Fighting with our long poles

Started by Chettaman, December 25, 2008, 12:07:48 AM

December 25, 2008, 12:07:48 AM Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 02:02:46 PM by Chettaman
I think their should be a code for pole-fighting.

Me and some other guy were hanging out when I brandished a long-pole in both hands I had just made. The guy got the same idea, I suppose and picked up a long-pole I dropped. Then...

> kill 'friend'
What are you going to do, bonk him on the head?

> bonk 'friend'
What?

It would of been nice to spar with poles.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Agreed.

Also, we should be able to measure each others poles, to see who has the longest.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I've done this before, but instead of dual-wielding it - You can just equip it in one hand and normal engage your opponent.

You'll be codedly using the pole in one hand and you'll be "hitting" (Punching) with your free hand.

For roleplaying purposes, you can simply just emote using the pole to hit at eachother.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

December 25, 2008, 12:29:02 AM #5 Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 03:51:31 AM by Olgaris
Think it's a coding issue with something being a crafting component as well as being a weapon. There is a few [removed by Olgaris] yet none of them are wieldable as an actual weapon.

But I agree, wooden poles for bonking
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

This thread delivers.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Majikal on December 25, 2008, 12:29:02 AM

Bonkin' on the noggin.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

December 25, 2008, 02:54:01 AM #9 Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 03:52:26 AM by Olgaris
Quote from: Majikal on December 25, 2008, 12:29:02 AM
Think it's a coding issue with something being a crafting component as well as being a weapon. There is a few [removed by Olgaris] yet none of them are wieldable as an actual weapon.

New Code: All crafting components can be used to 'bonk' one another with.  If you fail your 'bonk' it results in the unsavory 'whif' which gives you a defense nerf due to public humiliation involved.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I edited a couple posts in this threat because they contained IC information. Please do not put that kind of information on this board.

My pole is bigger and more deadly than yours.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Quote from: mansa on December 25, 2008, 12:14:16 AM
Agreed.

Also, we should be able to measure each others poles, to see who has the longest.

It's not the length but the thickness which makes the real damage.

I always thought it was your skill with the pole that was the most important.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Also, how much bonking you can do before your pole breaks.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Tsk Tsk... it's not the size of the pole it's the motion of the... Silt Sea.

>Craft pole into spear

There. Problem solved.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

What's the difference between a (weapon-worthy) pole and a staff?

P.S. There are already items in the game that are coded as weapons that you can also craft with, so this seems like a problem that could be resolved with the proper flags.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 28, 2008, 01:18:25 AM

P.S. There are already items in the game that are coded as weapons that you can also craft with, so this seems like a problem that could be resolved with the proper flags.
Staves are geriatric poles.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Makes me think of Rikus's fighting sticks.

I think they were called "singing" sticks.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 28, 2008, 01:18:25 AM

It could be some kind of hardening treatment.  An iron clad staff is unlikely, but one could be wrapped with a secondary material like leather, hardened in a fire, or . . . stuff.  A crafting pole is just a raw pole.  It could be turned into a spear or a broomstick, depending on what you do with it.

There is probably some (not coded) difference in what sticks you chose to make a weapon.  When choosing wood for a weapon, you would probably check carefully for flaws in the wood that could cause it to crack or shatter when struck.  Those kinds of imperfections aren't nearly as important in a broomstick, because it should never be subjected to that kind of force. 

A raw pole that hasn't been turned into anything may or may not have imperfections, and it probably hasn't been treated for strength and durability.  It won't have leather wrapped grips or other enhancements.  It is just lumber.  It is, effectively, a large dowel.

Of course in real life you can buy a large wooden dowel and hit someone with it.  In RL you can hit someone with almost any solid object.  But such improvised, imperfect weapons should do less damage, be less reliable for parrying, and be more prone to breaking than professionally made weapon.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins