Skills

Started by Sandor, July 06, 2003, 12:24:40 PM

I'm wondering how one goes about getting skills he didn't start with.  I'm a warrior right now but think I should have backstab with the way I'm playing the character, is there anyway to go about getting backstab?  Like say I plan on never using shield use, (which I dont) then can I switch them?

-Sandor

I think, a warrior with Backstab would be -too- powerful.  You should of just chosen Assassin and played him like a 'warrior'

Certain skills define the Guild.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Actually I am a warrior playing him like an assassin, I don't see what is so powerful about it, I'm willing to trade skills if that's what you mean.

It doesn't matter, skill trades are rare if ever even being done. Backstab is a powerful skill. Incredibly powerful. Tie in that with the raw power of a warrior and you've got a killing machine.

If you still don't see what's too powerful about someone with the potential like Sujaal, Iakovitz, or Samar having backstab, I don't know what more to say.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean..Fine tone me down so I'm not a warrior, I'm wondering why there are even classes and you can't pick the skills you want.

Let me spell it out for you-

You've got a snowball's chance in hell of having backstab granted to your warrior. That's what we've been trying to say, except with tact. If you're going to complain that class x doesn't get unbalancing skill y, maybe Arm's not the game for you, since you should be more concerned about the roleplaying.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

QuoteI have no idea what that is supposed to mean..
It means that backstab is a potentially 1 hit kill in alot of cases, and that then with the possibilities of several weapon-skill raised attacks coming after that, and parry, its pretty much death in a round or two. -Also- one of the detriments to assassins with the skill is their lack of parrying ability, leaving them open for a walloping should they fail and not flee quick enough.

A warrior with backstab just will not happen, sorry.

QuoteFine tone me down so I'm not a warrior,
-Or- you could just have picked an assassin to begin with and avoid all this confusion and 'toning down'.

QuoteI'm wondering why there are even classes and you can't pick the skills you want.
Because then people play unrealistically, and things are majorly unbalanced. Fighters will pick backstab, parry, weapon skills, maybe a few magick spells, a couple crafts to make and repair their own stuff, things like sneak, hunt, heck why not take everything and just practice what you need? Get the point yet? There are skill limitations for a reason, its to keep things fairly balanced, and  the gameplay of the game stable.

Anyways, want to backstab - play an assassin.

Jeez, I was just wondering how one went about getting another skill.  And carnage, I am concerned about roleplay that's why I'd like the skill because I'm roleplaying this character as an assassin, yeah I shoulda picked the class assassin, but I didn't know that it was all classed based like that, so i'm screwed for this whole character.  But at least I'm focused on the roleplaying, right?

-Sandor

Quoteso i'm screwed for this whole character.

Not really. Your character is what you make of it. 'Assassin' doesn't mean you're actually an assassin. It's just the title of a sneaky, combat-based skillset. You can be a tough assassin as a warrior, ranger, whatever. I don't quite understand what you mean by 'class based'. Arm isn't class based. Your warrior can be a servant, a guard, a hunter, an assassin, or, hell, even a merchant. It's whatever you want it to be, not the title of your class and subclass.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

Exactly, so why not be able to customize your skills to reflect on that roleplay?

-Sandor

Because you don't need skills to roleplay.
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

Alright, Glad you are focused on roleplay.  I'm also sorry if some of the responces have been getting a little harsh.  A lot of skills will just appear when your ability increases enough in skills you already have (skill-branching).  However, there are certain skills you will never get.  Every guild has them.

I will tell you now, keep playing your character how you are.  Coded skills aren't everything.  Soon enough it won't matter that you don't have backstab.  I have seen several Assassins that weren't of the Assassin guild.  You will be amazed at what you can do without skills you -think- you need.

Don't get discouraged, keep playing.  And a point of advice, never play two similar characters in a row, it just makes the game more fun.

~Drunken Salarr
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Then why do muds have skills? You do need them to roleplay, there are many forms of roleplaying, if you are playing a combative type you HAVE to have combat skills, if you are playing a shady and mysterious mercenary it gets more complicated, which is why I chose warrior hoping to customize later, which I never got the chance to.  Your arguement can go both ways Carnage, saying you DONT need skills to roleplay on a mud like this is pretty stupid, let me just emote that I stole that bread and he will give it to me? No you need the steal skill....
Last time I checked this wasn't a MUSH.

-Sandor

Skills like that are not given to classes that dont get them.
You dont need backstab to play a 'shady type character'.

That's nice, you don't need any skills to play a shady type character, you do need them to act on things he would do icly, such as being hired to kill someone in a quiet manner, right?

-Sandor

Your views obviously aren't going to change. In fact, I think you posted this message up just to argue. Chances are high you aren't going to get backstab, so just deal with it and stop complaining.

I'm done with this thread.  :roll:
Carnage

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I've killed many people, in a 'quiet' manor, while being a -merchant-

In fact, it is easier to -kill- stuff, as a warrior.  You can do it.  You don't need the special 'backstab' in order to do it quietly.  You can always lead them down a path, take then out for a 'hunt' or anything like that.  Just be creative.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Well since you seem to be in an arguementative mood Sandor, I'll toss you a few things to chew on.

Did you bother taking the time to read the details about each guild before deciding which one you wanted? I ask this, because if you had, you'd have understood that warrior does -not- get backstab. Each guild description pretty nicely tells you many of the things that come with each one. The ability to aim attacks or imose critical damage is -not- among the warrior guild description. What made you think it might be?

As for an explanation of the whys and wherefores - there are hidden skills that everyone comes with, that don't show up on your skills list. Offense and defense are the two biggies when it comes to combat.

An assassin's defenses SUCK. I mean - we're talking, just blow on me and I'll fall on my ass kinda suck.

A warrior's defenses start out better, and improve faster. It is coded to be this way, and would take a LOT more than simply removing the skill or "capping" it for an IMM to "tone down" a warrior's defenses.

Now then we have you, who wants one of the most powerful attack types to be added to your arsenal, even though you already have one of the most powerful defensive abilities on the block. AND one of the most offensive abilities as well.

Do you really expect that an IMM is going to spend a few days working on code that will allow YOU to have this change?

The game is as it is. You knew about it when you got your account. If you didn't, it's only because you didn't bother to read the information READILY at your disposal. If you knew, and you're just bitching, then shame on you for wasting everyone's time. If you didn't know because you didn't pay attention to the information, then shame on you for not paying attention.

In either case, don't be whining "why can't the game be changed to allow me to do what I want!" because all that will produce is people like me who have very VERY little tolerance for that sort of thing, jumping down your throat.

Quote from: "Sandor"That's nice, you don't need any skills to play a shady type character, you do need them to act on things he would do icly, such as being hired to kill someone in a quiet manner, right?

-Sandor

I will tell you now, you have all the skills you need to do that as you are now.  Put a little thought into it, have some fun, and enjoy.  Skills, while important, are not everything.  You do not need to know how to put a kinfe in just the right spot in order to kill someone un-observed and dispose of the body.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

I'm not trying to argue, I'm wondering why you all so adamant about customization of a characters skills?  And don't give me the whole, well everyone would pick the best skills, you'd have big uber strong warriors with backstab running around?  That's not the case, there are plenty of systems that work, I'm wondering why it's so taboo to state my opinion.

-Sandor

Its not that it is taboo... it is just that many people here feel strongly about the current system. The base classes have been done very well. There are unbalanced guilds and such, this is where the karma system comes in.

If you really feel strongly about having a beefed up assassin then try to work -with- the imms here and special app, correspond with them. They are extremely helpful. You may not get everything you want, but if they feel you can be trusted in a role such as the one you've explained, and you think you actually have a shot at it, send them an email.

Your tone came off argumentative is all. You catch more flies with honey than with vineger if you get my drift.

Seriosuly though, a (long lived) pc with warrior abilities -and- backstab would be nigh on unstobbale short of magic use and poisons.

Bottom line--- You -can- customize your skill-set. All it takes is special apping to the imms, keep a cival tone and propose good ideas instead of shooting down someone elses compromise.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

*sigh* If you want a sneaky, hiding, backstabbing combative type... Your going for an assassin. Which works quite well. With the right IC things you can be pretty scary.

Warriors are MUCH more scary, just all out in front. The ability to use weapons to attack and defend... They can toss out MANY attacks some even getting to the damage of a earlier backstabber, can be up to two at a time instead of just one and having to flee. Several ways to fairly easiely knock someone out... Can get one hit kills there... Can still use poisons as warriors... Although takes alittle more work can still easiely be done IC...

I'd still prefer the assassin class if I was going for a sneaky character... But... A warrior with backstab? Holy crap... Backstab and if you get skilled can crank out six responding hits probably all half the damage of the backstab to begin with? As well as being nigh untouchable? Yes, it does get VERY unbalancing... Heck, I've had a character I thought was alittle unbalanced as a human warrior and he still basically sucked compared to some of the people I've seen in the game...

You'd have troubles getting it... I'm guessing it MIGHT be possible... but probably going to have to be handled before hand and not after the character is made... And even then it's still really iffy... To take the disadvantages to balance out that skill... There's probably not any reason at all to try and go that route.

Armageddon's a class based MUD, but those classes are just skills sets, they aren't IC things... They really don't effect RP... I've had VERY successful characters, even with combative based skills and not use one of them... Ever. Even seen people in combative positions without any coded combative skills... Not grandly the norm, but quite possible.

Creeper who thinks, you just have to face the fact that people well disagree with you, and that most well disagree to the extreme.
21sters Unite!

Ah, I didn't even know there was any special application thing, thanks.

(EDIT: edited to be more constructive.)

Sandor, I think what people are trying to tell you is that none of us know where our characters' lives and jobs will lead them when we pick our guilds.  It's up to your own creativity to work around the code and figure out a way to make things happen.  

A few examples:
-One "assassin" character I played was actually a serving girl.
-My "pickpocket" was a spy and concubine.
-I played a "ranger" who was actually part bard, part merchant.
-I played a "physician" who was obsessed with poison.

Believe me that as a warrior, you are just as capable (perhaps even moreso in some cases) of killing as an assassin, if you are creative.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

That would be correct crymerci, as well as unneccesary. No need to point things out like that, just try and be helpful instead of critical.

::::EDIT:::: - point taken
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Dan"That would be correct crymerci, as well as unneccesary. No need to point things out like that, just try and be helpful instead of critical.

Thanks for policing my posts.  You might want to take your own advice. :)  As you can see, in the time it took you to write that I was actually editing it of my own accord.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Look at how many people the Byn kill in a quiet, shady manner.  I'm willing to bet a million bucks that not all of them are assassins.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

The spiced up Sergeant leading a bunch of green backs off the Shield Wall doesn't count a quiet killing... I'm sure they all scream on the way down.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I would say that it is safe to say that someone who is a warrior will never have the backstab skill.  Simply put, if it was easy to be both a warrior and have backstab, you would have a truly terrifying killer.  The advantage of being a warrior is that you can face all attacks out in the open.  You can always uncork a can of whoop ass with little to no thought in the matter.  An assassin on the other hand fights in a completely different way.  If he launches an attack without surprise, he is in deep trouble.  More then that, even with surprise he usually needs planning.  I can tell you that I have had warriors that could have been knocked down to 1 hp, then proceeded to beat the living shit out of a completely maxed out assassin.  So, an assassin is really a character who bases his combat around surprise and planning.  This is how an assassin's skill set is designed.

Now, that is not to say that you can't play your warrior like an assassin.  In fact, I would say that I have had warriors that were damned close to being assassins, spies, and all manner of unsavory 'sneaky' folk.  You just needed to RP being a sneaky silent killing bastard in other ways.  Will you ever be able to code wise kill someone in broad daylight on a busy street and not have the guards notice?  Nope, but even the most skilled assassins would find that task somewhere between very hard and completely impossible.  Will you be able to sneak around using the code?  Nah.  That doesn't mean you can't still do these things in your own way.

For instance, let's say you want to be a contract killer and you are a generic old warrior.  

First off, get good at combat.  A warrior who has first strike against an unarmed opponent who is not wielding a weapon is an absolute terror.  Two rounds from a skilled warrior is more then enough potential to kill an unsuspecting target.  Backstab is nasty, but getting hit four times on the head before you can move is just as nasty if not more so.  Next, you have that nifty bash skill.  Again, against a person unarmed, sitting, or otherwise unskilled, you are bound to cause a world of pain, and keep them from running.  Once surprise has worn off you really come into your own.  If you attack a person skilled at combat with your assassin, and they manage to whip out a weapon before you kill them, you are in trouble.  If someone manages to whip out a weapon before your warrior has killed them, they are still trouble.  Simply put, you have all the tools to be a killer.  

Second, add in the planning and the stealth.  The planning and the stealth are easy, you just need to do it more through RP then your average class based assassin would.  Don't be fooled into thinking that RPed stealth is in any way less effective then code based stealth.  Let's say you want to take out Lord Inbreed.  Using code based stealth, you would probably need to shadow the bastard to his bedroom and kill him there, then use your skills to sneak out.  Truth be told, such a feat would be damn near impossible without magik, and you would need more then a little luck to escape his bodyguards who would surely take offense to you killing their master.  As a warrior you would not have this option.  You would need to use a little grey matter to get to him alone.  Just because you are a warrior does not mean you need to wear armor.  Strip off your armor, pose as a merchant, and try and get him alone with you.  Hell, he doesn't even have to be alone.  You are a bad ass warrior.  Just get him some place where he only has a couple of guards.  The fact that you are a warrior works very much in your favor skill wise, as if you have decent skills at guarding, you also are decent getting past a guard.  Further, after you have dispatched your target, unlike an assassin you would have a decent chance at dispatching his body guards.

Even hard coded skills can be mimicked with a little forethought.  Want to bled into the 'rinth, throw on a proper 'rinth cloak.  Unless someone is using the look command at each person they pass, they will just pass you off as another resident.  Need to get into the Traders Inn without raising any eyebrows, just buy yourself a fancy silk cloak and perhaps a silk veil.  That alone will deflect most casual glances from staying on your persona for anything longer then a few seconds.  Need to sneak into the Byn?  Just grab yourself a Byn aba and throw it over your head.  For all anyone knows you are just another new recruit.  Simply put, sneaking around is very easy as a warrior, you just need to actually think a little bit about it.

The point is that you can play a sneaking conniving bastard who is a warrior.  If it is in your nature to beat people when they are defenseless, don't let the fact that you don't have the backstab skill stop you.  A warrior tearing out two weapons and beating a person who doesn't have his own weapons out is just as effective as an assassins backstab, if not more so.  Further, there really is no good instance I can think of that having backstab is the only way your character can make sense.  It might be something he would be interested, but certainly any amount of reasoning can come up with a reason why it simply isn't his style or something he just isn't good at.

If you really want a skill, the thing to do is the mail the MUD account.  Let me promise you though that if you mail them offering to exchange one skill for another, you will be flat out rejected.  Offering to exchange shield use, cooking, bludgeoning, slashing, and chopping in exchange for backstab will without a doubt get you rejection.  

A while back Sanvean write a blurb about getting skills that might be of help to you.

QuoteDon't email in offering to "swap" things. This isn't some sort of negotiation, where skill X is worth 5 points and skill Y is worth 10, and so forth. Particularly silly are the emails where people write in offering to trade cooking for backstab.

Don't write in and just say "I rped this out". Attach a log, preferably a couple. Be aware that we're going to make you work for it. By the same token, if you send in a log, we are not then obliged to add the skill with no questions asked. A log or logs strengthens your case; they are no guarantee.

A character with 10 days on it that has been RP-ing out something consistently has a much better chance of it than a character with 10 hours on it.

Be sensible. On occasion, yes, people that are non-magick users have gotten a spell or psi skill - but this is always the result of an extended plot line and some amount of work. You are welcome to go into the Temple of Vivadu and RP with a NPC there infusing you with the power of Greyskull, but it's probably not going to work.

Be aware that there are code limitations. Hide and sneak are particularly problematic if you are not the appropriate class.

If it's a request that requires code specific to your character, like being able to shoot fireballs from your butt, it's going to take a LOT of valid explanation about how this would add to the game.

If you have had problems in the past with game or OOC abuse, maybe you should work on clearing that up before asking for special considerations.

Some skills are more powerful than others. Picking up floristry is going to be a lot easier to talk me into than listen, backstab, or Atomic Fist.

Well.... Sanvean's relpy brings up some important questions itself... What the heck is Atomic Fist? And how can I get it?

Must have... Must HAVE!  :twisted:
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "Sandor"That's nice, you don't need any skills to play a shady type character, you do need them to act on things he would do icly, such as being hired to kill someone in a quiet manner, right?

I think that people are too focused on game balance.  If you want the backstab skill, then I would suggest that you find somebody who is incredibly proficient in the skill, have them give you lessons on the art of stealth and anatomy, use a lot of thinks and emotes in order to test out what you've been taught, experiment with different styles, and other such things.  Log it all and E-mail it to the account.  The immortals may comply, and they may not.  In the future you should choose a class that is suited to the concept you wish to play, because you shouldn't expect or count on customization such as this.  To everybody else:  Come on people, if the game was balanced than magickers wouldn't SMOKE you, half-giants wouldn't EAT you, muls wouldn't RAVAGE you, and templars wouldn't SMITE you.

That being said, Carnage and the others have a point.  You don't need the backstab skill to pull off an assassination.  My last character was killed by, get this:  A WARRIOR AND A PICKPOCKET!  There was no backstabbing involved, just cleverness and trickery.  So no, if you never get the backstab skill your concept isn't ruined, and if it is then you have nobody to blame but yourself because you don't have the ingenuity to use what you have to your best advantage.

EDIT:  Whoops, didn't read the second page of all this.  Some of what I've said may have already been said.
Back from a long retirement

Sandor,

These questions you raise, of swapping skills, customizing skills, are good ones to raise.  I'd like to try and answer them.

Swapping skills is something that, to my knowledge, has never happened.  It could happen all the time, but it's never been discussed by anyone before.  I don't know any Muds that do it, and it would be very much out of place in Armageddon.  Arm tries to be as realistic as it can be, but when dealing with a computer game, it isn't always possible to make everything as easy as having the request granted.

Another problem is that you want your Warrior to get backstab.  There may be skills you are prepared to swap, but none can match the power of the backtab skill.  You are literally asking for the power to kill in one strike.  That isn't a common skill, and out of sixteen different classes you may have to choose, and of the six starting classes, there is one class that can do it well, and another that gets backstab only after a lot of training over a lengthy period of time.

As for being able to pick and choose the skills you want, this clearly forces one to wonder if the code in Arm can do it.  Muds are computer programs, and as such no two muds have identical code.  Arm is a highly modified Mud and, as such, has some very specific coding and scripts.  Not all Arm code is brilliantly designed, object-oriented code based on a friendly language, it is very complex.

So I suggest an alternative.  Clearly, you seem to be convinced that you wanted your character to be much more of an Assassin than a Warrior.  You have a couple options.  I don't know how new you are to Arm, but from what you've put up on the GDB I'd say fairly new.  You may want to stick with the warrior for now and get to know the game, develop your roleplay and knowledge of the game and perhaps find that you can assassinate people much easier through other avenues than by actually hunting a person down and trying to off them.  Getting good as an assassin who kills with his hands takes a long, long time, probably anywhere from six to twelve months real time.  That's a heck of a lot of time, it requires tremendous patience.

On the other hand, if your heart is set on playing an assassin and you want backstab, you have another option - you can retire this character.  Basically it means your character is stowed away, leaving you free to create another character.  However, you can never play the same character twice, so this one would have to be an assassin that is as different from your warrior as one person is to another.  Here is more information for you:

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?retire

Good luck.

But I already died, lol, so I'm making my assassin, thanks everybody.

-Sandor

A few things you should read up on before starting to roleplay your new assassin:

http://www.armageddon.org/general/guilds.html#assassin

from the "fighting styles" page ( http://www.armageddon.org/general/fightingstyles.html )

QuoteSome groups, particularly those with shadier reputations, seem to have developed extreme skill with close-quarters combat. They utilize only the dagger and knife, both for throwing and for hand-to-hand combat, as well as training in grappling and unarmed combat. Suspected practitioners of these styles are also known to be very acrobatic, capable of performing maneuvers that, if anticipated, might be considered flashy and inefficient, but when used on those unfamiliar with them, have the useful effect of possibly surprising them into inaction for a crucial split-second.  

(the above can help you with the actual roleplaying of your combat, so you have an idea of HOW your character might fight. This is not necessarily law, just a recommendation of a style for emoting purposes)

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?encumbrance

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?skill_sneak

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?skill_backstab

Notes about using the coded skills:

Do -not- twink. Not only is it cheating, it also makes no sense. There is no reason why you would backstab a rat. First of all you're a lot bigger than a rat, you could just smush it with your hand or kick it with your boot. If you have the opportunity to practice backstab on a training dummy, EMOTE IT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT. Go nuts with emote when practicing backstab. If you type "backstab/flee" over and over again, it's only going to piss off the IMMs and you'll end up with no more backstab skill. Be sure your clan allows using backstab for practice sessions on a dummy before trying it. Failure to follow the rules of your clan will get you tossed out at best, assassinated at worst. Just as in real life, ignorance of the law is no excuse for disobeying it. It's your responsibility to find out, not theirs to feed it to you.

In addition, do yourself a huge favor and don't make your character's description shady looking. You do -not- want people to look at you and say "Oooh he must be an assassin!." Well, at least not until you're DAMNED good at it, and that will take a long time (real life months).

As an assassin, you will be a lousy warrior. You will suck in combat for a very long time. Embrace the suckitude, roleplay around it. Give your character a reason for being so piss-poor. Maybe he's a coward when it comes to face-to-face confrontations. Maybe he's just very weak, physically - due to childhood illness, or getting dropped off the shield wall by a drunken half-giant, or whatever. You -can- use your stats as a general guideline to use in your roleplay, but it isn't necessary.

For instance, if you have really high strength, you can assume, as an example, that your character works out by lifting rocks (since we don't have weights that I know of in Zanthalas). If he has really bad endurance, maybe he suffers from some sort of asthmatic condition that leaves him unable to walk very far for long periods of time.

Just remember, from a strictly coded standpoint, an assassin doesn't get a chance to BE an assassin for a very long time. Find a "cover" for your character so that you have something to do while you're working on your skills, because otherwise you'll either just sit there frustrated and bored with nothing to do, or you'll make the mistake of telling someone you're an assassin and not being able to back it up with skill.

I don't plan on doing any of those things, but thanks for the advice.

Here is a quote from the web page documentation:
QuoteChoosing a Guild:

Keep in mind that the guild of your character only decides what skills your character will get, and which skills they will be able to pick up. It means nothing to what profession your character will have, or want to have, or what things they will enjoy or be good at.

Pick a guild that suits your background: think over how your character will have required the skills he/she has. Did someone teach her how to handle weapons, if so who, and why? Is he of guild merchant, if so, where did he learn the merchant tongue Cavilish? If a pick-pocket, how did she develop quick fingers, and has she used that "talent" and if so why and where? This isn't something you have to write out in your background; it's for your own use and will give a more genuine feel to your character. More information on the guilds available in the game is available here -- be aware not all guilds are available to new players.

In addition to their main guild, characters have secondary guilds: bard, thief, hunter, forester, armorcrafter, stonecrafter, scavenger, house servant, guard, weaponcrafter, physician, mercenary, archer, general crafter. Secondary guilds are intended to flesh out a character and allow their skills to reflect their interests and history.

Here is another , what I hope to be, helpful quote:
QuoteThere are eleven guilds at the present time, each with its own unique set of skills and abilities, and each should be roleplayed very differently. Some guilds are karma required; this means they are restricted to players who have demonstrated roleplay ability and responsibility. Such guilds are marked (karma required).

I hope this helps you understand the ideas behind the guilds (or as you call them classes). Customizing your skill set is not part of Armageddon's original (and current) design. Not so long ago sub-classes were introduced allowing you a chance to "customize" your character to match their background. I suggest reading through most of the web page docs on guilds and sub-classes, also look at some of the archived posts on these subjects because they do come up often, and many of the questions you will have are answered there.

Good luck, and I hope you learn to enjoy Arm for what it is.

QuoteThere are eleven guilds at the present time,

I counted 16 listed on the web page.  Are some of these unavailable?

Assassin
Burglar
Fire Elementalist
Lightning Elementalist
Merchant
Pick Pocket
Psionicist
Ranger
Shadow Elementalist
Sorcerer
Stone Elementalist
Templar
Void Elementalist
Warrior
Water Elementalist
Wind Elementalist
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I hardly have any of those..

-Sandor

Nah, you won't have most of them at first. The majority of those primary skillsets (called guilds in Armageddon, professions in games that force you to stick with specific skillsets that never branch out, or classes in most muds), are earned through roleplay.

In most cases, karma is earned when an IMM takes notice of your RP and grants you the option of trying more complex skillsets after your current character dies. In some cases, karma can be granted through special application, and even then, such applications have to be approved based on the approving IMM recognizing your understanding of whatever you've been doing up til then.

Good luck with your assassin. There's been a lot of great advice from what I've seen posted so far. If you follow even half of it, you'll probably do pretty well.