Well...

Started by Toofie, July 31, 2010, 10:47:33 PM

Looks like it's time for me to take a bit of a break from the game..

It's been fun, and shit, but I guess I just need a break!

Hopefully I'll be fully recovered and return soon, maybe not..

Anyway, much love my peeps.

Later,
Toofie
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

Hmm, must be Saturday.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Ha ha, hilarious. But no, really, not angry, well, not anymore angry than usual. Just want to take a break.

So, again, have fun,

Later,
Toofie

I don't know your situation, Toofie, but this is my advice based on experience...

If you get pisssed off about something in game, or something that happens regarding the game, don't log in for a few days.  Let it all settle in if you feel like you can't behave IC'ly, and it will come back to you and you'll enjoy it again.  I've had to do this a couple of times and it's not a -bad- thing.  It's just gaining perspective and trying to remember that there's a human being on the other side of that screen and they either made mistakes or have a completely different perspective than you.  It's not about cruelty.

I don't know you, but I hope you come back with a fresh perspective and a new outlook on what can happen for you on the game.
"It's got a wonderful defense mechanism. You don't dare kill it."

RKB, it's all good.  Toofie is kind of like the Eric Cartman of Armageddon.

He does this all the time.

Five 'sids'll get you ten that he's in game right now.
-Reiloth

Eric Cartman? Seriously? And you'd lose those 'sids..

Uh huh.  Sure I would.
-Reiloth

Side note/derail for anyone feeling the need to take a break from the game (not that the OP has done this, this is an open notification):

Do not send in a request asking us to ban or delete your account for you.  We won't honor this request, and even if we did, you could just undo it with another request (and hence, we wouldn't do it in the first place--anyone wanting to do this would likely repeat the process every time they wanted to return to the game or leave it, creating an annoying burden on staff).  In the case of a deleted account, you could just make another.  Voluntarily banning your own account is like locking up your cigarettes and booze when you decide to quit smoking and drinking...and keeping the key around your neck.  If you believe you are addicted to the game or can't resist the temptation to play when you should be doing other things (working, school, studying, etc.) then that is something larger than this game.  Your self-control is in your own hands; if you have stuff that is getting impacted, you need to take the steps to handle that elsewhere.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

But this is crackageddon its soo addicting! ::)
the heavy-browed, big-elbowed dwarf says in sirihish, glancing back at his ruined argosy, then back at you
"Ahm na' happy"

you say in sirihish, puzzledly
"then which one are you?"

Quote from: Nyr on August 09, 2010, 12:07:29 PM
Side note/derail for anyone feeling the need to take a break from the game (not that the OP has done this, this is an open notification):

Do not send in a request asking us to ban or delete your account for you.  We won't honor this request, and even if we did, you could just undo it with another request (and hence, we wouldn't do it in the first place--anyone wanting to do this would likely repeat the process every time they wanted to return to the game or leave it, creating an annoying burden on staff).  In the case of a deleted account, you could just make another.  Voluntarily banning your own account is like locking up your cigarettes and booze when you decide to quit smoking and drinking...and keeping the key around your neck.  If you believe you are addicted to the game or can't resist the temptation to play when you should be doing other things (working, school, studying, etc.) then that is something larger than this game.  Your self-control is in your own hands; if you have stuff that is getting impacted, you need to take the steps to handle that elsewhere.

I suggest to scramble your password.  :P
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I suggest getting drunk and hiding your computer.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on August 09, 2010, 07:36:23 PM
I suggest getting drunk and hiding your computer.

Best advice in this thread.  Just make sure you don't actually lose the computer, because, ya know, some of the best hiding places I've found have been when I'm drunk.
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal and Pancakes.

I used to threaten the staff that I'd quit at least twice or three times a year.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Mathew 5:30
"And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

cut your hands off, can't play with no hands

Quote from: Armaddict on August 09, 2010, 11:32:06 PM
I used to threaten the staff that I'd quit at least twice or three times a year.

The opposite is true for me, I get extremely quiet when I'm about to quit.

As for getting drunk and hiding the computer... asking family for help might work too. They can hide or hold it for you.

When I threaten to quit the staff shrugs.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on August 10, 2010, 07:35:11 AM

When I threaten to quit the staff shrugs.

I just quietly vanish for a few years and then spontaneously come back.  No goodbyes, no rants, no raves...  Just *poof*.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Quietly vanishing is the way to do it. The GDB is harder to quit than the game...

Psh.... Quitters.

:p

Your cell phone starts to ring and you look over to see who's calling. It's your best friend. He probably wants to hang out. After all, it is Friday night. You think about picking up the phone, but you don't. Instead, you tell yourself, "I'll call him as soon as I finish this Armageddon session." You promise yourself that you'll call him because, even though you go to the same school and have most of the same classes, you haven't really hung out in a while. You've just been too busy. So you promise yourself, "as soon as I finish..."

People who are addicted to Armageddon encounter situations like this all the time; situations in which they have to choose whether to interact with the real world or continue living in Allanak. Sadly, the real world rarely wins. Even more sad, they often decide to live in Tuluk.

Social consequences are a very real part of Armageddon addiction. Addicted Armageddon players spend so much time playing that their personal relationships get neglected and sometimes disappear altogether. Among addicted Armageddon players who are married, up to 50 percent report a strain in their marriage as a result of their addiction.

A quick search on the GDB for information about Armageddon addiction yields multiple stories about detrimental, and potentially harmful, social decisions people have made because Armageddon takes priority above all else. One such story was about a man who installed zmud onto his laptop so he could play at work, even though he knew that getting caught would mean getting fired. Yet another told of a wife whose husband had begun playing "all the time" because he said it took his mind off his problems.

It's not just neglect that costs Armageddon players their relationships. Some of them talk so much about their role-playing session – to the exclusion of everything else – that people no longer want to be around them. They can't, or won't, engage in real world conversations or be a source of support or encouragement to friends and family. Because their friends talk about other things, they begin to feel left out, which in turn causes them to feel irritated or offended. It doesn't occur to them that they've chosen to be left out by devoting all their time to Armageddon. Also, many of them never shower.

Some of the physical consequences of Armageddon addiction can lead to social consequences as well. For instance, an addicted Armageddon player who loses sleep because he's playing so much simply doesn't have the energy to invest in relationships. Lack of sleep may also make him irritable and difficult to be around.

The lack of social interaction that results from obsessive Armageddon addiction can have long-term social consequences. An addicted teenage boy won't develop effective social skills, which will hinder his ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships in college and beyond. Suddenly, he's 21 but has the social skills of a 12-year-old teenage girl. He doesn't know how to make friends, talk to girls, or just "hang out" and enjoy people's company. The social awkwardness created by the isolationism of Armageddon addiction, unfortunately, feeds the addiction. The Armageddon addict will likely retreat back to Tuluk where relationships are easier and already waiting for him. (especially if ******* happens to play in the same area).

Armageddon addiction is serious. Though there still is much debate about whether it is a diagnosable disorder, there is clearly a segment of our society for whom Armageddon is more than just a casual pastime. These people need friends and family members who care enough to intervene and try to help them break the addictive cycle. Also, they totally need to shower.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Malken said:

QuoteA bunch of bleeding heart crap.

It's called self control.  Here's the definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_control

Glad to be of service.

In short, if you can't handle your addiction to a virtual world by self control, you don't deserve to level/gain/advance/win in real life... because you obviously aren't cut out for it. 

So ends my sympathy sermon.
-Reiloth