Tuluki caste tattoos

Started by Painted, June 06, 2003, 03:29:25 PM

Ok, I just requested and received my Tuluki caste tattoos.  Very cool indeed.  Anyhow, I got one on my neck that is a blue and purple inked band.  I looked pretty hard in the docs and I couldn't find what this one represents.  I just figure that since I have the caste tattoo, I should know what it means.  Any ideas?  :?

I do believe that the blue and purple inked band is simply one of the standard commoner tattoos, probably left out of the docs by a simple overlook.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Not sure it's this one specifically, but there are ringed markings that dictate you were born in the Tuluki area.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

That tattoo is, indeed, the tattoo common to all natives of the Gol Krathu (Tuluk and the surrounding areas).

It definitely should be added to the documentation. It looks like:

a blue and purple inked band
This long band stretches wide across the bearer's flesh, a colorful tone of
light purple making up the fill for the small wedges that follow all along the
tattoo's length.  Interspersed along the inking and set between every
purple marking, a simple blue crescent has been inked in.  Drawn with
painstaking care despite its simplicity, the banded design is comprised of
nothing more than a long series of the two lively and colorful shapes,
each one after the other.
ack to retirement for the school year.

note:

blue and purple -are- the colours of House Kadius.

just in case you didn't know.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Blue and purple are also in the caste tattoo of House Uaptal!

On Kadius' colors:

The swarthy commoners of Old Tuluk had similar tattoos, often done in web like patterns as I recall, and done in blue, purple and black.

House Kadius did get its start in Tuluk, so perhaps the chicken came first and House Kadius actually derived its colors from some of the standard colors in use in Tuluk at the time.  Just a wild theory though.

I do think that the use of purple and blue, along with black which was left out in the current version it seems, was probably widely used by the Tuluki populace in tattoos before Kadius ever picked their colors though.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

I wouldn't worry too much about colors, there are only so many to go around so there are bound to be overlaps.

You've got your three primary colors: Red, yellow, blue.

The three secondary colors; Purple, green, and orange.

The tritiary color: brown.

And then the three non-colors: Black, white and grey.

Just 10 basic colours to go around for dozens of noble houses, merchant houses, tribes and other notable organizations.  If you were really careful and each got two colors you could get, what?, 90 unique combinations?

Some combinations are innately less popular, orange isn't a popular color these days (probably due to '70s flashbacks) and think only one group uses orange as a house color.  On the other hand Red is comming out all over.  Two Allanaki noble houses seem to use just one color, and they both picked red. Ok, one of them is "red" and the other is "crimson" but those are both red, some poor Tor or Borsail servant decides to accessorize with white and he gets strung up for treason because he's now wearing rebel colors.  Blue shows up all over, sometimes it's disguised as something like "azure" but it's still blue.

I don't know how the heralds of yore managed it, the whole system seems fraught with peril to me.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

The Kadian Commoner caste tattoo is a purple ring.
The Uaptal Commoner caste tattoo is a purple and blue ring.
The Gol Krathu tattoo is a blue and purple inked band.

Don't confuse house colors with caste markings; there may, as above, be important distinctions that get blurred by careless assumptions.

I'm been working on a tattoo artist that will do the commoner markings, and I hope to have the rest of them added today. He's in the Red Sun Commons. I'm trying to make it so you can find out what the different markings by either referencing the name of the house or the number of the tattoo in the list, i.e. "talk uaptal" or "talk seven".

Quote from: "Bakha"That tattoo is, indeed, the tattoo common to all natives of the Gol Krathu (Tuluk and the surrounding areas).

It definitely should be added to the documentation. It looks like:
a blue and purple inked band
The original poster mentioned that this tattoo was placed on his neck, is this the default location for this tattoo (eg. commoner tattoo on back of the hands), or is there no standard location for it? I have recently started a character in Tuluk, and would not want him to have the tattoo applied inappropriately.

walking man

I -thought- that it was commonplace (see here) for the six/seven-pronged star to get inked on the back of the hands, the band around the neck, and the rest as custom dictated.  I've witnessed characters (both N/PC) who do not subscribe to this custom -- the star caste mark on face, neck, shoulder, wherever, and likewise with the band.

Can't help here outside of providing the above url.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Usually on the neck, though I seem to remember seeing a couple NPCs with the band on their shoulder. Tattooed on the neck is definitely a-ok though.

The tattoo for native residents of Gol Krathu can be on the throat, neck, or the shoulders.

The noble and commoner tattoos go on the hands (the six-pronged star for all commoners, and the House-colored seven-pronged star for nobles).

The slave tattoos always go on the left wrist.

Any other tattoos can go on any portion of the body, though there are customs for some organizations.
Vendyra