Consolidating Character's RP

Started by lussien, November 03, 2009, 09:34:16 AM

The problem with the "see which clans are active" idea is that the rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer, generally speaking.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: HunterKiller on November 08, 2009, 11:55:41 AM
I wonder if a mechanism should exist to allow an apping player to punch in their play times and have a list of recommended clans come up? I haven't thought about the best form that engine might take, whether it's something you can look up while apping (which some clans would be out of the question by then) or if it's something that could be posted to a webpage and researched before making that new character.

It's almost as easy to just see who you run into in-game over the course of a week. :)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 08, 2009, 03:14:31 PM
Quote from: HunterKiller on November 08, 2009, 11:55:41 AM
I wonder if a mechanism should exist to allow an apping player to punch in their play times and have a list of recommended clans come up? I haven't thought about the best form that engine might take, whether it's something you can look up while apping (which some clans would be out of the question by then) or if it's something that could be posted to a webpage and researched before making that new character.

It's almost as easy to just see who you run into in-game over the course of a week. :)

While it's easy enough to figure this information out through observation if you know what you're doing, yes, it can still be a bit of a pain for many reasons. For example, consider this hypothetical situation:

You're a die-hard Allanaki fan boy/girl. But after reading Tuluk's culture docs you want to roll up a Tuluki and decide to join a clan to help ease you into the Tuluki culture OOCly. So you roll up a crafter... just to find out that there are no active clans in your timezone who hire crafters.

Sucks, right? Even more so for the newbie. In addition, in-game observation has its limitations (ie. you won't get the full picture since your character can only be in one place at the same time, plus some characters rarely come out of their clan compounds or rarely tavern sit where you can observe them).

Having been an off-peaker all my Armageddon career (except during periods of no schooling and unemployment), I can tell you that HunterKiller's suggestion would be a huge help, especially for those months when I feel no inspiration to roll up a character (in part, due to my playtimes).

I think I see Synthesis' point, however as it is, off-peakers seem to already gravitate towards off-peak clans (or just roll up independent characters because they don't know where the hell all the off-peakers went). So, I don't see a huge difference asides from the convenience factor.

Y'know, the more I think about this suggestion the more I like it. Two thumbs up, man.

Oooh, I've got another wonder. When I tried to quit my game, it told me that my character was too excited to leave yet. What was that about?

Also I have a question about encumbrance, would it be alright/safe/no worries if I was around in the range of manageable or less? I'm the type of player which fusses if my character can't move/fight fast enough or last long enough when running from east to west, but I don't want to shortchange my character's armory protection.

A little insight if this post is allowed?
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Quote from: lussien on November 10, 2009, 10:57:51 AM
Oooh, I've got another wonder. When I tried to quit my game, it told me that my character was too excited to leave yet. What was that about?

The game won't let you quit too soon after mudsex.

Just kidding.  It's a timer after combat.

Quote from: lussien on November 10, 2009, 10:57:51 AMAlso I have a question about encumbrance, would it be alright/safe/no worries if I was around in the range of manageable or less?

Needless to say, the lower your encumbrance is, the better. Some changes went in last summer that put heavy combat penalties on people fighting while carrying a lot of weight. 'Heavy, but manageable' was mentioned by Morgenes in that post, but that could've been a random example.

It's a trade-off, really. Wearing heavy armor (or many varied pieces, if you're weak) will considerably reduce the damage you take. However, you lose the maneuverability that allows you to attack and dodge effectively. I personally aim for easily manageable or lower.

Thanks for the answers!
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Time to revive my old thread.

I've come to realize that, in a very short time that Half-elfs are very extremely hard to RP, but manging to pull off their RP, you receive a whole new dimension of RP. This is the very first time where I'm so into playing my PC very often, trying my best to be awake so that she could be pulled into plots or even interact.

Anyways, in a nutshell, half-elfs are kind of, the social rejects of a society, no? Like lone emo?

That's why I hardly see much around. What I want to know is how to develop more into that half elf and human personality to make the person. So far, my PC is hot blooded, has a temper as hot as fire. So I just want to hear how would you play your half elf or even speak of your experience of being an half elf so I can get a better idea on how to form my PC's RP and style. I want to make her realistic, I want to make people like, in a OOC point of view go "Wow, that is one awesome half elf RP personality and behaviour".

I have read the documentations and see that the half elf fits more to my playing style, it's like they're the torn in between. They want to belong, but one side might not accept them fully, most to the max is just admire or respect, but never favoured. I guess that's the running determination of a half elf, to be favoured and to be loved. Their traits make me think like they're rebels in their own right, just fighting for a place to be in/belong.

Is it reasonable for other PCs to have prejudice against a half elf? If so, why? If not why?

If you could tell me what is the most outstanding and realistic or even the most hurtful or tearful half elf drama/rp please post! I want to hear suggestions and opinions. I got so excited that I can actually picture her whole ending life right now. :D

Sorry for the craziness, lack of sleep. :)
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

January 05, 2010, 01:36:25 PM #58 Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:39:25 PM by spawnloser
Not all half-elves have to act like loner emo children.  Sure, they have a desire to be accepted and a desire to be independent that creates a conflict within them... but they don't have to revert to something so stereotypical and pathetic.  (Emo kids are pathetic.)

Suggestions:
  • When playing a half-elf, use the 'think' command extensively.  Have your character want and NOT want, at the same time, someone's attention... be picky about the type of attention you get, even if you don't have the character display such in emotes, because thinks are a much better way to explore your character's desires/wants/psychoses.
  • It is ABSOLUTELY appropriate for a half-elf to be prejudiced against by both humans and elves, even other half-elves.  To humans and elves, the half-elf is tainted by the other race's bloodline.  Other half-elves were also raised with prejudice and in case you didn't know, constant prejudice has a way of training even those that are the target of prejudice to react in expected ways.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I Love playing breeds. I find that the most aspect aspect of them is to really ay up the conflict of wanting to be accepted but also wanting to be indenpendent. Consantly trying to be welcomed into a group but still desiring to remain forever apart from it is usually the shaping factor for the half elves I play. 
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

So it's fine if I make my breed an angry hot tempered person, if the situation arises? Also, is it normal for a breed to like, want to isolate themselves if they feel like they're too 'into' something?

Like let's say A trusts my Breed and my Breed starts to feel much more insecure because she doesn't want A to see her fragile side, the kid side that just wants to belong. Would you RP with such a breed who is unpredictable and yet reliable at the same time, or even trust her with your life? I do understand about the elven tribe steadfast loyalty for the tribe, but will that sense of loyalty be so strong in a breed?
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

A well-played, hot-tempered breed is awesome. I've never tried playing the race myself, but one of these days...
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: lussien on January 05, 2010, 10:02:35 PM
So it's fine if I make my breed an angry hot tempered person, if the situation arises? Also, is it normal for a breed to like, want to isolate themselves if they feel like they're too 'into' something?

Like let's say A trusts my Breed and my Breed starts to feel much more insecure because she doesn't want A to see her fragile side, the kid side that just wants to belong. Would you RP with such a breed who is unpredictable and yet reliable at the same time, or even trust her with your life? I do understand about the elven tribe steadfast loyalty for the tribe, but will that sense of loyalty be so strong in a breed?

Yeah, one of the most awesome breeds ever* was extremely hot-tempered.

*Even though she did PK me for no reason whatsoever.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Half-elf roleplay

That's just one out of a lot of other threads regarding HE roleplay that's been discussed on the GDB. I'd recommend using the advanced search tool on the forum to track some of them down.

Players have different ways of viewing how their half-elf would react, but what's on the documentation for them is a good guideline to go off of. For the most part, I think half-elves can be seen more like the fresh-off-the-boat immigrant as a RL equivalent with a serious emotional problem. Some hide their emotions better than others. Others feed off of them.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

No matter what spin you decide to put on the racial psychology, it's a lot easier to stay true to the racial docs if you just naturally integrate them into your character's personality. Try not to look at "appropriate half-elf RP" and "my PC's personality" as separate entities.

For example, you said your PC is rather hot-headed. Rather than asking if that's appropriate, look at the documentation and see how you can use the half-elf psyche to back up the traits you want your character to have. What exactly is it that triggers your character's temper? Does it anger her when people harass her for being a half-elf, or is the anger reserved for people who try to get close to her? If it's both, which makes her angrier?

It's a lot easier for me to play by the racial docs when I use them to reinforce the personality I want the character to have. Hope that helps!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Fathi's a gud RP'er  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Here's a question though.

I've read some threads where you could complain about a player to the staff. Might I ask on what basis where such a issue will surface?
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Quote from: lussien on January 06, 2010, 06:06:05 AM

I've read some threads where you could complain about a player to the staff. Might I ask on what basis where such a issue will surface?

I would file a complaint if I witnessed...

• Someone abusing a bug or feature of the code to do something they should not be able to do.
  • Breakage of the consent rules for sex, torture, or rape in any form.
  • A player quitting out in the middle of a scene to avoid something unpleasant happening to their character, with no OOC warning.
  • People failing to take the virtual world into account in extreme ways. (Wishing up is often better for this than a complaint.)

This is just one player's opinion, but I don't really see myself as a self-appointed authority on other people's roleplay. I don't file complaints often; when I do, it's almost always for rule-breaking rather than poor RP.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I've only filed one complaint and it wasn't really a complaint. I wanted staff to give a player guidance on an issue I felt they had with RP. That's what the player complaint request is ultimately for. Instead of confronting the player and causing problems let the staff know and chances are the player will be far more receptive to criticism from them.

Also if someone is just being a jackass you can use it although I've only witnessed total jackassery once in this MUD.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on January 08, 2010, 11:59:50 AM

I've only filed one complaint and it wasn't really a complaint. I wanted staff to give a player guidance on an issue I felt they had with RP. That's what the player complaint request is ultimately for. Instead of confronting the player and causing problems let the staff know and chances are the player will be far more receptive to criticism from them.

Also if someone is just being a jackass you can use it although I've only witnessed total jackassery once in this MUD.

Keep in mind that if you think someone IG is being a total jackass to you, then chances are, you're right, and any complaint you have against them won't be given much thought.  Now, if you feel that it's gone beyond the realm of In Character and In Game, into OOC abuse and such, then the player complaint tool is a wonderful tool.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on January 08, 2010, 01:06:05 PM

Keep in mind that if you think someone IG is being a total jackass to you, then chances are, you're right, and any complaint you have against them won't be given much thought.  Now, if you feel that it's gone beyond the realm of In Character and In Game, into OOC abuse and such, then the player complaint tool is a wonderful tool.

Well aware of this :)
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I needa new character concept. Or a new kind of personality.

<--- RP persona blocked. D:

Any PC suggestions, that has not been played before or downright crazy, yet playable? Please stimulate me :D

Thanks!
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

January 16, 2010, 01:04:19 AM #72 Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:07:12 AM by HTX
Just about everything (with some rare exceptions) has been done before. If not in Armageddon, then in film or literature.

Therefore, as long as you're not doing something incredibly cheesy, stereotypical or clinche, I wouldn't bat an eyelash and I doubt anyone else would.

Anyway, I like coming up with a vague concept, before starting to flesh the personality out fully, so here's some random ideas I can think off the top of my head... (I may or may not add to the list later; they're only vague concepts, not fully fleshed out personalities, so you can build on the ideas and use your own creativity):

*Lazy. Okay, you might not gain much trust at first, or be given any important jobs if people know your character will never get it done. But I've always liked this personality flaw.

*Bully - sometimes, I feel it's a bit odd how well characters often get along in the game (with the exception of discrimination on the basis of race, mutations, birth location, socioeconomic class, etc.) Hell, I live in a nice, fluffy, well-developed country in real life and I often am confronted with more person-to-person conflict in reality than I am in this game. So be that misfit who just can't get along with people. Maybe they just can't stand people who have conflicting personalities, or maybe they're that immature idiot who loves making other people's lives hell just for the personal satisfaction.

*Arrogant - maybe your character thinks they're better than others. Well either way, they most definitely ACT like it.

*Achiever - your character isn't content with his/her place at the bottom of the social ladder. They may be highly manipulative and willing to do everything from assassination to bribes to lying to get that next promotion - or they may be a bumbling idiot. Either way, they're highly motivated to make something out of their life.

*Chatter-box - perhaps your character likes talking a lot of smack and is highly sarcastic. Or perhaps they have a never-ending stream of trivial comments and chatter.

*Idiotic - a total screw-up. Every time your character is ordered around, screw up intentionally (OOCly that is, ICly your character might just be unable to help screwing up).

*Aggressive. Maybe your character just can't resist a bar brawl. Maybe they're vindictive. Or perhaps passive-aggressive grudge-holders, who will go to great lengths to get revenge passively.

*Deep-thinker. And I don't necessarily mean a noble who has interests in philosophy (which raises the question: just how much has philosophy developed in Zalanthas?). Just an introvert, often content to ponder everything, from the mundane and trivial, to the more serious or "deep" questions. Just because your average Zalanthian is completely uneducated doesn't mean they can't THINK, though they might not have developed certain logical or critical thinking skills, I'd imagine. Sprinkle plenty of logical fallacies into your character's line of thought if they're uneducated, and it's not far-fetched.

Feel free to combine or experiment with different concepts. Slap on some personality flaws, strengths, likes, dislikes, tastes, habits, pet peeves, opinions/values. And bam, you already have a fairly developed character.

If all else fails... play an elf.

HTX, those are really great suggestions and types of flaws that can actually help develop a character.

I think I've developed my character naturally or maybe it's just my alter ego that seemed to seep into my PC. However, just a curiosity. I'm trying to play safe but I know it's more fun to take risks:

Let's say my PC is amorous and extremely flirtatious. She hold only regard to whom she can use and so she becomes extremely sexual with them(or something).

With other normal ordinary PCs, the personality seemed to work well and I made some friends, however, what about those of higher ups? The hard edged nobles and the cruel templars? What do you think they would do if a PC went to suggestively flirt with them? That's just my question, I do seriously want to preserve my PC, don't want her to die less than in a week.

Thanks if you can tell me, I've tried to make it as general as possible.
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Quote from: lussien on January 16, 2010, 03:46:08 AM
With other normal ordinary PCs, the personality seemed to work well and I made some friends, however, what about those of higher ups? The hard edged nobles and the cruel templars? What do you think they would do if a PC went to suggestively flirt with them? That's just my question, I do seriously want to preserve my PC, don't want her to die less than in a week.

Find out IC. The only way you can answer this question is by attempting to RP it out.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.