HRPT

Started by Bogre, November 15, 2009, 10:40:20 PM

I hope I get time to gank before I get kanked.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

I offer 10,000 sid to a player that does the following:
Be in a room with a visible imm
In the same room have many other PCs

Then...

Emote mudsex0rs <insert visible imms name here> l337ly.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

<worn on feet>     a pair of freshly-polished, fancy-schmancy dress boots

Bring it, y'all.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I plan on doing a lot of stupid things between now and then with my character. These things will put her in ridiculous situations, such that when the HRPT starts, she's nowhere near the action and don't even find out what happened til the following RL day.

Just like last time.

<sob>
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

<slung across back>   a chitin-bladed wyvern-headed battle staff
<worn on back>        a war saddle
<worn on legs>        an obsidian-studded leather codpiece
<worn on feet>        a feminine pair of black shoes
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Cutthroat on November 16, 2009, 11:11:33 AM
Quote from: Sandstone on November 16, 2009, 11:00:44 AM
Oh, I'm so looking forward to this. I have no clue what staff is planning but I so want this character's death to be as cool as the rest of her life. After all, we all have to go sometime. Better to brainzeating imms on an HRPT than to some NPC creature.

I hope I get time for a warcry before getting kanked.

I hope I get time to kank before getting ganked.
Just walk up to the resident F-me character and say, "(CREATURES) are attacking, we might not get another chance, take your pants off and bend over!"

The last time I was involved in an HRPT was the copper war.

Are you still unable to, "order followers kill PC" ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The major change made to NPCs after the Copper War was to make it so that units cannot attack individual PCs. Since then, the sort of insta-ganking that happened during that series of encounters has not been seen in RPTs. (However, we have also not had a major PCs with NPCs versus PCs with NPCs fight, either--all RPTs have been PCs with NPCs versus NPCs.)

It's possible to order some types of unit NPCs to attack PCs, in my experience. It is extremely frowned down upon and discouraged by the staff, as it should be.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on November 16, 2009, 03:00:53 PM
It's possible to order some types of unit NPCs to attack PCs, in my experience. It is extremely frowned down upon and discouraged by the staff, as it should be.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,20877.0.html

That is probably a bug, then, because the original staff announcement about the coded change seems pretty clear that this would apply to all units. If you know of particular units which are still able to do this, or certain circumstances which allow it, you might want to write to Morg about it.

November 16, 2009, 03:15:07 PM #60 Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:43:28 PM by Salt Merchant
It kind of makes units irrelevant then, doesn't it? In terms of generating outcomes.

They're just for show.

My suggestion would be for units to consist of a given number of soldiers. If ordered to attack an individual, a soldier is split off from the unit and a one-on-one battle starts. As units take damage, they diminish in numbers of soldiers. They could also be reconstituted, with NPC soldiers being ordered to join a unit. Templars could divide and build units as suits them.

Likewise, if a PC attacks a unit, one soldier is split off for a one-on-one battle. Rather than having a PC engage (and disarm  :D) an entire unit at a time.
Lunch makes me happy.

That sounds like it might be complicated to code, but it also sounds really kick ass.

On a sidenote:

I won't be attending the HRPT. Jerks. It's on -both- my mom -and- my sister's birthday. :(

Can't wait to see what comes of it, though.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Outcomes are never actually determined by NPCs, they are determined by PCs. What the change did is take away the ability for a single PC to determine the outcome of a full battle.

PCs can still engage units in combat, they just have to attack first. I've seen this happen often in RPTs (and done it myself); it's not necessarily fatal for the leader PCs who do it, who are usually the most badass of the warriors. Rather, it prevents units from being thrown at the defensively weakest of PCs--such as the mages, who often got insta-ganked during the Copper War.

Time to stock up on heal potions and recall scrolls.

Oh wait...

I can't make it.  Darn.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 16, 2009, 03:22:17 PM
PCs can still engage units in combat, they just have to attack first. I've seen this happen often in RPTs (and done it myself); it's not necessarily fatal for the leader PCs who do it, who are usually the most badass of the warriors. Rather, it prevents units from being thrown at the defensively weakest of PCs--such as the mages, who often got insta-ganked during the Copper War.

Even for the '1337 warriors, I'd be very wary of units and other NPCs coded to assist the unit you're attacking.  Guard is always safe.  Assist is always safe.  But I guess said warriors already know this. ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Someone's gotta lead the way, baby! And I couldn't let the Byn have all the fun ;) But yeah, like brytta says, caution is generally necessary.

Also, units can and will attack other units.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

If I see Nyr, Im attacking him!  :o
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on November 16, 2009, 04:28:37 PM
If I see Nyr, Im attacking him!  :o

It's pointless; Nyr is just a figment of your imagination.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I hope this HRPT lasts a few days so I can get in and steal peoples fingernails.

And no.

That's not IC info.

Guys, have you ever considered that this HRPT could just be one big party?

I mean, you never know.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Huge Raging Party Time?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: LauraMars on November 16, 2009, 05:50:30 PM
Guys, have you ever considered that this HRPT could just be one big party?

I mean, you never know.

Tek's 1,000th Birthday party, perhaps?

I still want to know if this will be geared more towards the evening time.  I hope hope hope it is, so I can actually attend.   Later the better too, I'm PST.