Remove clan boards when you leave the clan.

Started by Qzzrbl, November 29, 2009, 11:07:34 PM

Would it be in any way possible to make it to when you leave or join a clan, you're added to said clan board then and there?

Just thinkin' this would be one of those things that lessens staff workload a little and makes stuff more convenient and quick for players.

You would have to sync up your GDB with your Player Account.  Some people don't want that.  They want to join a clan with an alternative account.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Hmm, couldn't the player just sync up their game account to the alternate GDB account they use for clan boards then? And not to their general GDB account?

Maybe if it was something you could set via the login screen interface ...
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Is it possible to allow people to remove themselves from clan forums by themselves?  Joining still requires a request?  I don't know much about these BBS thingies.

Don't think you can leave on your own. But you can submit a request for it. Also, if staff are aware you died/left the clan they'll go ahead and remove you from the boards without the need for requesting it; in my experience.

... ... And they aren't doing that to be dicks, I don't think, probably just trying to save you the hassle.

Just added that in because right after character death folks (myself included) are mighty sensitive, and might often take being removed from a clan board so quickly as callous or mean spirited on the part of the staff, when it likely isn't.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

If we get an email from the game saying that "We're sorry your character just died!", the thought of sending in a request to be removed from a clan board is asinine.  Some part of the death email that goes out to players should go to a staffer who will then remove said PC's.

This is just a minor inconvenience, but it's stupid.

Quote from: Sephiroto on November 30, 2009, 03:38:30 AM
If we get an email from the game saying that "We're sorry your character just died!", the thought of sending in a request to be removed from a clan board is asinine.  Some part of the death email that goes out to players should go to a staffer who will then remove said PC's.

This is just a minor inconvenience, but it's stupid.
The automated "Condolences" email is possible because your character is, by default, connected to your game account, which is, also by default, connected to your email address.

There is no automatic connection anywhere to the GDB handle that you used for that character, nor to which GDB clan board they might have been using (and some players might have more than one).  So, no way to route such an automated email to the right staff person, nor any way to include the proper GDB handle in such an email.  Right now, we can't even automatically determine which of the hordes of always dying characters might need such a thing done for them.

It is a minor nuisance, but we haven't produced a better way, yet.

<immcom> Petoch for your thoughts?

Quote from: musashi on November 30, 2009, 03:18:28 AM
Don't think you can leave on your own. But you can submit a request for it. Also, if staff are aware you died/left the clan they'll go ahead and remove you from the boards without the need for requesting it; in my experience.

... ... And they aren't doing that to be dicks, I don't think, probably just trying to save you the hassle.

Just added that in because right after character death folks (myself included) are mighty sensitive, and might often take being removed from a clan board so quickly as callous or mean spirited on the part of the staff, when it likely isn't.

I remember once, a long time ago, it is possible to leave on your own by removing yourself from the GDB. What happened to that?
I ruin immershunz.

It went away with one of the more recent board upgrades. I'm not sure why.

I personally don't mind adding/removing people manually from the boards. It helps me to keep track of who is coming and going.