Linguist

Started by Kankfly, July 13, 2009, 09:31:44 AM

I'm not sure if it's been discussed before, if it has, I'm sorry for starting a new one.

I was just looking through the help docs on subguilds, and I noticed that the subguild Bard has a language boost. I'm wondering if the subguild Linguist has a language boost as well. Imo, it makes sense for someone who's well versed in several languages to be able to pick up other languages quickly. Just a thought.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Linguist Help File
Linguists know the three major humanoid languages: Allundean, Mirukkim, and Sirihish.

Because it doesn't mention anything specific about the rate of learning -- like the bard helpfile does -- I personally wouldn't count on it, although I do agree with you that the linguist subguild should have a bonus.  There's a plethora of ways to help your PC learn more quickly IG, though.  Have fun with that!
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Bard sub-guild characters don't get a boost to learning languages above and beyond what someone else with the same skills gets, iirc.  That text in the helpfile is telling you that they have an advantage because of another skill that they do get, but anyone else with that same skill has the same advantage.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Now I'm confused. Can't imagine what skill comes with the bard skill-set that has some kind of impact on languages.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 14, 2009, 05:25:13 AM
Bard sub-guild characters don't get a boost to learning languages above and beyond what someone else with the same skills gets, iirc.  That text in the helpfile is telling you that they have an advantage because of another skill that they do get, but anyone else with that same skill has the same advantage.

Whoa.  If that's the case, that's a very deceptive helpfile.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

July 14, 2009, 08:15:54 AM #5 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:19:48 AM by Cutthroat
Quote from: spawnloser on July 14, 2009, 05:25:13 AM
Bard sub-guild characters don't get a boost to learning languages above and beyond what someone else with the same skills gets, iirc.  That text in the helpfile is telling you that they have an advantage because of another skill that they do get, but anyone else with that same skill has the same advantage.

Since the documentation already alludes to said skill before mentioning language learning advantages, either:

1) you're right and the docs are deceptive about a language bonus.
2) you're wrong and there actually is a bonus to learning languages separate from that skill, however small it might be.

I'd like to think the documentation's correct, and it was written like that for a reason, and that the difference is hard to notice for a couple of reasons.

And if it's not correct, maybe a change to the documentation or the code should be considered.

I'm curious as to why this is information we learn under the table - through the grapevine. I don't think understanding which skill does what is going to turn us all into horrible powergaming twinks.
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

Having played 3 PCs with the bard subguild (or maybe 4, there's one I don't remember whether she was or not), all of whom were different main guilds, I believe that the help file documentation is correct.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Thing is, I played several subguild bards as well and never saw a difference.  My burglar/linguist picked up languages faster.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Personal experience doesn't really work for this, since there's a ton of factors that affect the speed of learning a language. Either subguild_bard plays its part in language learning or it doesn't, and that's not really something we can guess at accurately as players without access to the code.

July 14, 2009, 01:59:07 PM #10 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:58:25 PM by X-D
Picked up languages Spawn, as in appeared on the skill list or improved faster once you had them?

AFAIK, the odds of a language appearing on your skill list are the same for everyone. What happens after that on the other hand, is dependant on other factors.

I once had a HG/ranger/thug that in under 16 days played and only good wis (which as we all know is still horribly low) Had almost every known language on his list.Of course by day 28 he could understand a grand total of Sirihish and Tantlum.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

My linguist picked up accents and languages quickly.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Linguists and bards will both pick up languages and accents (somewhat more) quickly. The helpfiles are not deceptive.

Yay!
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Wow, that's great. I was just wondering why the help docs didn't say that. Thanks!
I ruin immershunz.

I once had a bard subguild. Someone around me spoke a three word sentence from a language I've never heard before and I branched that language from those three words. I've had a few linguists and they have never learned a fourth language.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I think the lesson from this thread is that trying to figure out the code from anecdotal evidence is often futile.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: flurry on July 15, 2009, 02:47:23 PM
I think the lesson from this thread is that trying to figure out the code from anecdotal evidence is often futile.

So. True.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: spawnloser on July 14, 2009, 01:20:16 PM
Thing is, I played several subguild bards as well and never saw a difference.  My burglar/linguist picked up languages faster.

Clearly, your bards were not cunning linguists.

That is all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 15, 2009, 03:40:19 PM
Quote from: spawnloser on July 14, 2009, 01:20:16 PM

Clearly, your bards were not cunning linguists.

That is all.

Hah.

All my whirans were blowjobs.
Wait.. Wrong thread
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one