Falling off Silt Skimmers.

Started by KankWhisperer, May 29, 2011, 12:30:50 AM

Quote from: EldritchOrigins on June 07, 2011, 11:30:06 PM
If the game crashes while a skimmer is out in deep silt, do the occupants die when they re-enter the game?

If the game crashes while you're sitting at the bar, are you still sitting at it when you login?

I doubt you'll fall right in, but if your skimmer isn't in the last room you saved in you're going to be in a pickle.

Quote from: Blur on June 07, 2011, 11:10:56 PM
Exploration: Because your character's stats sucked anyways.
Best line I've seen in a while.

I wouldn't try to kill a silt horror unless I was a dwarf with the Focus. because, realistically, a lot of dwarves have died for their focus. they're also careful, I know, but eventually they're going to try.
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on June 09, 2011, 03:50:18 PM
I wouldn't try to kill a silt horror unless I was a dwarf with the Focus. because, realistically, a lot of dwarves have died for their focus. they're also careful, I know, but eventually they're going to try.

But haven't you heard? A silt-horror shell is worth SEVENTY-FIVE COINS!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

When you kill it, just don't let it sink into the silt.

Quote from: EldritchOrigins on June 09, 2011, 04:01:49 PM

When you kill it, just don't let it sink into the silt.

You have to dive in after it and tie a rope to it to haul it to shore.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Sephiroto on June 07, 2011, 11:41:24 PM
Quote from: EldritchOrigins on June 07, 2011, 11:30:06 PM
If the game crashes while a skimmer is out in deep silt, do the occupants die when they re-enter the game?

If the game crashes while you're sitting at the bar, are you still sitting at it when you login?

I doubt you'll fall right in, but if your skimmer isn't in the last room you saved in you're going to be in a pickle.

You can just ask for a ress from the staff for crashes. They even have ress requests in the request tool (last I checked).
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

June 09, 2011, 04:51:05 PM #57 Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:01:05 PM by EldritchOrigins
I'm just trying to point out that the whole silt skimmer idea is a great concept.  But as implemented now, it is more of a novelty than a workable means of play.

[edited to make more sense]

Interesting discussion.  Ropes sound like the answer to me.  Equip a rope (on waist say, or one hand) and then 'lash' or 'tether' yourself to the skimmer.   It should still break if the silt horror pulls you into the depths, but otherwise reduce the chance of falling overboard.  And if you do fall, then have the chance to climb back or be hauled in, as long as you do so beore suffocating.  There might be a combat trade-off, like reduced dodging, but otherwise make it safer for those who were prepared and willing to take the trade-off.
Woot!  They covered me in wood and set me on fire!  They DO love me!

I think the simplest solution to this problem is someone stating definitively whether you can sit down while fighting.

If you can't, you should be able to.  You need to be able to sit down and escape a fight in a silt skimmer.  It's just that simple.

If you can, we really don't have anything to complain about.  Most of the above complaints can be addressed with a competent crew.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on September 01, 2011, 12:35:10 AM
I think the simplest solution to this problem is someone stating definitively whether you can sit down while fighting.

If you can't, you should be able to.  You need to be able to sit down and escape a fight in a silt skimmer.  It's just that simple.

If you can, we really don't have anything to complain about.  Most of the above complaints can be addressed with a competent crew.

You can sit down while fighting, yes.

But if you choose to do so, you take severe penalties in combat.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 01, 2011, 03:41:00 AM

Most of the above complaints can be addressed with a competent crew.

Honestly, I find the problem here to be the need to solve every situation with 100% certainty.  There are some solutions that can only be worked out by the people in-game. 

"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on September 01, 2011, 01:20:46 PM

Honestly, I find the problem here to be the need to solve every situation with 100% certainty.  There are some solutions that can only be worked out by the people in-game. 

If by "competent crew" you mean, "Skimmer full of maxxed out 50-day combat classes that could each probably solo a mek"*, then yeah.

Fighting off that ferocious random silt-horror/silt-skimmer duo of terror while taking the sitting combat penalties is no big deal, and likely won't turn into a complete and total waste of time.

But the odds of getting just half a crew so competent is damn near impossible as it is.

*Healthy dose of hyperbole included.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 01, 2011, 05:10:54 PM
Quote from: Dalmeth on September 01, 2011, 01:20:46 PM

If by "competent crew" you mean, "Skimmer full of maxxed out 50-day combat classes that could each probably solo a mek"*, then yeah.

Fighting off that ferocious random silt-horror/silt-skimmer duo of terror while taking the sitting combat penalties is no big deal, and likely won't turn into a complete and total waste of time.

But the odds of getting just half a crew so competent is damn near impossible as it is.

*Healthy dose of hyperbole included.

You only need a competent pilot, and smart enough not to walk off the skimmer, I wouldn't sit fighting anyways, makes no sense and fighting while standing in a skimmer is not the issue. Sit you butts down after, seems more sensible.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Potaje on September 01, 2011, 05:16:30 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on September 01, 2011, 05:10:54 PM
If by "competent crew" you mean, "Skimmer full of maxxed out 50-day combat classes that could each probably solo a mek"*, then yeah. ...

You only need a competent pilot, and smart enough not to walk off the skimmer, I wouldn't sit fighting anyways, makes no sense and fighting while standing in a skimmer is not the issue.

If you're going to put all your money on "pilot" and "flee," you don't need a crew.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: EldritchOrigins on June 09, 2011, 04:51:05 PM
I'm just trying to point out that the whole silt skimmer idea is a great concept.  But as implemented now, it is more of a novelty than a workable means of play.

It's my impression that silt-skimmers and roleplay around those aren't intended to be more than a novelty. I don't believe that there ever was an idea that the Silt Sea, or skimming, or the skimming life would ever become a major role that lots of people would be involved in, or that this would be a significant hub of activity or trade or play. It's there to give you something different to experience, to spice up your play a little, to add to the tapestry of the world, but AFAIK that's as far as it has gone, or will go.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on September 01, 2011, 05:22:37 PM

It's my impression that silt-skimmers and roleplay around those aren't intended to be more than a novelty. I don't believe that there ever was an idea that the Silt Sea, or skimming, or the skimming life would ever become a major role that lots of people would be involved in, or that this would be a significant hub of activity or trade or play. It's there to give you something different to experience, to spice up your play a little, to add to the tapestry of the world, but AFAIK that's as far as it has gone, or will go.

QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

All that said, I'd rather have it as an awesome novelty (it is), than not have it at all.

:D

Back on topic?
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Potaje on September 01, 2011, 05:16:30 PM
You only need a competent pilot, and smart enough not to walk off the skimmer, I wouldn't sit fighting anyways, makes no sense and fighting while standing in a skimmer is not the issue. Sit you butts down after, seems more sensible.

Mainly, you need a decision whether you're going to stand and fight anything that comes along or run away.

Then comes a pilot who will always call out before he begins moving and will check to make sure everyone is sitting before he moves.

Lastly, you need spare crew that will listen to the pilot, even in pitched combat.

And yeah, the only way you're going to guarantee against death is with seasoned warriors.  Is anyone surprised?  Not I.

Look at the bright side, it gives you a good reason to wear heavy armor.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

"It's my impression that silt-skimmers and roleplay around those aren't intended to be more than a novelty. I don't believe that there ever was an idea that the Silt Sea, or skimming, or the skimming life would ever become a major role that lots of people would be involved in, or that this would be a significant hub of activity or trade or play. It's there to give you something different to experience, to spice up your play a little, to add to the tapestry of the world, but AFAIK that's as far as it has gone, or will go."

Why wouldn't it be a major role?  Aren't silt skimmer crews the big producers of spice?  I know Kurac doesn't get all their goods from the little silt deposits along the edge of the Sea.  I'd almost expect most of Kurac to be spending time on skimmers.  It'd be as involving as most Desert Elf tribal play... With the crews and ships having their own social structures built through time at Sea and respect/lack there of.

Seems rather ideal a role for folks like myself who aren't particularly fond of the tavern sitting city scene.  But if it's unrealistically dangerous so that you can't even properly pilot unless you spend five minutes checking your every command/position/everyone else's position as well as watching nearby areas for flying terrors or the random ones that pop up on you (that's another thing, are they actually invisible like anakore and just pop out of the ground with no warning?  Or are they like Dujat, and you can see them coming?  Or do they echo like.. boiling silt around your skimmer .. some sort of warning before they engage the crew, giving the captain/crew a chance to prepare to haul balls?), all while trying to remember the directions you've taken while navigating the big bad Sea.. Of course there's not going to be anyone willing to try and expand in that area of play.

So of course there's not going to be any interest in making it more playable.  So of course making it playable isn't ever going to crop up on anyone's 'To Do' list.  It's a vicious cycle.

Quote from: Feco on September 01, 2011, 07:27:50 PM

Agreed.
I, like I think a lot of others as well, wanted to see this be a fully flushed out part of the game that could open up some major roles within it. It is disappointing to hear that the vision of the staff in this regard was so detached from that of the players.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

One persons impression does not equal the entirety of staffs vision on the subject.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 02, 2011, 08:33:53 AM
One persons impression does not equal the entirety of staffs vision on the subject.

True enough. But one can only go off what information they have at hand.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

I think that the Sea of Silt is meant to be like any other far flung largely uninhabited area of the game. Dangerous, legendary, generally unexplored by any but the epic.

Pick any direction outside of a settlement; north, south, east, or west ... and just start walking ... and you will eventually find yourself in one such dangerous local.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.