Consolidating Character's RP

Started by lussien, November 03, 2009, 09:34:16 AM

On the flip side, you will have a lot of rules and regulations to abide by, and consequences for not doing so.

You're also less free to move about the world and explore - it's a trade-off for a safer life.

Clanned life isn't for everyone, but it can be great for those who like some structure and solidarity.

Clanned life is certainly a tradeoff and there are things I tend to dislike about it. But especially for new players, clans are invaluable to getting into the game. They are also a great way to really learn the culture of the game; if you want to really understand Allanak, join the Byn or AoD or Oash or Tor...each will give you a slightly different perspective. Or in Tuluk, join the Legions or one of the noble houses to really learn the culture.

Of course, shadow has a high discovery / low teamwork score, and I have low discovery / high teamwork ;) Thus our basic perspectives on what is valuable and important to us differ significantly.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 04, 2009, 11:48:39 AM
Or in Tuluk, join the Legions or one of the noble houses to really learn the culture.

Of course, shadow has a high discovery / low teamwork score, and I have low discovery / high teamwork ;) Thus our basic perspectives on what is valuable and important to us differ significantly.

Did it. With shadow, actually. Still one of my favorite roles to date, and it really helped. I can still remember having to be OOCed about the syntax to sweep sawdust out of a certain room. :) If you like exploring, I would recommend a GMH hunter before the Byn, though, just because you have more ability to go outside and see the wilds.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

See, the problem the OP described was "I can't find anyone to play with." Joining a GMH, in my experience, is much less good as a vehicle for finding others to play with, unless the GMH has one or more leaders who are talented at rounding their people up for impromptu and scheduled clan events. In the Byn, you basically have no choice (assuming you're following the rules) but to be where you're supposed to be, at the time you're supposed to be there...just like everyone else. The Byn is probably the best clan in the whole game for getting consistent interaction. (Although, yes, it too can be spotty at times. C'est la guerre.)

But yes, it's also one of the most restrictive clans in the game. It's not necessarily great for explorer/discovery types all the time, but the problem the OP seems to currently have is not about discovery...it's about interaction.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yeah, it's just the interaction problem because I do tend to maybe one day bring my character to go out and skin desert animals and sell them for profit and getting my stats up. It's just the gamer side of me, I like to gather, collect stuff and sell it for gold to be used in times of emergency or pleasure. Also, I like to see my statistics increasing and skills getting more proficient.

So what I've learnt during my first few hours of playtime was, I've to spar with other people in order to not miss so much when I attack or use a skill.
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Lussien is clearly an Achiever-type gamer. Welcome to the dark side, young apprentice.

Also follow just about -everything- said here, even the stuff that conflicts. Having trouble interacting with other players can be a real bother, especially if you're off peak. I recently became offpeak (well, a year ago) when I got a new job. The one thing I can say about most off-peakers is, we're consistent. If I say I log in at this time every day, Chances are I am online at that time every day. It makes it easier to interact when you know who is around.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: lussien on November 04, 2009, 08:54:28 PM
Yeah, it's just the interaction problem because I do tend to maybe one day bring my character to go out and skin desert animals and sell them for profit and getting my stats up. It's just the gamer side of me, I like to gather, collect stuff and sell it for gold to be used in times of emergency or pleasure. Also, I like to see my statistics increasing and skills getting more proficient.

So what I've learnt during my first few hours of playtime was, I've to spar with other people in order to not miss so much when I attack or use a skill.

Just an FYI, if you are in a clan, most have rules against going out in the desert on your own to do that. Additionally, if you play during offpeak hours (like if you live outside of the US), you probably wont see as many people.

But all those restrictions are keeping me alive any how. Hahah. So I'm just glad that I do have some interaction even if it is minimal and slowly figuring out things on the mud. Speaking of which, yes, my character is clanned so there is a channel for interaction due to other wonderful PCs which makes logging on so worthwhile.
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Yeah. All those restrictions most clans have "No rinth, no leaving gates alone"

They keep you alive.

But!!! As a new player, I'm going to suggest you try making a desert explorer-type character as one of your first. Don't expect him to live long, and you might just have the time of your life. And learn a lot of really important things.

The wastes are awesome, and even some of the vet's don't know much about them.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 05, 2009, 11:02:50 AM
Yeah. All those restrictions most clans have "No rinth, no leaving gates alone"

They keep you alive.

But!!! As a new player, I'm going to suggest you try making a desert explorer-type character as one of your first. Don't expect him to live long, and you might just have the time of your life. And learn a lot of really important things.

The wastes are awesome, and even some of the vet's don't know much about them.

You learn more exponentially as you live longer (as a character). Trust me.

That sounds interesting, I might try one of those free roaming type once my current character had done her purposes. I'm much more concerned about increasing more statistics so I would be able to kill impending enemies or some such as since ArmMUD is not like the other muds that I play where you can pretty much guess if you're stronger than a mob. Which makes it exciting gameplay. :D
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Yeah, you can learn pretty much everything on the Known World map with a single ranger in less than 15 days' playing time.

The things on the map aren't really the things that are worth knowing, let's just put it that way.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

That's just so ridiculously negative Synthesis. For me, there are things "on the Known World map" that are majorly interesting. There are places I know exist, because I've heard about them IC, that are presumably on this "known world map" that I've never been to. Entire areas I haven't explored yet - things to climb up, things to fall down into, things to scale the side of, things to creep inside. All, supposedly, within the perimeter of what is considered "the known world." I mean shit, there are even apartments I haven't been in yet (believe it or not). I look forward to the discovery of each new thing I see. It's always at *least* a "huh..imagine that" moment. Even if it isn't always a "OMGWTF THIS IS KURAAAZY 4 REEL" moment.

Just because you're bored with things, just because you've "been there done that seen it all" doesn't mean it's boring for everyone. And just because I've seen something 100 times, doesn't mean the 101st time won't be at least an "interesting" experience. Maybe it is for you. But don't impose your blase attitude on everyone else. You certainly don't speak for me.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 05, 2009, 10:22:31 PM
That's just so ridiculously negative Synthesis. For me, there are things "on the Known World map" that are majorly interesting. There are places I know exist, because I've heard about them IC, that are presumably on this "known world map" that I've never been to. Entire areas I haven't explored yet - things to climb up, things to fall down into, things to scale the side of, things to creep inside. All, supposedly, within the perimeter of what is considered "the known world." I mean shit, there are even apartments I haven't been in yet (believe it or not). I look forward to the discovery of each new thing I see. It's always at *least* a "huh..imagine that" moment. Even if it isn't always a "OMGWTF THIS IS KURAAAZY 4 REEL" moment.

Just because you're bored with things, just because you've "been there done that seen it all" doesn't mean it's boring for everyone. And just because I've seen something 100 times, doesn't mean the 101st time won't be at least an "interesting" experience. Maybe it is for you. But don't impose your blase attitude on everyone else. You certainly don't speak for me.

You totally missed the point, Lizzie.

The things worth knowing are what other characters are doing, not what's on the map.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 05, 2009, 11:04:23 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on November 05, 2009, 10:22:31 PM

The things worth knowing are what other characters are doing, not what's on the map.

Good point. Still, the map's pretty gnarly, in my experience.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Synthesis on November 05, 2009, 11:04:23 PM

Unless she has a high "Explorer" percentage  :P
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I'm a High Achiever Gamer. ^_^

Oooh, I think I haven't asked about what kind of achievements you can do? So what can you do to achieve things(even minor ones)?

My character kind of messed up one chance for an achievement due to poorly coordinated combat output commands. :D

Is it because the way that Arm is created, all commands are stacked and sent through the server before returning an output at a delayed rate? Or is it because of my internet connection being over a huge pond?
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Quote from: lussien on November 06, 2009, 04:43:16 AM
I'm a High Achiever Gamer. ^_^

Oooh, I think I haven't asked about what kind of achievements you can do? So what can you do to achieve things(even minor ones)?

My character kind of messed up one chance for an achievement due to poorly coordinated combat output commands. :D

Is it because the way that Arm is created, all commands are stacked and sent through the server before returning an output at a delayed rate? Or is it because of my internet connection being over a huge pond?

There is a built in delay for most commands. Also, you can press 'stop' at any time to clear your command buffer.

I didn't miss the point at all. I just completely disagree with you. Exploring is a big part of the fun of Arm. If it wasn't intended to be, there'd only be one forest room, one city room, on grasslands room. Or maybe they wouldn't bother with areas at all. They'd tell you "all hunting critters are 2 rooms west" and let everyone take their shots. But they don't. They created the physical world of Zalanthas expressly for the purpose of exploring. And yeah I like exploring. Myst is one of my all-time favorite graphics games. I felt you were cheating the new player out of information that is up to -them- to decide if they want to check out, and not for -you- to decide to inform them isn't worth checking out.

As for combat stacking, I don't do it. I don't stack much of anything. I end up missing too much when I do. It's the explorer in me. And yes, I used to go spellunking when I was younger. You could go into the same cave 20 times, and discover something new the 21st.

omfg lizzie, you are so dramatic

Quote from: Synthesis on November 06, 2009, 05:28:44 PM
omfg lizzie, you are so dramatic

Yes, yes I am.
Maybe that's why I love to mud so much. I get to act.

Quote from: lussien on November 06, 2009, 04:43:16 AM

The obvious things which can be 'achieved' are skills, knowledge and money (just got to be careful to do these things in a realistic and in-character manner; sometimes, you just got to resist the urge to spam money-making activities). Other than that... it's a broad question. It's like asking "what can be achieved in the real world"? There's no set goals or objectives to the game, other than to roleplay out a character. What you can 'achieve' is completely up to you (with only a few limits set by the theme, realism, and the admins who run the game).

Get creative. Goals can be anything from discovering a lost city (gather a group together, grab a shovel, wander into the desert and see what happens), to building a thriving business, to simply finding enough coins to survive another day.

Of course, been an off-peaker may be a pain. As an Australian, I usually log in just after on-peak times (or just as on-peak times begin to end) so I feel your pain - however, the game can definitely be enjoyed by off-peakers. If you can find a clan populated by off-peakers, however, it's great.

But I also got to stress that been in a dead clan, or having your clan mates all play at a different time to you, sucks. Bad. This problem is amplified as an off-peaker (sitting in a barracks with no clan mates online and only 5-15 other players online, spread throughout the game world? Ouch).

If you want to join a clan, what I recommend is that you carefully observe who's around on the same time as you, and make note of their clans ("clan" by the way, is an OOC term to describe different groups in the game, whether they be a Noble House, Merchant House, a mercenary company, etc.). You can often tell which clan a character belongs to by the equipment they wear. Here is an unfinished guide on said equipment:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,36845.0.html

Obviously, you'll want to join a clan which has plenty of clan mates on at the same time as you, and, ideally, a clan leader also with the same playtimes (often clans have restrictions on leaving the gates without another person(s) of certain rank, so, it can kind of suck to be left out of some clan events due to your play times, too).

Once you figure out which clan you want, just ask around for someone who can recruit or hire you, then try and contact them through the Way.

Alternatively, sit at a bar, ask someone if anyone's hiring someone with your skills, and if "they're around this time of the week" (which is partially an OOC question: "Does said clan leader play during this time, or does s/he have different play times to me?")

As mentioned above, clans are not for everyone. Independents have a lot of freedom, spare time, no schedule to follow, but can, too, be very successful (or die a horrific death after living a life of poverty and misery!). But interaction may be less, unless you actively get out there and create plots and interaction (may be difficult for a newbie).

Clans, in my opinion, are often geared more towards socialites (eg. social roles such as aide or servant, or the Byn's tight-knit nature), however there's room for killers (for example, Kadius and Salarr hire hunters), explorers to an extent (well, you get to see the world as a hunter and sometimes as a mercenary, I guess, but a clan can also be an explorer's worst nightmare) and achievers to an extent (political roles such as aides/nobles/templars, the last two which are only given out to more experienced players through special application, however; additionally, you can move up the ranks). You seem to be more of an achiever than an explorer, correct? If so, maybe you would be interested in a clanned role as a crafter or soldier/merc... then move up through the ranks + there's also plenty of skill grinding involved in many clans which you might enjoy. Alternatively, you could play an indie trying to start their own mercenary company or merchant empire (if that doesn't involve a lot of achieving, I don't know what does).

Thanks for the long post, HTX. :D

I've seen the term 'indie', sorry for asking, but what does that mean?

And starting your own military academy or mercenary company sounds very appealing. :D I'll work towards that goal.
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Quote from: lussien on November 07, 2009, 01:59:50 AM
Thanks for the long post, HTX. :D

I've seen the term 'indie', sorry for asking, but what does that mean?

And starting your own military academy or mercenary company sounds very appealing. :D I'll work towards that goal.

It's means an independent AKA unclanned character.

I wonder if a mechanism should exist to allow an apping player to punch in their play times and have a list of recommended clans come up? I haven't thought about the best form that engine might take, whether it's something you can look up while apping (which some clans would be out of the question by then) or if it's something that could be posted to a webpage and researched before making that new character.

Most clans already do the tired (intentionally spelled) and true "Monthly roll call" threads on their boards, so the information is already being entered, just make it form-based and accessible to the outside world in a more filtered way.

In addition or instead of the above, maybe display a more focused list of clans for off-peakers to choose from so they have more of an idea of where off-peakers are recommended to go - if they want to be less isolated than normal. The list would strictly be informative and wouldn't limit them from picking other clans, but if they picked a different clan they'd know that most of the time they're going to be playing alone, at least with the current player-base.

All it would really take is to add a module in the account log in section on the website - You log in like you normally would, pick your clan (if the current engine doesn't know that already) and pick your typical play time ranges. An apping player could enter their play times and be sent to a statistics page. They couldn't see a specific user's play times, but they could see a general statistic page listing how many players share their play times as well as what the top three clans are that share those play times.

- HK
- HK