Sap

Started by Greve, December 09, 2008, 06:38:38 AM

I think one of two things need to be done:

- Give the bludgeoning weapons skill to pickpockets

or

- Allow the use of the sap skill with any weapon that has a pommel

I'll agree that it does seem a little quirky when a character has a skill like sap but no blunt weapons ... or backstab but no piercing weapons.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I don't think you should be able to sap with other weapons, right out of the box at least.

It'd be pretty hard to explain sapping someone with a razor sharp shard of obsidian or something like that.

Though I wouldn't mind the ability to do so later on as one gets better at the skill, eventually getting to the point to where they can sap bare-handed.

I've never understood why one couldn't just punch someone in that lovely little reset button.

It can happen IRL.

I think you should be able to sap unarmed.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 09, 2008, 09:38:42 AM
I think you should be able to sap unarmed.
What like a Captain Kirk Karate Chop to the shoulder blade from the 1980s?

That doesn't work in real life.

JaRoD

More like slamming your fist into the back of someone's skull.

:)

Yes, pickpockets ought to have some bludgeoning-weapon skill to go along with their sap skill.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 09, 2008, 12:12:44 PM

Why would you want to do a silly thing like that?

I agree that pickpocket should have bludgeon, but there's a lot of things that should likely be changed about that class.  I suspect that the classes aren't going to see a lot of change till arm2.0, so I'd just keep it in mind during character creation and work with what you've got.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: jstorrie on December 09, 2008, 12:16:25 PM
Yes, pickpockets ought to have some bludgeoning-weapon skill to go along with their sap skill.

Special app it, sounds like a very simple tweak they could do to your pickpocket right outta chargen.

JaRoD

Quote from: staggerlee on December 09, 2008, 12:19:44 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 09, 2008, 12:12:44 PM

Why would you want to do a silly thing like that?

To make them go to sleep.

;)

Gee, I didn't know pickpockets got sap.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on December 09, 2008, 12:28:14 PM
Gee, I didn't know pickpockets got sap.

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?guild_pickpocket
Guild Pickpocket     (Character)

Pickpockets are masters of the art of stealing. They differ greatly from other thieves, such as burglars, in that the pickpocket's skill lies almost wholly in 'lifting' items directly from their victims.

Aside from stealing, a pickpocket's skills include some ability to climb walls, the knowledge of how to move silently in the city streets, and how to con merchants into giving lower prices than they intend to.

Some small skill with weapons is also a pickpocket's province. Expert pickpockets usually learn how to become unseen and how to listen to conversations going on nearby. Later on in their careers, pickpockets can learn how to effectively use a sap and knock their mark unconscious for removal of larger items, as well as silencing guards.

Typically, pickpockets work on their own, nicking whatever they can from targets passing by. However, some pickpockets can obtain contracts to steal specific items, and very good pickpockets can develop reputations which will earn them very highly paid contracts. Fortunate pickpockets are able to obtain permanent contracts with noble houses or even from templars.

See also:
    guilds
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Knowledge is power.

8)

If you're even thinking about getting into a fight as a pickpocket, you're doing it wrong.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I bug this all the time.

Quote from: Cerelum on December 09, 2008, 12:20:35 PM

Special app it, sounds like a very simple tweak they could do to your pickpocket right outta chargen.

JaRoD

A "very simple tweak" for a month+ application process seems a little absurd. I think they should start with this as well.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 12, 2008, 03:12:43 AM
Quote from: Cerelum on December 09, 2008, 12:20:35 PM

JaRoD

A "very simple tweak" for a month+ application process seems a little absurd. I think they should start with this as well.

Well yeah, but that's a whole nother thread about how special apps take entirely too long.

JaRoD