RangerSneak!

Started by Anonymous, May 11, 2003, 05:54:08 AM

Okay, so my ranger has branched himself some sneak and hide. (Says that exceptional rangers do it in helpfiles, I'm assuming I'm not blowing any important information here). My hide seems to be working all right, given that's it's a totally new skill...I've had a few successes at least.
My sneak on the other hand...I've tried to sneak up on a few different types of game that normally haul ass when you walk in the room...now, I've tried this MANY MANY times, and had absolutely NO success. I've even taken off my helmet, and armor and attempted, even though I've hidden successfully wearing both. Still nada. I've chased something across the damn scrubs, sneaking room after room behind it..and it still runs every time. I'm wondering...are some things just damn near if not totally impossible to sneak up on? Does sneak have different success requirements than hide? Do I have to be naked and levitating to freakin' sneak or what?

You can only sneak up on well-to do player types in their dandy silks and trim waists with little yapping dogs tucked into their sleeves and colorful songbirds on the shoulders of their fine overjackets..

Hot_Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I don't think this is blowing anything important, since it was discussed in a thread awhile back, if I remember rightly.. if it is, please delete it..

Unfortunately, NPCs have this thing where they're always looking, and since sneak doesn't keep you hidden - just allows you to quietly approach - the way it's coded now, an NPC critter will see you and dash away immediately.

I wish you could sneak up on critters, too.

It is very possible to sneak up on things in the wild. Heck Ive done it.
The thing is this. They will 'look' occassionally. So if you do manage to sneak up on something Id suggest hiding soon, unless your attacking it right away. If you just sneak in, you might only have a few moments before they realize your there and run off into the sunset.

But sneak is also dependant on your weighted down status. People wearing a full set of chitin and obsidian armor with a pair of battle-axes strapped across their back will have a much harder time trying to sneak then someone in sandcloth and light leather wearing maybe a camouflague cloak (which might boost sneak and hide, thats for you to find out.)

Also, I heard weather can affect sneak. Itd be much easier to sneak up someone in a windy storm then in a silent, windless day when every step will make an audiable noise to your prey.

Hope that helps.

QuoteIt is very possible to sneak up on things in the wild. Heck Ive done it.
The thing is this. They will 'look' occassionally. So if you do manage to sneak up on something Id suggest hiding soon, unless your attacking it right away. If you just sneak in, you might only have a few moments before they realize your there and run off into the sunset.

Okay, well I'm talking immediate fleeing, as soon as I enter the room. No second delay, no any kind of delay...I sneak in, they bolt. Just like when you walk in. I've also tried hiding, sneaking in, hiding....but by the time I've gotten to the second hide, they're long gone anyway. I'd be fine if it were the case that you have to jump into a bush immediately upon sneaking into the room, but not even the sneak seems to be working whatsoever for me.

QuoteBut sneak is also dependant on your weighted down status. People wearing a full set of chitin and obsidian armor with a pair of battle-axes strapped across their back will have a much harder time trying to sneak then someone in sandcloth and light leather wearing maybe a camouflague cloak (which might boost sneak and hide, thats for you to find out.)

Well this is with easily managable encumbrance,  no helmet, no pack or shield on my back, leather sleeves/pants, a desert camouflaged cloak (if it helps), no helmet, and body armor that says that it's often employed by scouts and others for recon (I've also even tried without the body armor).  And on at least 30 attempts, I've not once managed to sneak into a room in the wilds without whatever I'm hunting bolting immediately.

QuoteUnfortunately, NPCs have this thing where they're always looking, and since sneak doesn't keep you hidden - just allows you to quietly approach - the way it's coded now, an NPC critter will see you and dash away immediately.

Is this true? If it is, I think that's rediculous. Like a way of penalizing the ranger version of sneak and hide over city versions, since many times assassins, etc are sneaking up on pc's, and at least for my ranger it's ALL been npc's.  I certainly understand looks about the area, even every few seconds...heck they ARE game, they're going to be alert...but have have it IMPOSSIBLE to sneak up on them? Am I just missing something? Doing something wrong? I WANTS ME THAT VESTRIC OVER THERE!  :twisted:

Heh.  :wink:  Well, for one thing, do pay attention to how appropriate camoflague may be for different environs.

And, I have to say, Jenred, you've been one lucky bastard or you've snuck up on the NPCs that -don't- autoflee, because, like our esteemed Guest here, I have never, ever, managed to sneak up on an auto-flee NPC without it bolting almost before I'm even in the room. And I've had a ranger that was very good at sneaking and hiding, too.

Or maybe I'm just cursed... sigh. I don't know.

Or you both had crappy sneak.  :)  I've snuck up on "auto-flee" critters before.  It's -not- easy, but it is absolutely possible.  And when you can do it, your sneak is pretty f'in good.

QuoteOr you both had crappy sneak.  I've snuck up on "auto-flee" critters before. It's -not- easy, but it is absolutely possible. And when you can do it, your sneak is pretty f'in good.

This has been recently? Okay, as long as it's possible I'm happy. I wasn't aware that there were different 'levels' of someing hearing you...you sneak into a room with a vestric and a newb PC. Vestric hears you and bolts, but newb doesn't notice a thing? Is that actually how it works? Does listen actually do more than just let you overhear the two elves talking shit about you in allundean at that table in the back of the room? Does listen actually give you a chance to hear someone sneak up when others can't, and vestric have like a 95% listen? Heh.

Listen DOES help detect sneaking. And I beleive scanning does as well. And I beleive it mentions it in the helpfile.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I have recently (w/i the past month or so) been able to "sneak" up on an auto-flee creature or two. And if my character that lacks a sneak skill, a hide skill, or anything that includes even a smidgen of subtlety can do it, chances are your wilderness savvy ranger will eventually be able to do it too.

Although I really have no idea how it has happened the few times it has, I mostly attributed it to gear that blends into the environment and sheer luck.

Well, in this case, I guess it's the whole 'practice makes perfect' thing..

Sort of glad to know I'm wrong, and it was just my character's sneak that sucked.. even though I'd have liked to think otherwise.  :wink:

As far as I know, it could've been a bug in the code that allowed it to happen.. I don't know.

At the time, my character was wearing fairly inconspicuous clothing, wearing colors that more or less matched the terrain he was on, and was mounted on a creature that could've easily blended.

I've heard in the past that ranger sneak isn't worth a damn when it comes to creatures auto-fleeing. More recently, though, I've heard (seen..) talk of rangers being able to manage it pretty well.

So maybe it's a newer addition to the code? Beats me.

Quote from: "Khorm"At the time, my character was wearing fairly inconspicuous clothing, wearing colors that more or less matched the terrain he was on, and was mounted on a creature that could've easily blended.

Sneak while mounted? Mmmm. That's not possible as far as I know. Perhaps the creatures you sneaked up on were tired anyway or something?

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

There is a chance that auto-flee creatures will not move when you move into the room, even when not sneaking.  They will just sit there, no messaging etc.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I've always took an auto-flee not fleeing as it having some lag instead of me:)

But I also think that it is not possible to sneak up on them and in the cases where people think they have it is only been said lag/glitch, having had many wilderness stealthy chars and having tried it over and over and over etc etc etc ad nauseum so on and so forth to no avail except for the random glitch, which happened weather sneaking or not.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'm sure we may sneak on auto-flee creatures.. I sneaked upon 'rynth rats and jozhals. I know sometimes you just success.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

QuoteI'm sure we may sneak on auto-flee creatures.. I sneaked upon 'rynth rats and jozhals. I know sometimes you just success.

Is this as a ranger? I'm aware assassins, other city guilds can do it just fine with auto-flee stuff in town...I'm wondering about vestric, not 'rynth rats.

Sorry, had to put in.. Its 'rinth not rynth.. Short for Labyrinth. Drop the laby and you got your 'rinth!

Okay, here's my next question then...

Does anything think the balance between city sneak and wilderness sneak is a bit...off?
I'm not even talking sneaking up on the auto-flee stuff (which I still haven't managed to do yet)...I'm talking about a SINGLE successful sneak. I don't think I've managed ONE yet....and it's not exactly a newly branched skill anymore..I've had practice.
I've also got a friend who has a ranger, bit farther along with the old skills than I am, and I haven't seen HIM actually pull off a SINGLE successful sneak either...and I even turned off my listen to make sure I just wasn't that badass...heh. But anyways, I've yet to see ANY ranger pull off a sneak....what's going on here?
We're talking easily managable encumbrance, no helm or body armor, all leather everything else, no pack.
This is starting to sound buggy to me.

If you think it is a buggy problem then you should wish up or mail the account. But as to the success of ranger sneak I would have to disagree on it never succeeding. I've played a few rangers who sneaked up on people, it will probably just take you a while to get good enough, mayby your dragging your kank behind? Which gives you away.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Unbalanced?  Oh dear god no!  I had to work a LONG time on my sneak to get it usable with sneaky city types.  Even after a couple days, I can still be seen entering a room.  It takes a lot of hard work and dedication if you want to use the sneaky parts of your character.  If you think it is imbalanced, then consider how I feel when my sneaky characters would enter a room and every damn ranger in the pub would turn to look at me.  I cant honestly say for sure on the creatures in the wild, but consider this:  Skills get better the more you practice, right?  So you arent the only ranger who has tried hunting that particular animal.  So has every other longshanks worth his sandcloth and leather boots!  So that animal probably has alot of experience getting sneaked up on.  It's just survival of the fittest.  The ones with the highest scan/listen have survived the most hunters, and will continue to do so.  The ones you can sneak up on are likely already dead.
 Now here is a thought...  When the animals get respawned, do they keep the skills at the levels they raised them to while they lived, or is it back to what they were at at the beginning?  If the former is the case, then its no wonder they all see you, theyre probably maxed.  Keep trying, and maybe your sneak will max above their scan.  Theyre animals, they cant be too bright.  Good Luck.
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Okay, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here.  There really isn't a problem with ranger sneak/hide as far as I know.  I played a ranger that didn't have a problem.  It may have to do with you simply being unlucky with the learning.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

To drag up an old thread here...

Okay, are you people *sure* there's nothing wrong with ranger sneak? I've now had this skill for *many* days playing time, practicing it a decent amount, and I've still not managed to sneak up on ANY npc beastie type. Nada. Nuthin. Not once. With a 20+ day ranger. Now I realize that wild animals should certainly be hard to catch off guard, but this is approaching rediculous. As my pc really has no need/desire to go around sneaking up on people in the wilds, it's made this skill virtually useless to me. All I want to do is sneak up on that fucking vestric!!!

And again, I've tried the whole hide/sneak into the next room, hide scenario, to no avail. Even approaching from two or even three rooms away in that fashion. Also nearly naked on several attempts.

*clings to the hope that one day he may actually kill something without his bow*

First of all, I can see from your response that you are going to have to learn the most important lesson in Arm - patience.  Another lesson - don't use foul language when you're angry, it makes you look silly and diminishes from any worthwhile point you're making.

As for why it isn't working, there's only one solution - keep working at it.  Though I have to wonder why in the world you are so frustrated over sneak while trying to use a bow.  You do realize that a Bow is a ranged weapon, do you?  You don't need to do any sneaking with the bow, except perhaps to read over the documents on archery again.

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/show_help?skill_archery

QuoteFirst of all, I can see from your response that you are going to have to learn the most important lesson in Arm - patience.

I'd say about 5 days playing time while heavily practicing the skill before reposting anything is patience.

QuoteAnother lesson - don't use foul language when you're angry, it makes you look silly and diminishes from any worthwhile point you're making.

Actually, I think it just shows my frustration...and I've seen plenty of other cursing on this GDB.

QuoteThough I have to wonder why in the world you are so frustrated over sneak while trying to use a bow. You do realize that a Bow is a ranged weapon, do you? You don't need to do any sneaking with the bow, except perhaps to read over the documents on archery again.

Ummm...yes, I'm aware that a bow is a ranged weapon. That's my point...the only way I can kill auto-flee mobs right now IS with my ranged weapon....