Vowel-altered profanity

Started by Salt Merchant, November 05, 2007, 04:09:46 PM

How do you as a player feel about vowel-altered profanity like shet and feck?

I hate it. Stop it!
12 (17.4%)
I don't like it very much.
10 (14.5%)
I don't care/I don't have an opinion.
12 (17.4%)
I'm okay with it.
17 (24.6%)
It adds welcome spice to roleplay.
18 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: November 10, 2007, 04:09:46 PM

Some people seem to detest adaptations of common swear words, producing things like "shet" and "feck" or "fekk".

Let's plump the depths of the discontent here.
Lunch makes me happy.

I don't care, though I have difficulty reacting to it as though it were as foul as real swearing, and suspect most others do too.

Hate them, just seem silly.

And have no backing IG, like What exactly is Shet? Plus, no OOC backing, so, simply carries no weight with the player making it more work to react like its a real swear word. Sorry, just cannot react to somebody saying kankfecker...Kankfucker on the other hand.

And just makes the world less harsh...I mean, Supposed to be a harsh world, why soften up the grittiness...specialy considering its a text based game...like adding pink bunnies to the picture.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I say, if your character is prone to utter profanities, then go for it. Spell the damned word out. In some games, the admins have actual policies against profanities. But those policies don't exist in Armageddon so I see no reason to type "fek" when I mean "fuck."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Zalanthas is really New Zealand.

Are ya injoyen yoursilf in 'nak ye piece o' shet kunkfecker?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I don't really have an opinion, but IG, I attribute them saying "shet" as "shit" with an accent.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I used to hate them.

But now I love them for some reason.

Fek is better then fook.
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

They're just part of an accent, to me.

Some people ask ye if y'wanna go t'th'Barrel fer a swig o' ale.

Some people just call you a kank-feckin' piece of shet.

Same thing.
she said slow down this train
slow down the iron that runs in my veins

I always assumed people doing that were doing it to add to their PC's accent, not circumvent actually cursing.

'Feck' is an interesting case, because I have seen it used so often by hardly anyone other than 'Rinthi PCs, that I have come to associate it with that accent. It's very jarring to me to see a southsider or a Tuluki bust out with 'feck' and 'fecker' because I so strongly associate it with the 'Rinth.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Slightly lame, but not so much that I'd rag on people for it.

It's weird for me, if I'm cursing AT someone I will go ahead and freely tell them to fuck off. If I'm cursing for flavor, I tend to use the Zalanthan Feck, or sometimes Fack. Never used shet, because it sounds retarded, and I always imagine it pronounced in spanish, which is probably retarded on my part.

Personally, I hear feck -far- more often than I hear fuck in-game.

Shet is ridiculous and I've thankfully never seen it used.  If you're looking for the feck equivalent to shit I would suggest using shite.

For shet and feck, I just assume it's an accent thing. I had a character that said feck instead of fuck before. It was just the accent; the two words had the same meaning for him.

I don't have a preference either way, though.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

I would use feck and fuck, shit and shite equally in real life. So I use them equally in Arm. That's just my dialect.
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

I don't give much about it but then I do not understand why it is so hard to throw a "Fuck" or a "Shit" so that people go around funny ways.

If it is an accent of the PC though, then it is slightly more understandable.

But remember though, my characters never, ever swear.  Honest.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I hate it. Stop, you fuckers.

If you're going to cuss, cuss. I like 'Krath' and 'Drov' and shit like that, but the fecks and shets and stuff ... nah. Drop that mess.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

i don't think cuss words need to have the same force as they do in real life.

so vowel changes are great, in my opinion. I'm here to roleplay, how a cuss word impacts me is unimportant to how i play. in fact, the less the cussword impacts me, the better, so that i can stay truer to my character.

I use different versions of curse words depending on the accent of my character.

One pc in particular used "fuggin'" for "fuckin'", or sometimes "shat" for "shit". It's just variants of the actual words.

Meh. Who cares.

Feck ye I won't do what ye tell me!
Feck ye I won't do what ye tell me!
Feck ye I won't do what ye tell me, mothakanker!!!

I can't help but see feck as the wussified version of fuck.  It is like saying "god darn it!" instead of saying "god damn it!"  One sounds like you meant it, the other sounds like Ned Flanders.  To each their own, but I can't help but hear/read feck and shet as mild exclamations rather than the real deal.

Quote from: "Rindan"To each their own, but I can't help but hear/read feck and shet as mild exclamations rather than the real deal.

Sometimes you want the real deal and sometimes you just want a mild exclamation.

I use both, according to my mood.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Feck is more comical.
Fuck is more serious.

So, what's the general consensus here folks?

If you use 'fuck' you rock, and if you use 'feck' you're a pussy?

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
If you use 'fuck' you rock, and if you use 'feck' you're a pussy?
Or a dwarf. (Not that dwarves are pussies, but ALL dwarves are also scottish.)