Subguild with pick, peek etc?

Started by jmordetsky, March 24, 2010, 03:33:10 PM

Should there be a subguild that gets pick and peek?

Yar!
24 (70.6%)
Nay!
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

With appropriate caps of course.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Pick and peek?  They don't match up, first off.  A subguild with one or the other?  Like the thief subguild getting peek?  Yeah, that I could do.  Or a 'locksmith' (or whatever it could be called) subguild that got pick?  Okay.  One that got both?  Ridiculous.  It doesn't make sense to me.  This subguild would be the 'city elf warrior subguild YAY!' if you ask me.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on March 24, 2010, 03:37:19 PM
Pick and peek?  They don't match up, first off.  A subguild with one or the other?  Like the thief subguild getting peek?  Yeah, that I could do.  Or a 'locksmith' (or whatever it could be called) subguild that got pick?  Okay.  One that got both?  Ridiculous.  It doesn't make sense to me.  This subguild would be the 'city elf warrior subguild YAY!' if you ask me.

Hmm, right I guess I should have broken them out. Durn.

I was thinking - thief gets peek.

And another subguild for pick.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

A subguild with pick will be downright useless. The skill cap must be lower then ... other guilds who have it. And if you do not count burglar, the one other who can pick already has a pretty low cap. Lower it down even more and ... honestly, meh. Also, pick is kind of powerful. Pick affects "multiple" people. Do you "really" want to spread it's use even more? Considering that one of the biggest problem of a burglar, is that ... there are too many burglars for the world to sustain the number?

As for peek ... I dont see why not. I am against thief knowing how to pieek though. A thief with high enough agility, doesnt need to be a pickpocket to be pretty damn powerful.  But say ... a con artist or a bard? Awesome.

Pick no. Peek I could see belonging possibly to the guard subguild, checking for hidden weapons...etc. Maybe others.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I don't care so much for pick because I think it's a stupid skill that does the game no good, but peek should absolutely be a part of the thief subguild. The steal skill is virtually useless without it,

I voted yes for peek.  Thief.  I don't think guard should get it, because when a guard needs to check your things, he checks your things, no subtleties needed.

Pick, I think, only belongs in the guilds which currently have it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Peek for Thief and House servant...possibly bard, but definitly the first two.

As to pick...Heh, I think Con artist should get that at a middle level. And remember, that skill is not worth much unless you can get past the guards.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 24, 2010, 05:42:16 PM
I voted yes for peek.  Thief.  I don't think guard should get it, because when a guard needs to check your things, he checks your things, no subtleties needed.

Except for the fact that peek is the only way to check someone's inventory for things that are not obviously visible.

Quote from: jhunter on March 24, 2010, 06:50:49 PM

Except for the fact that peek is the only way to check someone's inventory for things that are not obviously visible.

mercy on;subdue person;kill person. You can peek into someone's inventory when they're unconscious.

Quote from: Dar on March 24, 2010, 06:52:23 PM
Quote from: jhunter on March 24, 2010, 06:50:49 PM

Except for the fact that peek is the only way to check someone's inventory for things that are not obviously visible without fucking them up when it wouldn't realistically be necessary.

mercy on;subdue person;kill person. You can peek into someone's inventory when they're unconscious.

Fixed.

I say yes because:

• Subguild skills aren't as robust as primary guild skills
  • Simple picking and peeking skills shouldn't be so difficult to learn that only thief/pickpocket/burglars will have a moderate success rate against simple targets and contraptions.
  • No matter how good subguild abilities are, a thief/pickpocket/burglar with the same stats, equipment, and off/def will almost always outclass the subguild skill.

It wouldn't matter if you added peek to subclass thief, because subclass steal is so shitty it's nothing but jailbait.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Thief could have decent steal+peek caps, thought it'd probably have to lose one of its other skills as it's a pretty fine subguild already. It's arguable that no (experienced) players ever take subguild thief for the purposes of actual thieving, so a change seems reasonable.

A mini-burglar subclass with pick and sneak, plus a less powerful third perk, would be decent. A ranger who explores ruins and such might take it, or a thuggish warrior, or just anyone who doesn't want to grind to pick on a sneaky class.

Yes, all skills should be spread out over the sub-guilds to make it fair.
Amor Fati

Quote from: Fnord on March 24, 2010, 10:40:48 PM
Yes, all skills should be spread out over the sub-guilds to make it fair.

I think that Fnord's snarking now.  But I could happily live in a world in which you can get 1/3 to 1/2 of any mundane guild's skill list in a subguild, just capped lower.  And it sounds like that's not so far from the direction being taken in Armageddon Reborn.

-If- pick were added to any subguild skillsets, I believe that the base percentage for burglars should be increased. In my opinion, pick is a more specialized skill for those of the burglar class.

There should be one mundane guild with all mundane skills and people just decide how to progress their characters. 
"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

Quote from: Sinna on March 31, 2010, 04:34:00 AM
There should be one mundane guild with all mundane skills and people just decide how to progress their characters. 

Ewwwww no.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on March 31, 2010, 08:23:49 PM

Ewwwww no.

That was convincing! 

Quote from: Sinna on March 31, 2010, 08:32:12 PM

Ewwwww no.

That was convincing! 

TRANSLATION TIEM!

Ewwwww no.

Truncates to:

Too much work with not enough reward for it-- staff-wise, that is.

Skills are broken up into guilds and subguilds for a reason. A guild that allows people to have all skills and progress from there would be stupidly overpowered-- just imagine this, if you will....

A mundane with poisoning, sneak, hide, backstab, parry, bash, disarm, and kick..... With no predetermined caps, this character would just be a whirlwind of death and destruction to anything in his path, and I know this game's not all about balancing classes, but just.... Damn, y'know?

From my understanding, most every main guild that is combat oriented gets this to some lesser degree, no?
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

No ... not really. Those skills are all broken up between a few classes, but staff has expressed they don't want us to get into stuff like that on the boards so, I'll leave it at that. But check the help files on the different guilds for an idea.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

April 01, 2010, 02:18:35 AM #23 Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:21:04 AM by RogueGunslinger
I always figured the proposed idea would have caps that limited your ability to pick skills. IE you have access to every skill yes, but you could only become proficient in a couple, while the rest were limited use. Or many were average, but none were proficient. Or one skill is masterable, but the rest would be very low...

Why is it, whenever an idea is proposed, people immediately think of the worst possible situation, and never administer their own logical limits to it?

C'mon people. Use your brains a bit.

Edited to add: Sure you have kick, backstabb, bash, sap, parry and bash. But none of them would be useful, because you have so many badass skills. Get the concept?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 31, 2010, 10:29:05 PM
Quote from: Sinna on March 31, 2010, 08:32:12 PM

Ewwwww no.

That was convincing! 

TRANSLATION TIEM!

Ewwwww no.

Truncates to:

Too much work with not enough reward for it-- staff-wise, that is.

Skills are broken up into guilds and subguilds for a reason. A guild that allows people to have all skills and progress from there would be stupidly overpowered-- just imagine this, if you will....

A mundane with poisoning, sneak, hide, backstab, parry, bash, disarm, and kick..... With no predetermined caps, this character would just be a whirlwind of death and destruction to anything in his path, and I know this game's not all about balancing classes, but just.... Damn, y'know?

LOL.

Too much work? You don't know that and I suspect it isn't.

Whirlwind of death: I think this would balance out for the following reasons:

1. I trust my coplayers to play realistically, generally.
2. Characters, by and large, don't live that long.
3. Everyone has access to the same shtuff, so benefits would balance out.

The idea that someone can be a warrior (or a water mage, for that matter) with a background of hard living outdoors and still can't camp out there or with a background as a thief yet can't seem to remember how to pickpocket is limiting. 

The idea of skill grouping into classes is generally to promote balance but the Immortals have, a long time ago, admitted the classes are not balanced and they were not shooting for balance.  If there is no need for balance in the classes (which I think we all agree would be horrible anyway), why have classes at all?