What age is it appropriate to start playing Arm?

Started by RogueGunslinger, June 29, 2008, 05:08:18 PM

What age would/did you let your child start playing Arm?

Below 10
1 (1.1%)
10-12
3 (3.3%)
13-15
26 (28.3%)
16-18
41 (44.6%)
19-21
12 (13%)
21+
2 (2.2%)
Any age
7 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 91

June 29, 2008, 05:08:18 PM Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:09:59 PM by RogueGunslinger
Just curious. I, personally, wouldn't let my kid play unless I though he was mentally mature enough to know what is going on. And, depending on how I want to raise my children, I'd ay that around age 14 or 15 is late enough. some players here have been playing since then, and I think it's about right.

Of course I wouldn't just let them play, I would sit down with them for the first couple weeks while they played, explaining things.

Edit: That's for my kids. I don't trust any of your idiot children to play with me.

I went with any age ... but only because I have sort of the same opinion you do. I wouldn't mind my child playing a game like Arm as long as they were mature enough to handle it ... whatever age that might end up being. (Likely, as you said, it would end up being somewhere in their mid-teens)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on June 29, 2008, 05:25:33 PM

Looks like I have to quit for seven more years... or like six years and two months.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I picked 16-18 because that's typically when people are getting a feel for the 'roleplaying' scene.

You'd be surprised to see how many articulate people are out there at only those ages.

Now, the question that should be asked:
"What age is it appropriate to STOP playing Arm?"
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on June 29, 2008, 06:04:06 PM
I picked 16-18 because that's typically when people are getting a feel for the 'roleplaying' scene.

You'd be surprised to see how many articulate people are out there at only those ages.

Now, the question that should be asked:
"What age is it appropriate to STOP playing Arm?"

Haha.. NEVER! YOU NEVER STOP PLAYING ARM! TIS YOUR DEATH WISH TO PLAY ARM!
Look at me! Cap Locks! I AM COOL!  ::)

I went with the 16 and above thoughts. Seeing as how gotta grasp roleplaying, the death, the sex, drugs, fighting, just maybe easier for a 16+ child.
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I started when I was 15.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Sure, I think you can start playing Arm at 15-17, but I don't think you'd get someone who enjoys the Full Monty until they were 20'ish.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 29, 2008, 06:38:27 PM
Sure, I think you can start playing Arm at 15-17, but I don't think you'd get someone who enjoys the Full Monty until they were 20'ish.

I don't think so.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I dunno.  Do you really want to have to explain what Mudsex is?   :P

Quote from: mansa on June 29, 2008, 06:31:02 PM
I started when I was 15.

And look how mansa turned out!

Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Started when I was 14.

And I had known what mudsex was for probably 2 years before that.

So there.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I said 19-21, but I kind of want to say something even older.
It has nothing to do with hiding it from kids, they've all seen sex, violence and swearing before. It's got more to do with me, and who I want to play with.

I want to play with emotionally mature players.

No offence kiddies.  ;)  I started young too.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I've been mudding since I was nine years old.

17-18 seems about right for the emotional maturity that is needed to play Armageddon to its fullest.

Text-gaming since I was 13.  Any smart cookie of that age knows what to avoid and what not to avoid.  I came late to the Arm game, when i was 24.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I have been Arm'ing since I was 12 years old. I only ever noticed that it made English class a breeze, and my typing class was a joke.

I dont really see any negatives.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

To be honest, most of you are jerks, and I don't really want my kid hanging out with y'all.

Actually I'm not really sure that most teenagers are able to really understand the necessary separation between IC and OOC. It takes quite a bit of maturity to be able to handle that aspect alone.

On the other hand, my son wants to go to a high school that has a special drama/theater program (it's highly-regarded program and very competitive to get in). So potentially, he could be ready for ARM much sooner than other kids his age.

However, you are all still jerks.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 30, 2008, 12:26:40 PM
To be honest, most of you are jerks, and I don't really want my kid hanging out with y'all.

Actually I'm not really sure that most teenagers are able to really understand the necessary separation between IC and OOC. It takes quite a bit of maturity to be able to handle that aspect alone.

On the other hand, my son wants to go to a high school that has a special drama/theater program (it's highly-regarded program and very competitive to get in). So potentially, he could be ready for ARM much sooner than other kids his age.

Come on...let him come play with a few of my PC's...I would prefer in the Byn...I will teach him the real meaning of life. *Evil Laugh*

Quote from: Desertman on June 30, 2008, 12:47:33 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 30, 2008, 12:26:40 PM

Come on...let him come play with a few of my PC's...I would prefer in the Byn...I will teach him the real meaning of life. *Evil Laugh*

If I knew about some of Desertman's characters when I was a kid, I would've aspired to grow up to be just like them. And I know I saw, "When I was a kid", but I really don't think I'll let age stop me this time.

Well, my little brother really wanted to start playing after watching me recently and he only turns 10 in august. He's having more trouble with typing fast enough and reading fast enough. His imagination and ability to really start getting into the game is just fine. He reads books and the likes and is really right into the game world, the issue being more his ability to spell quickly enough to keep up with other players.

I do worry a bit about the level of swearing and violence and what not, but then I watch him play any game on even gamecube and link is slaying hoardes of things with his sword.  And you'd just be lying to yourself if you think they didn't hear that kind of language all the time from the older kids at school. So.... might as well learn to type and read well while you're at it, no?
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: Dakkon Black on June 30, 2008, 01:59:59 PM
Well, my little brother really wanted to start playing after watching me recently and he only turns 10 in august. He's having more trouble with typing fast enough and reading fast enough. His imagination and ability to really start getting into the game is just fine. He reads books and the likes and is really right into the game world, the issue being more his ability to spell quickly enough to keep up with other players.

I do worry a bit about the level of swearing and violence and what not, but then I watch him play any game on even gamecube and link is slaying hoardes of things with his sword.  And you'd just be lying to yourself if you think they didn't hear that kind of language all the time from the older kids at school. So.... might as well learn to type and read well while you're at it, no?

Give my your sibling...I will train him!!!

Errrmm..

I mean, play nice characters with him, and stuff.

The amount of adults having virtual sexual relationships with minors on this mud is insane.

I'm surprised that this never caused any problems in the past, but you really can't expect a minor to tell you OOCly that no, he doesn't want to go for it because he's a minor.

To the guy who says he wants to let his 10 years old try out Armageddon, what are you going to do the first time some PC asks your little brother if he wants a quick fuck in the backroom for cheap?

Seeing as how you can't roleplay a boy or a girl for these reasons, can you really allow a young boy or a girl to play the game for the exact same reason?

Just food for thoughts here :)

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on June 30, 2008, 02:31:32 PM
The amount of adults having virtual sexual relationships with minors on this mud is insane.

I'm surprised that this never caused any problems in the past, but you really can't expect a minor to tell you OOCly that no, he doesn't want to go for it because he's a minor.

To the guy who says he wants to let his 10 years old try out Armageddon, what are you going to do the first time some PC asks your little brother if he wants a quick fuck in the backroom for cheap?

Seeing as how you can't roleplay a boy or a girl for these reasons, can you really allow a young boy or a girl to play the game for the exact same reason?

Just food for thoughts here :)

I don't believe that's why they disallowed young characters.  It had more to do with the setting and the way roleplayers tend to depict young characters.

As far as the content of the game, it is a mature game intended for adults.  It would be up to the individual parent to decide whether the game is something they want their children exposed to.

However, and more importantly I think, I don't have any faith what so ever in the ability of your average ten year old to depict an adult character or even know how adults behave.   I find it massively jarring to play with incredibly new or young players, which isn't to say that I don't try to help them out, but I don't really believe that anyone that young will ever "get it" or be able to play the game as intended.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

If I had kids, I'd let them start playing muds at any age.  Some muds are really age friendly.  For Arm, I'd prefer them to be mature enough to understand the concept of roleplaying, and the content, but that depends on the kid, more than the kid's age.  But probably teens, at the least.

I'd rather have them doing something like Arm or other muds, that I know and understand, and can supervise, than either doing it behind my back, doing other age inappropriate things on the internet, or doing stupid things with their friends.  The kind of stupid things I used to do as a kid would put fear in me, if I had a kid that was doing them.
That's the kind of wooley-headed liberal thinking that leads to being eaten.