Vanth’s Guide to Playing a Kick-Ass Noble

Started by Vanth, October 24, 2009, 01:46:50 PM

October 24, 2009, 01:46:50 PM Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:00:58 AM by Nyr
If the attitude of the nobility could be described in a bumper sticker, it would be "He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins."  Toys can be belongings, minions, useful allies, great accomplishments, defeated enemies, etc. Your goal is to have more than the other guy.

Creating a Concept

Don't pigeonhole yourself too much into a certain type of character unless you're positive it's something you want to play every minute you're online. A lot of players decide to create elaborate concepts for noble characters that involve mental illness, addiction, mommy issues, etc.  Save the telenovela for when you get in-game and start creating your own. It will come much more naturally.

Do think of a few hobbies or interests your noble might have.  They can always develop new ones, but it helps to have something to hire others to help you with right off the bat.  If you're having trouble thinking of hobbies, think of what sorts of interests you might share with other nobles (making alliances through them, like playing golf in the corporate world), or a way to become renowned among your peers (for example, by authoring widely-read books), or a way to defeat more enemies (studying the use of poison), etc.

The First Hours in Game

Do not go shopping.  I know you have the equivalent of a bank heist in your pockets, but don't spend it.

The first thing you need is not more silk. The first thing you need is minions.

A newbie noble is a leader without any followers. Without followers, it's hard to get more followers. Without more followers, it's hard to do anything at all; the irony of nobility is that it is powerless without commoners and slaves.

Hire the first hirable person you meet, and don't be too picky about it, either.  Yes, I really mean that.  Obviously if you're an Oash you can't hire anyone with elven blood, and a Winrothol wouldn't hire a Nakki, but the first person who's even slightly acceptable should be on your payroll in some fashion.  Even if you're just hiring some 13 year old as a page to put out the word that you're hiring, or contracting with a hunter to bring you something from the wilderness, start doing something your first hours.

The only exception to this is if you're coming into a House that already has a PC noble in it. In that case, politely ask the other noble if you can borrow the services of his aide/top employee in finding yourself a number one minion. This means your first hire will almost certainly be a good one.

And even if the first person you hire is a double agent, or an idiot, or a liability, you can always get rid of them later.  As long as they bring in more minions, they will have served their purpose.

Using Your Minions

Every employee you have should be your spy.  If you have enough people reporting to you, even the most mundane things and snips of conversations, you can put things together and know what others are up to.  A good social noble makes people think they must be a mindbender (or a staff member) to know so much about everything that's going on.

Of course, the employees need a cover story, too.  Hunter, aide, guard, tailor, chef, whatever.  They should always be sources of information along with whatever else they do.

Pay your employees well, but not quickly. Don't give money to people upon hiring them, or you're just asking them to get bored and go die in the wild. Give them a goal and a day when they can expect their first pay, if they've performed to your satisfaction, and give them access to food and water if they're hungry or thirsty. People get bored when money comes too easily. Give bonuses for performance and you'll get performance.

If you want loyalty, establish rapport with each employee individually.  Make them feel unique by taking them aside when it comes time for them to report.  Praise can often go further than a 'sid bonus in encouraging hard work.  Let them feel like they know a little bit about what you're thinking and planning, without actually revealing all that you know. (but also read Advanced Strategy Tip 1)

But I want to Do Something ™!

By the time you have 2-3 minions, which should be plenty for a newer noble, you'll have met most of the other nobles, some merchant types, and an assortment of riffraff. By now your minions should be reporting back to you anything they hear about everyone else.  You should start looking for:
*What are the weaknesses of the other powerful people? Secret lovers, a nasty spice habit, connected to criminals, everyone has a secret. Find it and take note of it, but wait until you need something from them, before you exploit it.  Unless you need money, then you could try blackmail. Blackmail is sadly underused in Arm.
*Whose needs and ambitions match what you want, and might be fun to team up with?
*Who just annoys the everloving crap out of you and needs to stop breathing, pronto?

And there you have tools, "allies" and "enemies".  If that doesn't give you something to do, then you, sir or madam, need more murder, corruption, and betrayal in your diet.

I put allies and enemies in quote marks because you also shouldn't get too attached to thinking of people as only one or the other.  There are times when you should arrange a truce with your enemy, and times you should backstab your best friend.  Don't get into the mindset of thinking that you "can't" turn on someone.  If you've gotten to that point you're their loyal minion, see section above.

On the other hand, don't play too hard, too fast.  If your enemy is someone that has been around much longer than you, and is playing smart, you're not going to be able to mount a full frontal assault on them right away.  Full frontal assaults aren't what you should be going for in most cases, anyway.

Advanced Leadership/Strategy Tips

1. Being a leader is a lonely role.  It's best if you get used to it and don't try to become best buddies with your minions.  It's inappropriate ICly.  Your minions should be aware of the barrier between you and them, and should understand that while intelligent suggestions and ideas are welcome, democracy doesn't really exist in Zalanthas.

2. To use people effectively, you need to be able to interact well with them personally, but also analyze them impersonally. If you need a false rumor spread, you need to find a gossip.  Say you choose a young GMH agent who seems congenitally incapable of keeping his mouth closed.  Your intelligence network tells you that he drinks too much, is sleeping with one of his merchants, and that he loves to read and has an inquisitive mind. Your analysis of his character is that he won't spread a rumor unless he truly believes it himself, and he's no fool.  So you have a few options available to you, insofar as how you're going to "sell" this rumor to him.  You could drink with him, pretend to get drunk really fast, and 'spill' the rumor. You could have one of your minions also sleep with his merchant and 'spill' the rumor in pillow talk.  Or you could invite him over to your place, and leave him alone in a room with a book in a prominent spot that has the rumor written in it.

3. To avoid detection, you need to think ahead.  With the above example, you need to think about how not to get the rumor traced back to you.  The only way here is by using your minion and his minion as intermediaries.  How you do this depends on your analysis of the minions--is your minion loyal enough to be told that the rumor is false, is your minion subtle enough to drop the rumor without it seeming forced, is your minion likely to be subverted and turned against you by his minion, can your minion even get into his minion's pants or do you need to combine two of the strategies and have your minion get drunk with his minion? If you analyze people well, you have a better chance of predicting how they'll behave in a specific circumstance.

4. Don't put all your eggs in one basket--diversify, have a finger in every pie. Don't put all your trust in one ally or minion.  Don't base all your hopes on one plan, and be ready for people to do unexpected things (I talked about prediction, but they're still people, and people aren't always logical). Don't get so focused on one goal that you miss other opportunities. Some people play nobles with the single-mindedness of a dwarven focus, but what's wanted in a noble is multi-mindedness. You should eventually be working on multiple 'foci' which is why you shouldn't pigeonhole your concept too much at the start, because you may block yourself from picking up some interesting ambitions in the natural course of play.

5. Think beyond assassination.  With the enemy you know, you have intelligence, possibly moles in his/her camp, and you know about them and how they'll act.  If have them assassinated, you have to learn about someone new, who might be even more of a pain in the ass than the person you had assassinated. In some cases the risk will be worth it, but you might consider one or more of the following options: libel and defamation, knocking away their support, blackmail, theft, sabotage, scapegoating, provoking them into trouble with the law, stealing their minions and projects, biological warfare, etc.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I wish this guide had been out when I played my templar; I doubt I would've resorted to storing him.  Thanks, Vanth!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

October 24, 2009, 02:31:52 PM #2 Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:26:21 PM by The 4th Kankman
So ^this^ is what love feels like?

~ The 4th Kankman of the Armageddon

Quote from: The 4th Kankman on October 24, 2009, 02:31:52 PM
So ^this^ is what love feels like? :)

~ The 4th Kankman of the Armageddon

I'm not sure I follow. On a side note, however...

Quote from: The GDBThe 4th Kankman

The 4th Kankman now has four posts.  No more posting for you, son.
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Excellent, Vanth.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Why isn't this a super-sekrit document for noble eyes only, though?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on October 24, 2009, 07:24:57 PM

Because it can apply mostly to other leader-types beyond nobles?

Quote from: HTX on October 24, 2009, 07:27:12 PM

Seems a bit too IC to me. It opens a window on noble life I'd preferred to have remained mysterious.

Although I guess each noble house has its own sekrit clan documents.
Lunch makes me happy.

There's nothing in there that cannot be gleaned from the documents.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on October 24, 2009, 08:30:06 PM

Seems a bit too IC to me. It opens a window on noble life I'd preferred to have remained mysterious.

How is this not a consolidated article filled with generic, House-independent tips that have been passed around on the GDB plenty of times before without breaking rules?

Anyway, I think this guide also applies to templars and GMH people, to a certain extent, and it will hopefully help with the turnover rate that currently exists in sponsored app type roles.

Vanth is one of the guys who runs shit, if he wants to share it, your opinion matters not, no offense.  Way over your paygrade.

Quote from: Yam on October 24, 2009, 10:21:20 PM
She runs shit.
Show's you how much I question "her", I was so intimidated by "her" I always though "she" was a "he."

Quote from: Cerelum on October 24, 2009, 10:23:13 PM
She runs shit.
Show's you how much I question "her", I was so intimidated by "her" I always though "she" was a "he."

That's the way we bitches like to run things.  Under your radar.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

October 25, 2009, 12:12:01 AM #15 Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:19:25 AM by Salt Merchant
QuoteVanth is one of the guys who runs shit, if he wants to share it, your opinion matters not, no offense.  Way over your paygrade.

The staff is infallible, is it? No, just all-powerful within this context. Not the same thing.

I'm not afraid to post my opinions on the board. That's what it is for, after all. Do I expect my opinions to influence staff or players reading them? I've been posting long enough to know not really.

So my point is, I'll post anyway. I like to speak my mind.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Vanth on October 24, 2009, 11:48:13 PM
She runs shit.

Mission accomplished.

Quote from: Cerelum on October 25, 2009, 01:14:54 AM
Quote from: Vanth on October 24, 2009, 11:48:13 PM
She runs shit.

Mission accomplished.

Pix or it's not true ;)

The walkthrough was awesome. I wish it was up during a few of the noble applications -- I might have put in one myself.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Awesome guide, Vanth!

Quote from: Vanth on October 24, 2009, 01:46:50 PM

4. Don't put all your eggs in one basket--diversify, have a finger in every pie. Don't put all your trust in one ally or minion.  Don't base all your hopes on one plan, and be ready for people to do unexpected things (I talked about prediction, but they're still people, and people aren't always logical). Don't get so focused on one goal that you miss other opportunities. Some people play nobles with the single-mindedness of a dwarven focus, but what's wanted in a noble is multi-mindedness. You should eventually be working on multiple 'foci' which is why you shouldn't pigeonhole your concept too much at the start, because you may block yourself from picking up some interesting ambitions in the natural course of play.

This is, IMO, probably the best piece of advice in there.  Most of the complaints I have read from the players of nobles and other leaders on the GDB were that their "plan" failed or staff squashed their "idea." Why in the world would you have only one?

I would suggest running three strong, long term pliots/goals at all times.  If one fails, adapt it or move on to another.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Submit it as a document in the submissions area?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This guide is great and should be stickied or put on the website!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

this guide isn't just for nobles or GMH agents, this gave me idea's to make a minion pc more valuable.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 25, 2009, 08:58:25 AM
Awesome guide, Vanth!

Quote from: Vanth on October 24, 2009, 01:46:50 PM

4. Don't put all your eggs in one basket--diversify, have a finger in every pie. Don't put all your trust in one ally or minion.  Don't base all your hopes on one plan, and be ready for people to do unexpected things (I talked about prediction, but they're still people, and people aren't always logical). Don't get so focused on one goal that you miss other opportunities. Some people play nobles with the single-mindedness of a dwarven focus, but what's wanted in a noble is multi-mindedness. You should eventually be working on multiple 'foci' which is why you shouldn't pigeonhole your concept too much at the start, because you may block yourself from picking up some interesting ambitions in the natural course of play.

This is, IMO, probably the best piece of advice in there.  Most of the complaints I have read from the players of nobles and other leaders on the GDB were that their "plan" failed or staff squashed their "idea." Why in the world would you have only one?

I would suggest running three strong, long term pliots/goals at all times.  If one fails, adapt it or move on to another.

I do that with most of my characters, and you know what ... then I suddenly read posts about micro-managing Templars and stuff. Wah. This is how it's supposed to be, in my opinion. As long as you can actually handle this much content, arent sick of plotting (which ... happens), ... then plot.

There is nothing IC in this guide.  It is teaching someone how to think like a manipulative douche-bag instead of a rampaging gortok when playing a social character.  It can apply to any social role and not just nobles.  Edit:  In fact, I think we need more social people acting like the former and fewer acting like the rather, so I applaud this being public for everyone.

Good job, Vanth.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.