Quitting the game in all city rooms

Started by Northlander, June 26, 2009, 09:23:02 AM

Quote from: LauraMars
I would love the addition of more quit rooms in the game.  It's always been my opinion that anybody should be able to quit anywhere. 

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 27, 2009, 05:59:40 PM
Quitting in random rooms inside the city is like quitting in the wilderness for rangers...

Would you -sleep- in the middle of caravan road right outside the Gaj?

No? Then you shouldn't be able to quit out in the middle of caravan road right outside the Gaj.

Wrong. Quitting out has nothing to do with your PC going to sleep. Quitting is OOC. Going to sleep is IC.

Have you ever seen someone log out in a tavern and emote leaving?

I want:
quit (Heading out into the street behind a group of mercenaries

It'd be nice if you could quit out in every room and the quit message varied based on room type.

City street:
The yuku-haired, quirri-eyed lass wanders off into the crowd.

Taverns:
The milling patrons of the tavern briefly obscure the numut-lashed large-groined man as he scours the tavern, looking for a table.

Apartments:
The mega-breasted tembo-eyed woman lays down for a nap.

Wilderness:
The rangy, peshek-haired youth disappears into the distance, moving slowly.

etc.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Or time affected ones.

The tall, muscular man heads to morning devotions.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 28, 2009, 02:56:13 PM
The tall, muscular man heads to morning devotions.

How do you know that's where he's going?

More quit rooms, inside and outside cities, would be great. I don't think I'd want every (or almost every) city room to be a quit room.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I don't think I'd like this.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

June 28, 2009, 10:13:12 PM #33 Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:32:02 PM by SMuz
It would be very useful for newbies, especially during the sandstorms. Newbies don't have any sense of where to go in Allanak or Red Storm, unlike the veterans who can spam walk into a quit room without seeing anything.

And if you want to talk about twinking, a lot of the current twinkishness is already on people who steal every coin and a waterskin from a link dead newbie who doesn't know where to quit.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

What are the reasons against an idea like this, again?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 28, 2009, 10:27:41 PM
What are the reasons against an idea like this, again?

I haven't fully thought through all of the pros and cons of the ability to quit -anywhere- within a city, but one reason that immediately comes to mine is player dilution.  Forcing players to quit in specific locations, especially social gathering centers like taverns, indirectly creates traffic lanes and player exposure -- it increases the likelihood of seeing other players if you frequent certain locations.

And this just currently "happens" naturally in-game, so it's difficult to really imagine what would be different if those indirect "benefits" were removed.  And I say "benefits" from the perspective of the game.  The forced exposure works against player dilution and further creates opportunities that you may not have been expecting or planning.

I enjoy sitting in taverns, knowing there will be a general ebb and flow of character traffic as players log in and out of the game.  So, while I don't see any harm in increasing the number of viable quit-safe locations, ideally placed in social gathering centers, I could see some potential harm to the game by making the entire city zone quit-safe.

-LoD

I don't think people are attracted to the taverns -because- there is a quit room.  I think the quit rooms in taverns are because people don't want to walk elsewhere, after they are done playing the game.

Consider World of Warcraft.  You can quit -anywhere-.  However, the most popular places to gather are at the bank, or at the gates of ironforge, or other areas that people can and do hang out at.  They naturally gather with themselves, despite having a world-wide quit area, rather than a 'quit in ironforge only' area.

I believe that ArmageddonMUD needs to have a shift in the ease of playability in the game, whether that be in the current game and/or the future game.

This is one feature that is expected in any current roleplaying game, and is an artifact leftover in the MUD realms that should be buried in the past, along with recall scrolls, death traps, levels, static npcs, and rooms unchanged in over a year.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Aside from Tuluk and sections of Allanak that are rarely used, there just isn't any place within a law-enforced city that's more than 20 seconds away from a quit-safe room.  I don't see what the problem is.

Hey, simply put, should a friend knock on my door I'm not looking to spend even ten seconds hitting 'n','e','n', 's'. I'd be more happy if I could simply leave my computer and know that the game would log my character out in ten minutes. I'd also be giddy with joy if I could type 'quit' and leave our game whenever I wanted, with a few restrictions - excitement. Wouldn't such freedom be a great load off our collective backs?

Some players see more quit rooms as an alternative. For the same reasons as above I would disagree, but more quit rooms would help. Within the cities I'm currently often beyond 60 seconds of a quit-safe room, worse if I'm on a mount. Cutting that down would rock. But why can't we just quit anywhere?

Smuz notes that this change would be useful for players who do not yet know their way around our maps. I agree!

LoD and Mansa make excellent points! Quit rooms concentrate players around the quit rooms, but gathering spots logical ICly are likely to see large traffic all the same.

Mansa also suggests an alternative: city-wide quitting with a 60-second waiting period. This would be awesome if we could get noting else. But why can't we just quit anywhere?