In-game Kudos.

Started by jhunter, February 26, 2010, 02:25:46 AM

There should be an in-game kudos command that works similar to bug, idea, or typo. You should be able to use "~" to target a character specifically and attach the kudos to their account.

>kudos ~Amos Excellent job showing proper emotion in his situation. Played along with the scene very well even though his character was in peril.

*You send a kudos to the player of the tall, muscular man.*

Whenever this is done a message would not only go to the player of the character but to the staff as well.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

So the people that ooc-coordinate can spam each other.  I like it.

In case you couldn't tell, I'd rather the staff supervise this so people don't kudos-bate each other.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I like it, and would like it even more if it allowed for giving kudos to exceptional rooms, objects, NPCs, etc. I proposed a similar idea a few months ago, here: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,36157.0.html .
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: spawnloser on February 26, 2010, 05:02:26 AM
So the people that ooc-coordinate can spam each other.  I like it.

In case you couldn't tell, I'd rather the staff supervise this so people don't kudos-bate each other.

I'm certain the staff already know who OOCly coordinates with whom. Kudos-spamming would just make it more obvious.
One day that wall is gonna fall.

Quote from: the OP
Whenever this is done a message would not only go to the player of the character but to the staff as well.

The supervision's already allowed for in the original idea.

It would be cool if this idea extended to the bodies of PCs, as well...

Kinda need supervision or this will start popping up with new players.
#LOOP 100 ( kudos Malik )
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

February 26, 2010, 08:33:33 AM #6 Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:35:30 AM by Cutthroat
The only problem I actually have with this idea is that the Player Kudos request specifically states what's wrong with "one-liner" kudos, and indeed, this allows us to expand on the kudos and be creative with what we actually want to say. If this kudos thing opened up the IG editor, then sure, an automated kudos system could actually be pretty handy.

With the message being sent to staff as well, they can catch things like kudos Amos * 100, kudos Amos get on at 9PM plz to skillup, or kudos Amos you suck lol, so abuse is essentially a non-issue. Similar to abusing "scribble" or "wish", if a staff member finds you're abusing "kudos", they'll, at the least, disable it for you.

Spawnloser has the right of this, WAY too much potential for abuse with people getting their friends recognition that may or not be deserved.

Besides, from what I remember reading, the kudos should be unnecessary as it would be akin to me telling my brother, 'Hey man, good breathing you're doing there'
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

I never said anything about it being restricted to one-liners. Opening up the in-game editor would be a fine idea. There is no more potential for abuse than the out of game system, if you can explain to me how, please do so. The benefit is, which I'm sure this happens alot, is that people can immediately send a kudos on the spot without trying to remember the pc's name, without knowing the pc's name. (Good for raiding encounters, etc.) And it allows for them to do it right off instead of thinking it and then not doing it later which I'm sure happens alot. Obviously with the message going to staff as well, they can see when there's some ridiculous shit going on and note player's accounts as necessary.
As I said, there is no more potential for abuse, this would just make it easier to send kudos for players of characters that you may have interacted with for a single scene and do not know.

I think if it went only to the staff, who could then forward it to the player (which is how the out-of-game kudos works now) that would solve any concerns of potential abuse.

I think it's a great idea, if you just cut out the part about it automatically going to the player.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

February 26, 2010, 11:12:49 AM #10 Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:35:48 AM by jmordetsky
So the people that ooc-coordinate can spam each other.  I like it.

So, although it's wrapped up in a big bag of negaton - you do have point.

JHunter - I think this would be a pretty awesome idea as stated, if the kudos went the same route as the request tool kudos. Ie, same approval and delivery process etc. But being able to kudos/bug/idea in game or on website I believe has merrit. If you want to send a quick note: "you rock" in game kudos. If you want to send something with multiple lines, use the request tool. It would be great for me, because I hate the in game editor, but I also hate jumping out of my mud client to the website for small things.

With approval - idea is good.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I think it's perfect now. If you really think someone deserves a kudos. You'll take time out of your busy shedule to send them a kudos.
If you -really- want to. because I know how hard it can be to feel like "that guy's awesome. I'm gonna send him a kudos... later." - and never do it.
but if you -really- reeally want to. You'll do it.

but it would be more convenient to have an instant kudos, huh?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on February 26, 2010, 12:22:08 PM
I think it's perfect now. If you really think someone deserves a kudos. You'll take time out of your busy shedule to send them a kudos.
If you -really- want to. because I know how hard it can be to feel like "that guy's awesome. I'm gonna send him a kudos... later." - and never do it.
but if you -really- reeally want to. You'll do it.

but it would be more convenient to have an instant kudos, huh?

QFT. Fast food kudos doesn't seem like a good idea. Request tool Kudos makes it more special and lets staff review and note on account.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

It would be nice to tag someone this way, which then would show up in the request tool to elaborate on.

I am sure I'm not the only one that has received multiple kudos meant for other players.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I prefer the suggestion that an in-game kudos is sent into the request-tool automatically, that staff then have to look it over before forwarding so that it isn't automagickally sent to the player.  If that was the case, I could support this idea 100%.  As it is suggested, I can not.  Sorry.  Good job, Lizzie.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on February 26, 2010, 01:52:10 PM
I prefer the suggestion that an in-game kudos is sent into the request-tool automatically, that staff then have to look it over before forwarding so that it isn't automagickally sent to the player.  If that was the case, I could support this idea 100%.  As it is suggested, I can not.  Sorry.  Good job, Lizzie.

I think this would be good.  Alternately, all kudos go through as a batch over 12 days or something, giving staff time to review them.

February 26, 2010, 07:31:14 PM #16 Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:33:12 PM by jhunter
I'd be fine with it going directly to staff instead of to both staff and player but I'm not really sure what difference it makes. It would still be anonymous and as far as I know the staff doesn't look over kudos and -not- pass them on to the player they're intended for. So, if they aren't rejected and not passed along and staff gets to see what is being sent either way, and they are anonymous, I'm not really sure what the objection is exactly.

Spawnloser, perhaps you could elaborate as to what the difference is between it going only to staff first and then on to the player and it going to both staff and player at the same time?

Apparently I'm missing something. *shrugs* Oh, and I do not mean that the player -receives- the kudos in-game. I only mean that it is initiated in-game. It would still be received via mud email. (Just in case that's what the issue is.)

Too much coding for not enough payoff or reasoning. I think the system for giving kudos as it stands works just fine, as long as the player provides enough information about the party in question (Name, Sdesc). Also, the ease of doing it in game as opposed to taking time to use the request system allows for both self-regulated quality control and a lack of flooding. If it were truly as easy as >kudos figure That was a really funny line in the conversation we just had...It would diminish the effect of giving/recieving kudos and most likely not allow Staff to use the kudos you recieve when judging you for a sponsored role, karma review, and weigh against bad notes.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I would be a supporter of opening the in-game editor, and having it auto-email to mud@ or whomever handles kudos.

1. When I'm playing Arm, its time to play Arm, and I really have a hard time switching out to the request tool to write a kudos about something.

2. Often times, when I think "That player deserves a kudos", its in the heat of the moment, and I want to get it out there immediately. Similar to bios, I have a hard time writing them unless its something that -just- happened and I seem to have 10 minutes on my hand.

Retorts:

1. I don't think it would be more lending to the people in the OOC channels. If the kudos are not automatically sent to the other person, and still require staff review, this would be systematically no different from what we have now, only we wouldn't need to open up a browser window and go through a 7 step process.

2. In my opinion, making kudos easier and faster to get to as a player doesn't demean the value of the kudos one bit. There are some people, most especially me, who want to send a kudos each day. I even tried, as a way to be more positive, dedicating to sending out one kudos a week with status updates. Never got around to it. This is no fault of other players, who are deserving of the kudos, but rather mine for being lazy. Maybe an easier, faster system would get me to do it, but who knows.

tl;dr

I would support this type of change, but I agree with Reiloth that it may be too much extra coding for a very small benefit.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I like it, and I dont understand the problem. Make the kudos to be simply kudos. Not something that would go on players accounts or ... anywhere really. Just a way for one player to mention to 'another' player that they liked their scene. It does not grant recognition, because it doesnt offer any 'points' or 'karma' or whatever. It's just ... text. So ooc people could coordinate and send each other kudos like that and ... compliment each other to high moon, who cares? If anythig they can do that on msn or whatever.

When you kudos someone, you kudos "them" not the Imms, right? Right ?

Quote from: Riev on February 26, 2010, 10:05:47 PM

1. When I'm playing Arm, its time to play Arm, and I really have a hard time switching out to the request tool to write a kudos about something.

2. Often times, when I think "That player deserves a kudos", its in the heat of the moment, and I want to get it out there immediately. Similar to bios, I have a hard time writing them unless its something that -just- happened and I seem to have 10 minutes on my hand.

Retorts:

1. I don't think it would be more lending to the people in the OOC channels. If the kudos are not automatically sent to the other person, and still require staff review, this would be systematically no different from what we have now, only we wouldn't need to open up a browser window and go through a 7 step process.

2. In my opinion, making kudos easier and faster to get to as a player doesn't demean the value of the kudos one bit. There are some people, most especially me, who want to send a kudos each day. I even tried, as a way to be more positive, dedicating to sending out one kudos a week with status updates. Never got around to it. This is no fault of other players, who are deserving of the kudos, but rather mine for being lazy. Maybe an easier, faster system would get me to do it, but who knows.

These are exactly the reasons why I suggested it. I don't think I've ever sent a kudos to anyone even though quite a few players I've played with deserved it. Usually, when I log out of the game I check out the GDB or I'm done with Arm for the time being and don't want to stretch it out before moving on to other things. Had there been a way to send them along while I was logged in for "Arm time" then I would have probably sent out quite a few. But my "Arm time" consists of logged in time and GDB time. I'd like for request time to fit into "Arm time" so at the time it occurs to me that someone is playing very well, to the point that I truly appreciate it, I can spend some of the slow time after such experiences to send my kudos from within the game before I log out and am done with "Arm time".

From a staff perspective, a lot of the work behind kudos is in finding the person who the kudos is for, so in my mind this would help.  However, I question how useful it would be as outlined.  How often do you stop mid-scene and go, you know what, let me take 5 minutes and write up a kudos to someone and let them go on with out me?  This would require some kind of 'marker' system where you say 'I'd like to give Amos here a kudos later', and then when you have time you can review the list of people you said you want to send kudos to.  In my mind it would still have to go to the request tool for staff approval and delivery, so you guys are dead on there.

So while I think this would help staff help you guys, the work to add the 'marker' system would be a bit higher than just letting them enter the kudos mid-scene.  Not saying it won't happen (or that it will) but from a staff perspective it'd be nice to have this.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

In my opinion, there isn't enough space in the game buffer to write about why you liked the scene, within the game engine.

What might be better is to have a token system get created, exactly as Morgenes mentioned.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

So it would have to work something like this?

While the character is present:

>kudos amos

You've added Amos to your Kudos queue.

Later on, when the scene is over:

>kudos

Your list of kudos to write and send are:

1. Amos

>kudos 1

Then the text editor would open up for you to write the kudos for the targetted character and once completed would be passed on and out of your queue.

Why does the kudos have to go to the person? It should be treated as all others are treated. Sent to staff, editted for IC info, then forwarded into oblivion.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.