Sociopath

Started by Faustin, October 08, 2010, 08:21:08 PM

I was thinking perhaps for my next character that I will make him/her have some sociopathic qualities so, I was wonder if people can help me come up with traits my character might have? I know the general details like, no remorse, guilty etc. or pathological lying,  and authoritarian but I would like if some players help me conjure up ideas and attitudes towards actions of other players etc. for my character, would be much obliged.

I had a character along the same lines as you are thinking.

I researched the personalities in question for about 3 or 4 weeks before applying.

This is a very difficult role to play - I'd seriously spend some time exploring the real implications of making this kind of PC...  I tried making one recently and stored it, because I started to get depressed IRL trying to get into the mindset of the character.

Quote from: wizturbo on October 08, 2010, 09:11:56 PM
This is a very difficult role to play - I'd seriously spend some time exploring the real implications of making this kind of PC...  I tried making one recently and stored it, because I started to get depressed IRL trying to get into the mindset of the character.

I would agree whole-heartedly with this...

your probably right, I will probably still make him but not as my next character, I will wait for a much later time like a couple months, I was just  kind of making a brainstorming thing, it still seems pretty interesting role to play though, if I do play it I going to get a book about the illness so I can play him realistic, I view this role as  and could be very "fun" to play as, but I could be wrong.

In another MUD a few months back, I had to create and run a PC-driven cult from the ground up. I researched IRL cults, particularly the cult of Ayn Rand, and modeled it off that. It seemed to work well, so maybe try doing a lot of background research on IRL sociopaths.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I think that based on the IC and game culture, a true sociopath would be difficult to play if they weren't already powerful codedly and/or ICly. That is, a sociopath being a blatant sociopath. Just speaking personally, I would likely find it difficult and ultimately unenjoyable, but if people have the will and the skill to pull off such things, I'm all for it.

But mostly I posted to compliment Faustin's avatar. Up the irons!
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I played a rapist a while back. It was pretty awesome, excepting the raping part. For the most part he sucked--shitty stats, shitty skills. But he talked such an awesome game that people were frightened of him from the get-go.

It worked until someone hired a maxed ranger to assassinate him.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I always thought the best sociopaths were those that new how to charm and impress, create a likable trait or quality that would luir their victims in, while creating a "could never be them" aura around them.

Really plan out the murders or what have you, be artistic in the development and approach perhaps setting up some kind of mapping that through repeated acts would offer clues to those investigating.

Also could be cool to allow one person, some one others might not believe, or would not say anything from shear disbelief or fear, have a taste or glimpse of the monster you truly are.

Such as the mute beggar child.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I played a really evil character once, who butchered people, dismembered them and ate their bodies. He seemed very normal, pleasant even and had lots of close friends, even a lover. He was never discovered for his true monstrous self, and ended up dying a very undramatic, silly and pointless death in a place where his corpse wasn't even found.
Still one of my favourite characters though. On the same hand, still feel a little guilty thinking about all those poor PC's my PC lured to their deaths. They were tasty though......  ;D
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Playing a sociopath is very easy in Armageddon.

RPing a sociopath that is eventually found out as a sociopath is different.
If you watch Dexter, he has a different mask for each occasion. Most of the time, those 'masks' -show most- of the emotions. Some of the time, he has the wrong mask. To play a sociopath you would have to try and be a normal person (if you cared to be), but to be a sociopath, you would obviously have to fail at being able to emote different emotions that you wouldn't see very often.

If I would play a sociopath, I would pick a handful of emotions and switch them. Is something very awful going on? You may show you are being nonchalant. Is something happening that your PC has waited a long time for? Make sure a PC around you knows that if they emss it up, they will regret it. (Even if that PC has no way of changing the events.)

If you have ever acted, you know that crying/being heartbroken takes a lot of work. To look the part needs a lot of practice. A sociopath wouldn't be practicing, so they may take breaks during the display of emotion. They might look nonchalant, or they may pick another emotion to show.

Emote, emote, emote.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

Yeah, mani and wiz have it right. Especially if you're a character actor. ...Is that the right one? I forget. After skimming the wiki article, I don't think it is, but I'll look when I get home. (Or ask my someone who knows better :<) Anyway: If you get into your character like a lot of us do and see them as a different entity you're channeling, I'm not sure if playing a sociopath is the best bet. It could be really, very rewarding, but be sure it doesn't take a toll on you IRL. :]
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

October 09, 2010, 08:10:18 AM #12 Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:12:01 AM by hyzhenhok
Honestly, I don't think it's as difficult as some of you are making it out to be. Here's the diagnosis list for antisocial personality disorder from the DSM IV:\

- failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
- deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
- impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
- irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
- reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
- consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
- lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another;
- promiscuity;
- having shallow or seemingly nonexistent feelings.

A lot of these things are commonplace in Zalanthas. It should be very easy for a sociopath to blend in. I'm not even sure it would be considered abnormal; certainly wouldn't be considered a mental illness.

I don't see anywhere in the DMS where all sociopaths have to pretend to have emotions. Simply choose a few emotions like sadness, love, etc that your sociopath never has and just never have them. Ever. Frankly, in Zalanthas you really wouldn't really have to pretend to have them in order to blend in with society. That's an aspect or IRL antisocials that doesn't translate; the whole point of antisocials is that they behave against the grain of society; you transplant an RL antisocial to Zalanthas and suddenly he's not really going against the grain. Especially if he's an elf. ;)

Sociopath doesn't have to butcher or eat people, or rape. Plenty of people irl are sociopaths and they don't do anything of the sort. Anyway, most of the PCs in our game would qualify for the diagnosis if they were examined by a psychiatrist from earth. Harsh world brings out the worst in people or maybe only characters who, to some extent, lack compassion and consideration for others rise from the sea of VNPCS to become PCs.

Anyway, the easiest way to play a sociopath is to be an elf.

My take? Play a normal citizen.. To be alive in most of the places in Zalanthas, one must be a true sociopath..

I received a lot of kudos for my sociopaths, so I believe I can offer a couple advices.

- A scar across the eye? Gleaming gaze? The shadowy person who barely talks? One that tells everyone how he can waste them like a third-grade rapper?
... Of course there's a possibility of playing them right. But I've not seen it. Cliches are boring. My most successful sociopath was Simon, a chubby 'rinthi human. I remember the approving imm's message, mentioning maybe Simon should have been a merchant because he totally looked like one. Noone suspected Simon of even being capable of fighting despite his clear 'rinthi accent. He always looked like a smiling, cheerful peddler. But he was an obnoxious drunkard and just to get a bit more booze, he would easily cut down his best friend.

- A loose tongue? No no no.. If you feel forced to talk big to intimidate, you're doing it wrong because it's not a sociopath's business to intimidate. Someone that has seen you in the act would already be scared shitless. Seeing that mellow friend suddenly extracting livers without the tiniest bit of emotion in his face is scary enough. But it must be normal for your character. Nothing extraordinary to talk about. And talking asks for more work if the talk goes to law enforcement and you don't like extra work, do you?

Say, when a normal person is hungry, he goes to the kitchen, prepares him a meal and eats. When a sociopath needs money, he cuts up the next person because that next person has money and he needs some. There's nothing wrong with that for the sociopath, just like there's nothing wrong with preparing a meal. So, why talk about it?

- Strangely, a sociopath doesn't need to be 'crazy'. You don't need strange quirks, gruesome habits or nervous breakdowns. You simply cannot really bring yourself to recognizing other people's rights. The crazy route often draws attention.

Just read the wikipedia entry then plan a character for longer fun, one who will still show symptoms but a bit less visibly.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Sociopath doesn't even have to hurt people, let alone kill people.  Plenty of sociopaths in real life lead fairly normal lives, just lives tainted by their somewhat flattened sense of emotions and disregard for society's norms.

Okay, continuing, first, the disorder is properly called Antisocial Personality Disorder.  You might want to take a good read through that wiki and go looking at its sources to find some good information.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

Quote from: Marshmellow on October 09, 2010, 09:40:00 AM
Sociopath doesn't even have to hurt people, let alone kill people.  Plenty of sociopaths in real life lead fairly normal lives, just lives tainted by their somewhat flattened sense of emotions and disregard for society's norms.

Okay, continuing, first, the disorder is properly called Antisocial Personality Disorder.  You might want to take a good read through that wiki and go looking at its sources to find some good information.

Yeah.  This is good advice.

Okay, so you want to play a sociopath?  I think the main thing to remember is that your character doesn't have what most of us would recognize as emotions.  It's the lack of empathy that might be difficult for you to role play.  Your face is a mask.  You're smiling if others smile.  You're weeping if others cry.  But internally you feel nothing, or rather you feel only greed, anxiety, lust and pride.

The other misunderstanding that might be easy for you to miss is that sociopaths never forgive anything.  Even the slightest offense or slight against them must be punished, even if it takes years.  Sociopaths are always keeping score.  Everything is about them. 

So yeah, it's cool to play a misanthropic sociopath if you want.  These are cool.  But maybe consider playing a kind-hearted sociopath of one variety or another.  Maybe someone who means well, but is really really creepy. 

Be manipulative.  Take yourself way too seriously.  Don't let anyone get the better of you.

And you feel nothing.  Not a thing. 
He said, "I don't fly coach, never save the roach."

Quote from: boog on October 09, 2010, 07:56:55 AM

Yeah, mani and wiz have it right. Especially if you're a character actor. ...Is that the right one? I forget. After skimming the wiki article, I don't think it is, but I'll look when I get home. (Or ask my someone who knows better :<) Anyway: If you get into your character like a lot of us do and see them as a different entity you're channeling, I'm not sure if playing a sociopath is the best bet. It could be really, very rewarding, but be sure it doesn't take a toll on you IRL. :]

Method actor.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: hyzhenhok on October 09, 2010, 08:10:18 AM
Honestly, I don't think it's as difficult as some of you are making it out to be. Here's the diagnosis list for antisocial personality disorder from the DSM IV:\

- failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
- deceitfulness, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
- impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
- irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
- reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
- consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
- lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another;
- promiscuity;
- having shallow or seemingly nonexistent feelings.

Oh my goodness! There are some in game already!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

If you want to flesh out your concept beyond simply "sociopath," take a look at the Millon subtypes and pick one:

Quote from: Wikipediacovetous antisocial - variant of the pure pattern where individuals feel that life has not given them their due.
reputation-defending antisocial - including narcissistic features
risk-taking antisocial - including histrionic features
nomadic antisocial - including schizoid, avoidant features
malevolent antisocial - including sadistic, paranoid features.

It is easy to be a sociopath IG. Noone shows emotions all the time.

It is just hard showing that you are not having emotions, or subtly piggy backing on other's emotions.
You lift ~ with all your strength.
A long length of bone doesn't move.

On Zalanthas, persons who show compassion, empathy and put the needs of society above their own are the antisocial monsters.

Preserver scum.   ::)

wow thanks these really are some great ideas, I'm still sticking with that  maybe after a little while I will start making a sociopath, I was think more of a power-tripping, two-faced, paranoid and manipulative and of course, narcissistic. These traits that everyone gave me really help a lot, no I'm pretty sure I can handle be a sociopath as long as I don't rush into playing this role straight away, I will like probably get depressed IRL like Wiz did but, I really find that playing this role I will never get bored even if I'm around anyone.

Quote from: Barzalene on October 09, 2010, 10:14:08 AM
Quote from: boog on October 09, 2010, 07:56:55 AM

Method actor.

Thanks, boo.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Ha, according to the signs and symptoms of ASPD on Wikipedia, everyone in Allanak has ASPD:

1. Persistent lying or stealing -- That covers all the elves right there (40% of the population).

2. Apparent lack of remorse or empathy for others -- There's  giant pile of corpses in the largest public square, and feeding people to beasts in the Arena is the city's favorite pastime.

3. Cruelty to animals -- That covers all your rangers and warriors...and assassins who backstab rats.

4. Promiscuity -- That covers all your mudsexers.

5.  Inability to tolerate boredom -- Hence the average sub-5-day lifespan.

6.  Disregard for right and wrong -- Right's only a direction.

7.  Irresponsible work behavior -- How many PCs just can't follow their clan schedule?

8. Disregard for safety -- See #7, above.  This also covers all your 'indie' PCs.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.