You fall three feet and have an inexplicable accident!

Started by Greve, November 21, 2007, 02:48:27 AM

How is it nonsense to have a good chance to knock yourself out when you fall?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

You would need to consider the severety of the climb. Are you scaling the wall of a 2-storey building? Is there anything on the description saying that the building has easy foot and handholds, making the climb no more difficult than a ladder?

Is it a sheer cliff 50 feet up in the air? Or just as difficult - a sheer cliff 50 feet -down- from where you are standing?

Do you have a couple of months experience climbing? Do you have the appropriate equipment to climb? Maybe a rope with hooks on one end, sturdy boots with ankle support and toe-grips? Or are you just pretending you are the Zalanthan version of Spiderman, and assuming you can just zoom up buildings by sheer willpower alone?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Jstorrie has it right. It's that one particular room in the game that drives me most nuts. I've...fallen off a thirty foot balcony, been pitched into the air by a wave and landed on sand head-first. Been clobbered in the back of the neck by a pair of fists. Knocked my head on concrete more times than I can count by tripping.

-Never- have I been knocked unconscious in real life. But this one rubble-strewn room you walk through is death incarnate. Just not fond of the fall on your neck and lose consciousness. You're more likely to be badly hurt than lose consciousness in a terrible fall, seems the opposite in zalanthas.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

That room is a deathtrap. My, at the time, 60 day assassin fell on his neck twice there in the space of one day. About the only two times I really was glad the 'rinth was completely uninhabited during Euro daytimes.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

November 21, 2007, 11:29:11 AM #6 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:36:50 AM by Greve

It's November...  as christmas lights go up you'll see exactly how realisitic it is to become bady hurt by falling just a few feet.

Besides, if there is rubble that probably means you're landing on top of rubble and god-knows what...  maybe one little stone pushed a pressure point.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

You know, last time I got really drunk I think that happened to me.

Anyhow, I just wanted to point out that maybe this should be thought about in terms of playability and not realism.   I don't necessarily see a huge problem with it, but that's just me.

I'd rather take 100 stun than have a broken leg, and I'd rather take stun than hp damage, which seems to be where this conversation is leading.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

You try to climb up but slip, you may not be falling from a foot up, you may be falling from ten feet up, and people get knocked out from less. I had a sneaky character that kept falling and getting knocked out 50% of the time at that spot (strength poor, agility exeptional). Just roll with it.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Taking a possibly unrealistic knockout blow is probably better than taking a very realistic broken ankle or leg, which is easy to do even from a stepladder.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

If I can fall five feet from the monkey bars and break my elbow, then slip on some ice and fall three feet or so, breaking the other, I think it's something of a blessing to fall the equivalent of a story or even ten feet and only get knocked unconscious.

Annoying as hell?  You bet it is.  But I'd rather have to wait out the time needed to come back around (yes, worrying all the while about someone/mob coming in and ending my character's life), then have to deal with the time required to heal a broken limb, and the possibilities of permanent damage done to your bone (as is the case of my right elbow).
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

So if your character falls badly enough to be knocked unconscious, you roleplay it to the extent of being fine once they wake up?

I don't know if I, living in a supposedly extremely deadly desert world with people around every corner wanting to harm you, would prefer to be rendered unconscious for hours over spraining an ankle or breaking an arm.

I think the question is whether it's reasonable that an average person who messes up while climbing upwards, even if it's a five foot fence, pretty much always gets knocked out. Especially considering the fact that they'd probably make it through a three room fall if they fell the "conventional" way.

Quote from: "BuNutzCola"Jstorrie has it right. It's that one particular room in the game that drives me most nuts. I've...fallen off a thirty foot balcony, been pitched into the air by a wave and landed on sand head-first. Been clobbered in the back of the neck by a pair of fists. Knocked my head on concrete more times than I can count by tripping.

Sounds like life has been pretty rough on you..
some of my posts are serious stuff

QuoteIf I can fall five feet from the monkey bars and break my elbow, then slip on some ice and fall three feet or so, breaking the other, I think it's something of a blessing to fall the equivalent of a story or even ten feet and only get knocked unconscious.

What are you? Mr. Glass?
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

November 21, 2007, 04:42:27 PM #15 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:36:05 AM by Greve

You're falling onto rubble, from a height. Just roll with it meant RP it out and stop complaining. We've all been there.

November 21, 2007, 05:14:30 PM #17 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:35:46 AM by Greve

First of all, not every fall bears the same consequences. You do not lose 100+ stun everytime you fall. Secondly, yes, it is unrealistic that it does not more accurately reflect what you are actually falling on, or the distance that you are falling.

But thirdly, and most importantly, your attittude is really smothering your concern. Calm down some. We'll likely get better fall code in ARM2. Shoot, we might get better code in this version, but it's not as likely when you bring up the topic be being angry.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Okay, I agree with you on the falling climbing something versus falling from the top. I also don't think that people go unconscious all the time, unless they are -extremely- unlucky.

I don't know how the code works, but I'm assuming that it is rolled out.

November 21, 2007, 05:25:11 PM #20 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:35:07 AM by Greve

Quote from: "Greve"I've never seen it deal less than 90 stun damage, and it usually deals around 100. It can also do 120.

Well that's weird, I think. Maybe it has something to do with where exactly it's happening or your present characters stats. Was it the same on previous characters?

If not, maybe it's a bug?? I dunno, not around long enough to give good opinions.

Whoa.

Given your example, I suddenly see your mote of anger.

I'm really, really sure that's a bug. You should only lose stamina in those situations. Falling from room to room is the only reason you should ever lose stun or hp.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

November 21, 2007, 05:37:19 PM #23 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:34:42 AM by Greve

November 21, 2007, 05:40:27 PM #24 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:34:49 AM by Greve