Could a ranger's campfire designate a temporary quit room?

Started by armandhammer, March 26, 2010, 05:43:59 PM

Delayed? Used by party members?

Ponder the possibilities, discuss the directions not to go in.

Go!

I would LOVE to be able to go on an adventure exploring a new area with a group without having to worry about finding a quit room or spamming back to a city/camp.

I've always wanted a way for a group to "make" a quit room without having to ride around in the wagon.
I can't really see a good way of doing it without it either being abused or crazy coplicated. (what if one of your party doesn't log in for a week after you get back from exploring?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: armandhammer on March 26, 2010, 05:43:59 PM
Delayed? Used by party members?

Ponder the possibilities, discuss the directions not to go in.

Go!

I would love if when a ranger made a camp, it turned the room into a quit room that anyone could use for the duration of the fire.

I would also love if rangers had to make a camp before they themselves could quit.

I would also love if rangers didn't need "wood and stuff" to make a camp. They could just do it implicitly, with a time delay, based on skill. (It would be a skill - not mgick)

I would also love if anyone could quit anywhere in the outdoors as soon as they wanted, but if they did so without a ranger camp when they came back in game they got a message that said "your time in the wastes has caused you to suffer" and their health + stam were reduced by 50% (requiring sleep to heal) and their hunger + thirst levels increased by 50%.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I like it.  Helps reinforce the rangers-as-desert-guides thing which some feel was lessened by the storm navigation changes.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

How does 'quit' work, codewise, in Diku?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on March 26, 2010, 07:59:54 PM
How does 'quit' work, codewise, in Diku?

I could be mistaken but if I recall from previous Diku experiences. You could quit anywhere and at anytime. Unless otherwise engaged in combat, etc.

Total package:

1. Whenever a ranger wilderness-quits, make that room quit safe for everyone who was in it at the time he left...until they move out of it.
2. Whenever anyone logs in, make the room in which he ENTERED the game quit-safe for him until he leaves it.  You can log back in to wait for your ranger friend, but you can't go anywhere on your own.

So, rangers can lead whole parties anywhere and let them quit.  But the party is paralyzed until one of its rangers comes back.  Talk about highly-employable...

How about "quit city". You quit in the wilderness, but you log back in in the city. It would have a time delay of about 10 seconds to prevent abuse, and you'd have to be logged out for a certain amount of time in order to re-arrive in the city. You also need to be a certain distance from the city as well for it to work. Along with some other restrictions, perhaps.

Quote from: A Dry, Quiet War on March 26, 2010, 11:31:09 PM
Total package:

1. Whenever a ranger wilderness-quits, make that room quit safe for everyone who was in it at the time he left...until they move out of it.
2. Whenever anyone logs in, make the room in which he ENTERED the game quit-safe for him until he leaves it.  You can log back in to wait for your ranger friend, but you can't go anywhere on your own.

So, rangers can lead whole parties anywhere and let them quit.  But the party is paralyzed until one of its rangers comes back.  Talk about highly-employable...

VERY NICE!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: MeTekillot on March 27, 2010, 01:29:29 AM
How about "quit city". You quit in the wilderness, but you log back in in the city. It would have a time delay of about 10 seconds to prevent abuse, and you'd have to be logged out for a certain amount of time in order to re-arrive in the city. You also need to be a certain distance from the city as well for it to work. Along with some other restrictions, perhaps.

Highly abuseable.

Some places you can travel to are much harder to get back from in the world. One example being- Mountain tops.   ;)
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on March 27, 2010, 10:50:48 AM

Highly abuseable.

Some places you can travel to are much harder to get back from in the world. One example being- Mountain tops.   ;)

Different parts of the world have different city-return delays.  Out on the salt flats?  You have to stay logged out for more than an hour (6 IC hours).  Middle of the tablelands?  Give yourself a few hours (a couple IC days).  Top of the mountains north of the Grey Forest?  Good luck getting home buddy, you've got to wait 12 hours (like 8 IC days) before your next log in....

Having to wait to play, would send a lot of people nerves grinding. Especially if they have to wait 12 hours.

Quote from: A20B on March 28, 2010, 01:57:39 PM
Quote from: Dan on March 27, 2010, 10:50:48 AM

Highly abuseable.

Some places you can travel to are much harder to get back from in the world. One example being- Mountain tops.   ;)

Different parts of the world have different city-return delays.  Out on the salt flats?  You have to stay logged out for more than an hour (6 IC hours).  Middle of the tablelands?  Give yourself a few hours (a couple IC days).  Top of the mountains north of the Grey Forest?  Good luck getting home buddy, you've got to wait 12 hours (like 8 IC days) before your next log in....

I don't think distance is the main factor.  Rather, this command allows one to skip dangerous terrain and dangerous critters.  Would the command check to make sure you had enough water and food to survive the trek back?  Would the command check that there isn't a pack of Soh rangers hot on your trail, just a few leagues away?  Would the command check that there wasn't a small army of gith between you and your city? 

The fact of the matter is that it's pretty easy to wander out far in the wilds.  Getting back is what separates the skilled from the mantis-food. 

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Rindin had an idea a while back where a party could "quit on" a group leader. Essentially it would allow for a mobile spawnpoint during an rpt where players can log in and off as they need to.

Example: Sergeant Talia embarks on a 3 rl day mission to the orbital vestric space station. Amos and Malik don't need to worry about finding a quit room as the rpt follows into the wee hours of the night. They can log off on Talia and log on again the next day and rejoin her immediately.

It would lead to all sorts a of adventuring possibilities without the real life time management headaches that seem to come with Armageddon.

The downside is that Amos is going to have a hard time explaining how he survived the space vestric's gravitron beams after the entire party had been wiped when he logs back on.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on March 29, 2010, 02:30:56 AM
Rindin had an idea a while back where a party could "quit on" a group leader. Essentially it would allow for a mobile spawnpoint during an rpt where players can log in and off as they need to.

Good idea, but it should only work with rangers. Want your minions to be able to quit out with you? Shouldn't have picked warrior then, should you?

(Which, uh, makes it pretty nearly equivalent to my idea.)

How about you just go back to the city, like the rest of us? :)
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: Jingo on March 29, 2010, 02:30:56 AM
The downside is that Amos is going to have a hard time explaining how he survived the space vestric's gravitron beams after the entire party had been wiped when he logs back on.

If Talia dies, anyone using her as a quit point should die too.
Also, logging in while she is mudsexxing the the many-tentacled alien leader of the vestrics in his private chamber o' love would be awkward at best.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Heh, Quit safe tents maybe?  
    Just throwing this out there, but if you did quit safe tents that were awarded by staff to the player base (via karma, house roles, bad assery, etc).  This takes away most of the abuse problem, as well as the urge for everyone to app for rangers.  As for said tent getting destroyed, it treats it as if you attempted to flee, with a wonderful little room that you log into that says either: A) You managed to find an opening and retreated to the nearest town or last known location that's fairly safe, or B) You fought valiantly, but just when you were about to make a break for it, that pesky (insert baddy here) hit you viciously with no hope of surviving like a merciful head blow or something).
    As for others using the tent, maybe do a portible shelter type thing, but with keywords to prevent from quitting (As in, an active search of your character for being a member of (insert group here)).
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

No. To any of these.

If you can die being logged out. It shouldn't be inputed. I am sorry.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on March 29, 2010, 04:08:35 PM

Not sure clarify..Main screen turn on?

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on March 29, 2010, 04:08:35 PM
No. To any of these.

\

I agree. There shouldn't be a potential of my PC dying while i'm not logged in.

Quit safe tent is the closest thing i've seen to a coherent idea. If it gets destroyed, you should just log into the room outside of the tent.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: janeshephard on March 29, 2010, 10:43:58 AM

How about you just go back to the city, like the rest of us? :)

some people have highly unpredictable schedules that maay require them to quit at a moment`s notice.

Wasn`t there a camp idea that was like a delayed quit command, where it would take about a rl minute for you to quit?

Quote from: Reiloth on March 29, 2010, 04:27:03 PM
Quit safe tent is the closest thing i've seen to a coherent idea. If it gets destroyed, you should just log into the room outside of the tent.

In some cases this could make it very easy for A to kill B as soon as B logs in, even for some time after A has left.  I don't know whether that's a strength or a weakness of this idea.

Quote from: A Dry, Quiet War on March 29, 2010, 04:36:56 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on March 29, 2010, 04:27:03 PM

In some cases this could make it very easy for A to kill B as soon as B logs in, even for some time after A has left.  I don't know whether that's a strength or a weakness of this idea.

Raiding 101, camping outside a tent even now (without quit-safe tents) is a favorite raider trick.

Gotta have -some- drawbacks and risks to getting a "quit anywhere in the desert" ticket, yeah?