off because the code made you stand.

I'll give kudos the coder however in giving you safeguard against accidentally walking off into the deep silt because your mind slipped and you walked south instead of pilot south.

Quote from: roughneck on May 29, 2011, 09:40:07 AM
I'll give kudos the coder however in giving you safeguard against accidentally walking off into the deep silt because your mind slipped and you walked south instead of pilot south.

This has been added in as a feature?
I hope so. I remember a character dying about a year or so ago from standing up and walking north in a deep silt room because the player was half asleep at the keys and thought we were already back to shore and was in a hurry to go quit out.

Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2011, 09:44:12 AM

Yeah :/ It has been.. Which I actually don't like. Finding bodies along the shield wall was a great way to supplement income.
Czar of City Elves.

The awkward thing is that I believe combat makes you automatically stand if you are sitting or resting.  The code also doesn't allow you to sit in the middle of a fight.  So you type 'pilot n' because something attacked you and you may fall off because the code made you stand.

That's what you call a "feature."

The first skimmer-crafter who invents the seat belt is going to be rich.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on May 29, 2011, 01:11:17 PM
The first skimmer-crafter who invents the seat belt is going to be rich.

Til it breaks.

A seat belt you wear while standing up?  ???

Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2011, 01:30:25 PM
A seat belt you wear while standing up?  ???
Yeah man, haven't you ever ridden in a helo?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

We call that a tether  ;)

Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2011, 01:37:04 PM
We call that a tether  ;)
That's not what aircrew calls it!
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Yeah well they don't call them seat belts either!  :P

First off, if you are standing in a skimmer, you don't type pilot (direction) because, what the drov are you doing trying to pilot standing. You will chance falling out.

Second, I know its must be impossible to do, but rope and knots come to mind to tie off, (tether) oneself to the skimmer, at least in some cases, they have sails so there must be a mast. And at least enough rope that one could pull themselves back into the skimmer. However maybe skiimmer would be capsized by someone climbing in, but then it would from a silt beast crawling over the side.

Moreover, the safe guard that is in place from falling in is only with the "stand" command. This will echo the possible danger of your choice. Though this stand command is supposed to work at the docks. I believe it does not, currently. (And I believe a bug for it has been requested.)

It is at this time, simply an area of the game you don't play when you tired, and take extra time in the things you do to avoid the simple (and easily made) mishaps.

Pondering possibilities:
since silt is so odd, would be cool if you rested that you floated, but could not move so are prone to silt beasts, but in this way you could be subdued and drug back on deck of the skimmer with a little addition to -throw person skimmer- or something.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Potaje, I think the argument is, that if you're sailing on a boat on the ocean, you don't just fly off the boat when it moves in a direction.  Your position on the boat is grounded by gravity.

But the Silt Sea is very windy, yada yada.

say (looking at ~skimmer) So...you managed to think of a way to travel on the great silt sea, over came all the problems...but a guard rail never entered your mind?

The dusty dwarf tells you in sirihish, "Hey, You just said you wanted a way to travel on silt...you made no mention of a need to survive."

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on May 29, 2011, 05:12:46 PM
say (looking at ~skimmer) So...you managed to think of a way to travel on the great silt sea, over came all the problems...but a guard rail never entered your mind?

The dusty dwarf tells you in sirihish, "Hey, You just said you wanted a way to travel on silt...you made no mention of a need to survive."

Sig'd if I can fit it.

Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2011, 09:44:12 AM

I hope so. I remember a character dying about a year or so ago from standing up and walking north in a deep silt room because the player was half asleep at the keys and thought we were already back to shore and was in a hurry to go quit out.

And drunk, don't forget drunk.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~