Silt skimmers and their crews

Started by Clearsighted, January 11, 2009, 12:12:33 AM

What is the extent of the knowledge about silt skimmers and their crews? There is a blurb about them in the Silt Horror entry about being stoic and secretive. Yet what else is there known about them? How do the skimmers even operate on the silt seas? What are they 'fishing' for out there? Are they based out of Red Storm or somewhere else?
I've always thought they were one of the more fascinating, if generally unexplored areas of the game. I'd love to see if I missed any documentation about them.

There used to be a time when one could actually visit a location, IG and purchase a skimmer of their own.  The cost was exorbitant, though so I never did hear of any independent owning one...Several stories of a certain (memorable) part of a well know organization, but they had a vast, rich network to draw from.

As for finding these things, nowadays, IG..I wouldn't count on it.  The location where the purchasing of said skimmers, eh.."changed management" as it were.  Find out details IG, or the history board.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

January 12, 2009, 12:24:11 AM #2 Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:25:58 AM by Incognito
You may still purchase Silt Skimmers IG, if you can find the correct House or NPC to sell them to you :) -- Again, FOIC.

Pale Horse is dead-on with his info, about the place which "changed managements" and used to sell skimmers earlier :)

However, I would like to think that that place was not the only place where one could get Silt Skimmers on Zalanthas.

Without spoiling any IC info - let me just put in a small hint - if you find a "dock" somewhere on the Sea of Silt, chances are there might be skimmers moored there, or someone who pilots/sells/rents them, or someone who might know how to make one, around there.

Caveat Emptor: You may also wish to try your luck with the "new management" and see how that goes ;)
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Really appreciate both responses. Is it too IC to wonder what actually the silt skimmers are used for ICly? Are they fishing for Silt Horrors or what...?

Your guess is as good as your PC's.

Maybe they're exploring. Maybe they're searching for silt-pearls. Maybe they're hunting animals native to the silt that you've never seen or heard of.

Mebbe they're muckin' about an' annoyin' th' Krath-burn' giants.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

im n ur siltz, looking for sarlackz
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

They hunt grue.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Seriously, this needs some sort of an imm answer.

I can't see "hunting horror" as a good answer because, as soon as you kill said horror, it's gonna sink into the silt. What now, cap'n?

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote05/15/2009: A new mineral deposit for the Silt Sea -- Shalooonsh
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

pretty sure this is a find out IC kinda thing. If your char isn't a 'leap before you look' type of guy, hire one that is to go out and see for  you. The skimmers are not prohibitively expensive for any well off character. and BOOM, instant-plot.

The documentation contains what there is to know about the Silt Sea.

That is that there are rumors of islands out there, and Giants.

This gives enough to create any of a number of speculative PCs. A well-to-do individual that wants to hunt a giant (with a score of people), an explorer, a treasure-hunter, a silt-horror hunter (with enough RP and Ropes, you can have an Imm give you that corpse I'm sure before it falls).

Everything else, because its not in the documentation, is find out IC.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Jenred on May 30, 2009, 11:01:56 AM
The documentation contains what there is to know about the Silt Sea.

That is that there are rumors of islands out there, and Giants.

This gives enough to create any of a number of speculative PCs. A well-to-do individual that wants to hunt a giant (with a score of people), an explorer, a treasure-hunter, a silt-horror hunter (with enough RP and Ropes, you can have an Imm give you that corpse I'm sure before it falls).

Everything else, because its not in the documentation, is find out IC.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Take in mind.... What actually has to be used to pilot said skimmers.    Reason why they are rare and hardly heard or talked about. 
nd god said "let there be light"
So well I bent over, let loose a big one and lit a match.
Want to hear how I helped god fill the oceans?

Quote from: Garrett6034 on August 19, 2009, 06:26:46 PM
Take in mind.... What actually has to be used to pilot said skimmers.

Balls?

This is by no means a definitive answer, but I would guess that people living in regions of the world where silt-skimmers are frequently used (i.e.. ports like Red Storm) would have frequent contact with Skimmer crew who were on shore leave.  People living further inland would likely be less exposed to the knowledge and lore associated with Skimmermanship.

Take it with a grain of salt, eh?

I didnt want to say what is used to pilot skimmers I dont know if its ic knowledge or not.

Skimmers have to have a certain Human with special powers to operate.   No not a elemental .. 

Said special humans I am talking about ( I am using the dark sun books) use their powers to move the ship and keep it working.   

Its been forever since I read the books. As I recall if that human dies the skimmer is dead too.     Without the pilot with said ability your screwed and cant go anywhere.  I think you simply sink, to tell you the truth.

I apologize if I said to much, just delete my comment.
nd god said "let there be light"
So well I bent over, let loose a big one and lit a match.
Want to hear how I helped god fill the oceans?

Quote from: Garrett6034 on August 20, 2009, 06:17:47 AM
I didnt want to say what is used to pilot skimmers I dont know if its ic knowledge or not.

Skimmers have to have a certain Human with special powers to operate.   No not a elemental .. 

Said special humans I am talking about ( I am using the dark sun books) use their powers to move the ship and keep it working.   

Its been forever since I read the books. As I recall if that human dies the skimmer is dead too.     Without the pilot with said ability your screwed and cant go anywhere.  I think you simply sink, to tell you the truth.

Zalanthas isn't Athas, isn't Dark Sun.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Garrett6034 on August 20, 2009, 06:17:47 AM

You haven't said too much.  The only thing a silt skimmer requires to operate is:

Quote from: Qzzrbl on August 19, 2009, 06:53:12 PM
Balls
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

In Zalanthas, a skimmer is an actual boat-like structure.

In Athas, a skimmer is a wagon-like structure with giant wheels, used to roll through the silt shallows.

In Athas, there are also flying boat-like structures (literally flying) that levitate along by means of a psionicist pilot.

Neither of these exist in Zalanthas.

I heard Tekutitlay makes all the silt skimmers in Zalanthas work.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

I had a (very recent) past character who briefly met a silt-pirate.  He was an...independent, I guess you'd say, operating, obviously out of Storm.  Had hired a first mate on his crew as well.  Had plans of exploring the infamous islands of the silt sea.  My character did some business with the captain and then left Storm when the business had been taken care of.  I've heard nothing of these pirates since... :o

Go to Red Storm. Look around. Ask around.

This can be answered ICly. And yes it's in-game if you have the balls.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.