"Late in their career" and days played

Started by racingspider, November 19, 2008, 06:33:30 PM

Hi! I have a question about what constitutes "late" and even "middle" of a character's guild. My current character is my loooooongest living (by time invested - and days played) by a longshot... twice that of any other of my previous characters (who, through my own inner curriosity lends to an early demise).
Anyway, I was curious as what would be considered, newbie, green, trained, veteran, master...

This is assuming actually investing a fairly good portion of time into their trade - burglars burgling, rangers ranging, warriors... uh warrioring... etc.

Of course, its an abstract question, but would prove helpful I think, to my understanding of the character.

November 19, 2008, 06:42:52 PM #1 Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:48:25 PM by Gimfalisette
In my experience, for my mundane characters:

0 to 10 days played = newbie, teh suck, youngling, totally green
10 to 20 days played = journeyman, pretty well-trained in core abilities
20 to 50 days played = mastery of some core abilities
50+ = mastery of many core abilities and some extra stuff too

However, I'm somewhat of a slow skiller compared to many, due to heavy concentration on social RP, plots, and leadership in clans rather than on skill-building. (Logging in and not working on coded skills at all is not unusual for me in the least.)

Edited to add: I'd also say that my characters tend to live much longer than the average. In 8 characters my average lifespan is 3.6 real months and about 28 days played, with a range of 2 weeks to 10 months, and 4 days to 80+ days played. So don't necessarily take my experience as typical.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Gimf's example seems to match up pretty well with what I've experienced.

Give or take a day or three.

Holy newbie batman, I thought 5 days played was... more than bottom of the rung. lol.

Quote from: racingspider on November 19, 2008, 07:14:20 PM
Holy newbie batman, I thought 5 days played was... more than bottom of the rung. lol.

I had 6 playing days on my current character after a rl week. No WAY was she much improved from her starting status. :-D
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

It also depends on guild and natural aptness of your character. Some can go with heavy "training" for 30 playdays and still be considered not very good at their trade, while other characters (with different guilds and statistics) will rock the boat after 15 days.. And so on.

I don't think that time invested or played, lived or such really always reflects the raw skill and power of a character. There are many many ways to go about things, even for a warrior who can't really warrior - I guess he'll have to figure out an indirect warrior method. And those that do, will be conisdered masters at an earlier stage in their character life than others.

It's what I've witnessed.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

5-6 days played is perfectly respectable.

Unless you're playing a very social PC, and aren't just idling for long periods of time, 5-6 RL days worth of logged playing time can easily see you at a very respectable skill level without undue focus on skill notching. Are you a Bynner who is expected to spar most every morning, and have you been going to those sessions? Are you a hunter who likewise can realistically make one hunting trip most IC days and have been doing so? Are you a magicker who sits in their temple playing with themselves for five or six RL days worth of playing time?

If so, you can consider yourself perfectly seasoned by this point in your career.

Just be careful. Once you acquire any sort of authority or responsibility, your happy hunting days are over.

Quote from: Clearsighted on November 19, 2008, 07:30:24 PM
5-6 days played is perfectly respectable.

Unless you're playing a very social PC, and aren't just idling for long periods of time, 5-6 RL days worth of logged playing time can easily see you at a very respectable skill level without undue focus on skill notching. Are you a Bynner who is expected to spar most every morning, and have you been going to those sessions? Are you a hunter who likewise can realistically make one hunting trip most IC days and have been doing so? Are you a magicker who sits in their temple playing with themselves for five or six RL days worth of playing time?

If so, you can consider yourself perfectly seasoned by this point in your career.

Just be careful. Once you acquire any sort of authority or responsibility, your happy hunting days are over.

Ok, that's insightful and helpful too. I've been liking this character because of the political stuff and guild stuff they have been able to get into. I've kept quite active, but also RPing too.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 19, 2008, 06:42:52 PM
In my experience, for my mundane characters:

0 to 10 5 days played = newbie, teh suck, youngling, totally green
5 to 10 days played = novice; reasonably trained in most core skills, MAYBE working on a few new ones
10 to 20 days played = journeyman, pretty well-trained in core abilities
20 to 50 days played = mastery of some core abilities
50+ = mastery of many core abilities and some extra stuff too

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Though as has been noted, if you're playing a leader character -at least double- the figures given.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on November 19, 2008, 09:06:05 PM
Though as has been noted, if you're playing a leader character -at least double- the figures given.

Or a confirmed social character.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: tortall on November 19, 2008, 07:19:20 PM

I had 6 playing days on my current character after a rl week. No WAY was she much improved from her starting status. :-D

Jesus. Did you sleep much, or work at a job? I've never heard of someone going on a binge like that.

:o

Yeah ... seriously that's ... wow, get help  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Ammut on November 20, 2008, 03:43:44 AM

:o

And on the seventh day, tortall rested.

Gimf's breakdown seems pretty reasonable.  Of course it depends entirely on the character.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

That's true, 6 days played is -way- improved from when you first start. But the scale of early and late in a career, I would think would be highly dependent on how fast said character catches on to things, how much time they spend working, and the ratio of that to how much time they spend relaxing. When I play a clanned character, it, truthfully, usually takes me much longer for my skills to increase in general. That's in large part to the types of roles I've had in clans, like having a ranger that won't spar with a dummy, but will go out and actually hunt. But with indie characters, they tend to be more conscious of their lack of a safety net, so they'll do things like making extra coin to keep the rent paid in -way- advance, hoarding foodstuffs, and hoarding their materials if they're crafter-types. Too much can happen when you can't depend on anyone for help, so you have to plan in advance. Meh, then again, the longest-lasting character I've had was, I think, about 26 days played.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Gimf's levels are for overall, complete character development, as well. You can get very, very good in a single skill in a number of days.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I think I've gleaned from the GDB that you can fairly easily saturate your learning capability whilst binge-playing: a given amount of practice will gain your character more spread over several days than crammed into one.

Which makes sense.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I reject the notion that having more than twenty days played makes you l33t.

:-\

:-[

:-X

... I'm such a slacker.
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

I think I'd go along with Gimf's numbers. For magickers divide by 3.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

I branch within hours of gameplay if I have decent wisdom.

Whatever, I do what I want. Y'all don't know me. I do what I want.

*snaps his fingers sassily and walks out of the thread*
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I deleted a post from this topic that was, to be honest, blatantly rude and insulting. Moral judgements on other peoples RP are fine and good, just keep it to yourself. This is not a combat oriented game. There are no skill levels. Blasting someone for their method of RP is childish and in bad form.

Mekeda

Quote from: Malken on November 20, 2008, 11:59:34 AM
I branch within hours of gameplay if I have decent wisdom.

Whatever, I do what I want. Y'all don't know me. I do what I want.

*snaps his fingers sassily and walks out of the thread*

I just died
[/derail]

Gims numbers pretty much fit. A little slower if your like me and have odd playtimes. Sometimes I get burnt out on the solo and kinda idle. STFU You know you do it to.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

This depends on your class, your race, your stats, your play style, and your environment. Days played isn't really a useful metric; I'd instead 'rank' class progression based on what you can accomplish. If you can defeat monster X, for example, you're becoming an experienced warrior. If you can get away with crime Y, you're becoming an experienced shady. Etc.

Quote from: jstorrie on November 20, 2008, 03:07:05 PM
This depends on your class, your race, your stats, your play style, and your environment. Days played isn't really a useful metric; I'd instead 'rank' class progression based on what you can accomplish. If you can defeat monster X, for example, you're becoming an experienced warrior. If you can get away with crime Y, you're becoming an experienced shady. Etc.

That's a really good point. I've had some characters that could go up against <animal> right out of the box and whoop it's ass, other characters, same race and guild, different stats, got whooped by it even after several days played, and way worse than the other did at only a few hours played. But once you get to that second or third rung of what's out there, it's kinda a universal indicator. IMO.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.