Merchant Question

Started by DustMight, September 05, 2010, 09:24:48 PM

I haven't played a merchant in a good long time and wanted to know if I were to play a merchant with specific crafting skills (say, weaponsmithing or instrument making) do I need to pick the approprate crafting subguild or can a merchant eventually craft anything?

Thanks!

Quote from: DustMight on September 05, 2010, 09:24:48 PM
I haven't played a merchant in a good long time and wanted to know if I were to play a merchant with specific crafting skills (say, weaponsmithing or instrument making) do I need to pick the approprate crafting subguild or can a merchant eventually craft anything?

Thanks!

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?guild_merchant
Guild Merchant    (Character)
Merchants are the blood which binds the world together, the carriers of desperately needed goods from one land to another. Usually descendants of the old Dune Traders, merchants quickly learn the ways of the desert, the most profitable trade routes, and possess a handy charm for making friends of even the most bitter templar.

Merchants possess the ability to ride animals and pilot the argosies that cross the lands between villages and cities. They are also skilled at assessing an object's value, getting excellent prices from all but the stingiest traders, and noticing every detail around them. Furthermore, they have great talent in many forms of crafting, from simple cups to intricate forms of weaponry.

While faced with a hard life, merchants are often the richest people in any given city-state. The most sure way to find work as a merchant is to travel widely, joining caravans at every opportunity. Whenever he/she can, a merchant ought to find a village's or a city's traders and learn the prices of things there. By compiling this knowledge (knowing true item costs can be invaluable in doing this), the merchant can devise superior trade routes and make a great deal of money.

Bolded for emphasis.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Thanks Mansa.  Apparently I missed the entire second paragraph there.  :D

It's sometimes a bit obscure what paths are involved in branching skills.  If you really want your character to be defined by a certain craft skill that might be harder to branch, it's not necessarily a bad idea to pick the subguild, especially if you don't plan on it being a long-lived or permanent character.

Quote from: Erythil on September 05, 2010, 09:48:08 PM
It's sometimes a bit obscure what paths are involved in branching skills.  If you really want your character to be defined by a certain craft skill that might be harder to branch, it's not necessarily a bad idea to pick the subguild, especially if you don't plan on it being a long-lived or permanent character.

This is very good advice.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

September 05, 2010, 10:03:02 PM #5 Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:08:49 PM by Erythil
Everything must be vague.

Erythil, please do not reveal subtleties of the code like what may branch from what.  That's obscure, but not too obscure.
"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
- Jimmy James, the man so great they had to name him twice

If you want every crafting skill that a merchant can conceivably get, you have to go subclass physician.

Your chances of branching armor-making if you don't start with it are about 1-in-a-million, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 05, 2010, 10:09:55 PM
If you want every crafting skill that a merchant can conceivably get, you have to go subclass physician.

Your chances of branching armor-making if you don't start with it are about 1-in-a-million, though.

Not True.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on September 05, 2010, 10:40:11 PM

Not True.

Very much not true.
the heavy-browed, big-elbowed dwarf says in sirihish, glancing back at his ruined argosy, then back at you
"Ahm na' happy"

you say in sirihish, puzzledly
"then which one are you?"

It is not a secret, though, that if your subguild starts with a skill that your main guild eventually branches, you basically start out with a free branch in that skill.

Some merchanting skills take a very long time to branch, are difficult to train, or are really deep in the merchant skill tree. As others have mentioned above, if you want to be a crafter of Item Type X, taking the appropriate subguild is wise.

Yar, the latter is not true and the former, I wish I'd known. But I nubbed it up the first time. Oh welp.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Sorry, but Synthesis is right about physician, but we can't say why, obviously.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Thanks for all the advice. Not sure why anyone would want to get "every imaginable" crafting skill however.

Also not sure how one would actually know this without playing a maxxed merchant with every single subguild combo because a cool feature (if it existed, I haven't a clue) would be to have certain recipes available only on selection of certain subguilds.  It seems to me if you haven't done exactly that, then you either don't know or have gotten your information from some other OOC source.

But again, thanks for the advice.
:)