Magickers Until the End of Time

Started by Bebop, September 27, 2007, 03:13:31 PM

Would you give up karma to support a more mundane world till the end of the game?

Yes I would given the conditions in the original poster's post.
8 (14%)
Yes I would given any conditions.
23 (40.4%)
No, I wouldn't under the conditions in the original poster's post.
26 (45.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: September 27, 2007, 03:13:31 PM

Vanth posed a question.

Okay so, to many magickers we no likey.  Would you be willing to give up your karma if it meant everyone else had to give up theirs as well?

I would (I have up to Krathi myself) - I totally would.  On two conditions:

1) Magickers were special app only (until the end of the game) and only even considered by those that had already had the karma.  Before it was turned off (not docked).

2) Special apps were responded to in no less than two weeks.

Mundanes FTW.

Damnit I SUCK at posting polls.  Final option was - no under any conditions.  But it won't let me add it. V_V

If this happened, I would play a character.

-bb#4 quit in April because he was not enjoying the game.

-bb#4 is also stealing WP's way of finishing posts.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

I don't think that karma is the problem.

I think the problem is the game plot itself, and what we are able to accomplish in this game that we play.

The current plot is the destruction of the world - somehow.

This means that we cannot create.  We can only destroy.

This extends to the thought that it's dog eat dog, and that we can outlast others if we're more powerful than others.

Which extends to character classes and which ones are more powerful than others...

Which extends to players making more magickers because they are more powerful than other characters..

Because people want to 'win' and last long.

Because this is a game.

Which basically turned this game into a PK mud.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

to append to what mansa said because he told me to post it:

Here's the thing.

The game is ending.

I understand that.

And i think it's good.

And it doesn't have to end in one gigantic magick explosion.

It doesn't have to end in a magick-themed scenario at all

But it seems that it's going that way.

Why does the final event in Armageddon have to be a big magick battle?

Why must the game end on some high fantasy aspect?

We want to affect change and progression on the world, and if we sort of know that the endgame is going to be around magick, then we have to make magickers in order to affect change.

That sucks.  That sucks giant mekillot testicles soaked in a creamy jozhal-jizz sauce with a nice chianti.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

I would be willing to have all the supernatural guilds shut down until the end, including a total moratorium on special apps.  No new mages at all, not even one, it is the only fair way.  Anyone currently playing a mage can keep it, but no new mages.  That would encourage anyone with a mage to be more discrete and responsible, because if he dies that's it.  The population of mages would gradually decrease, but all the mages left would probably have significant power.  Any additional mages needed can be NPCs.

I like mages.  It doesn't bother me at all if 50% of characters are mages, I think a 50% supernatural population can still be a low-fantasy game.  (Low-magick != Low-Fantasy)   It would be nice if the documentation was "updated" to give people more practical guidelines on social interaction in the current situation though.

However, Magipalooza does bother plenty of folks.  And current clans aren't really set up well for integrating mages into co-operative roles, which leads to an unpleasantly large portion of mages take on antagonistic roles.  For the good of the game overall, I would support a total moratorium on all new mages.

PS.  

Idea for mages:  Cast in private whenever possible.  If your mage does deal with other people, and moves around with a group in lawless areas, I would recommend bringing a tent.  If you want/need to cast a non-combat spell, do it inside the tent.  If you are casting on yourself, be in the tent alone.  If you are casting on another person (to heal them, or whatever) take in just the other person, and perhaps one witness or supervisor.  The unknown is always spookier than the familiar, even if the familiar is horrible, so try to keep people from becoming familiar with the casting echos.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I think the issue is not with karma or special applications, but the fact that folks know the game's closure is on the horizon. Like it or not, that has affected perceptions. People want to play that elementalist/psionicist/sorcerer because, in a way, they see it as their last opportunity to do so.

As someone who has played many elementalists (my first character on Arm was a Vivaduan, actually) and a couple of sorcerers, I recognize that there's a lot of interesting stuff geared toward them out there. Those things likely won't exist in 2.0, and so I can't blame folks for making that decision.

I certainly see no reason to take away karma. People wouldn't individually have it if they weren't trusted to use it responsibly. As well, taking away karma/special apps to stop the "magicker problem" does disturb other things. What about desert elves, half-giants, halflings, muls? Will these vanish from the game as well, even though they can very realistically be as mundane as a bag of rocks? What about cultures (many played) which regard certain kinds of magick with some degree of societal value? Does that aspect of their culture vanish?

Quote from: "bardbard#4"

And it doesn't have to end in one gigantic magick explosion.

It doesn't have to end in a magick-themed scenario at all

That is true.  The known world has been on the edge of total ecosystem collapse for centuries.  Part of that is magickally induced by sorcerers, but partly it is just too many people trying to survive off the available resources, especially the conspicuous consumption of the two super-cities.

Both cities depend on farming (though this is less obvious in Tuluk) but also supplement their needs with hunting and harvesting wild plants.  They are probably over-hunting and over-harvesting.  Biodiversity is low.  A few key species going extinct could start a catastrophic domino effect of extinction eventually creating dead zones for miles around the cities.  Once that happens, a blight on wheat or other key farm crops could kill the cities.  Without farming, the area around Allanak would have trouble supporting a few thousand people, much less hundreds of thousands.  People would either starve, or abandon the cities and strike out for the far corners of the wilderness looking for food (in either case, most of them would probably die.)

That would work well for the end of the world, because it would explain not just the destruction of existing civilizations, but also the extinction of all the Darksun inspired animals.

It isn't far fetched at all, Mayan civilization flourished from 250 - 900 AD, with large cities, complex architecture, and sophisticated mathematics, writing and time keeping.  Towards the end they had ongoing war, a collapsing agricultural system, over population, and possibly water shortages and other problems.  We don't know exactly what pushed them over the edge, but at the end they abandoned their cities within just a few months or years, and then much of their advanced technology was lost.  The didn't go extinct, they just walked away.  

Mayan civilization collapsed, and probably did it without any magickal interference.  The known world could collapse the same way.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I have pretty much grown so tired of it that I no longer have much incentive to play. Some people I've talked to seem to feel the 'epic' nature of the end is hardly worth playing in. I would absolutely give up my karma... in fact, I probably already have.

If I wanted a high-fantasy setting, I'd play any of the other 1000 muds out there. Thanks, but no thanks.

QuoteThe Maya cities of the northern lowlands in Yucatán continued to flourish for centuries more; some of the important sites in this era were Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Edzná, and Coba. After the decline of the ruling dynasties of Chichen and Uxmal, Mayapan ruled all of Yucatán until a revolt in 1450. (This city's name may be the source of the word "Maya", which had a more geographically restricted meaning in Yucatec and colonial Spanish and only grew to its current meaning in the 19th and 20th centuries). The area then degenerated into competing city-states until the Yucatán was conquered by the Spanish.

Um...nope. The ecological based collapse of the Mayan empire is widely debated and more likely only one of many factors. In addition, as noted above, many large cities continued to survive and, in some places, thrive. However, ecological collapse, plus peasant revolt against incredibly oppressive authorities, plus foreign invasion, plus mystery magickal shit would be far more interesting than some super sorcerer showing up and leveling everything.
A war refugee sought the Master.  He said, 'You are wise and serene. Teach me to escape the horrors of this world.' And the Master blinded him with fire-irons."
     -The Book of Cataclysm

Quote from: "Alberic"However, ecological collapse, plus peasant revolt against incredibly oppressive authorities, plus foreign invasion, plus mystery magickal shit

Wow that sounds really...... familiar. Gee. Hmm.

I think we should give the folks upstairs more credit.

Quote from: "Alberic"
QuoteThe Maya cities of the northern lowlands in Yucatán continued to flourish for centuries more; some of the important sites in this era were Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Edzná, and Coba. After the decline of the ruling dynasties of Chichen and Uxmal, Mayapan ruled all of Yucatán until a revolt in 1450. (This city's name may be the source of the word "Maya", which had a more geographically restricted meaning in Yucatec and colonial Spanish and only grew to its current meaning in the 19th and 20th centuries). The area then degenerated into competing city-states until the Yucatán was conquered by the Spanish.

Um...nope. The ecological based collapse of the Mayan empire is widely debated and more likely only one of many factors. In addition, as noted above, many large cities continued to survive and, in some places, thrive. However, ecological collapse, plus peasant revolt against incredibly oppressive authorities, plus foreign invasion, plus mystery magickal shit would be far more interesting than some super sorcerer showing up and leveling everything.

I'm not a Mayan expert, so I just skimmed a couple articles to brush up.   :D  Everyone doesn't agree about exactly what happened, but that doesn't matter, since I was just using it as an analogy to describe non-magickal ways that A1 could collapse.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Quote from: "a strange shadow"
Quote from: "Alberic"However, ecological collapse, plus peasant revolt against incredibly oppressive authorities, plus foreign invasion, plus mystery magickal shit

Wow that sounds really...... familiar. Gee. Hmm.

I think we should give the folks upstairs more credit.

Perhaps some people don't know about anything because we don't play magickers so it is virtually impossible to get involved in the end of the world plot. And if you do, it is virtually impossible to survive.

PS: Sorry for jumping on you about the Mayan thing Angela. I'm pretty involved in the history department at my university and one of our local ultra-enviromentalists has recently taken to telling everyone about how the whole Mayan civilization vanished because of the environment so I'm still primed from debating her endlessly. So, again, my apologies.
A war refugee sought the Master.  He said, 'You are wise and serene. Teach me to escape the horrors of this world.' And the Master blinded him with fire-irons."
     -The Book of Cataclysm

Assuming that those who are privy to the plots going on ingame must be playing magickers or psionicists to survive their involvement for any length of time is not only wrong, it's insulting. Please don't.

Thanks. Carry on with your thread.

Quote from: "Alberic"The Maya cities of the northern lowlands in Yucatán continued to flourish for centuries more; some of the important sites in this era were Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Edzná, and Coba. After the decline of the ruling dynasties of Chichen and Uxmal, Mayapan ruled all of Yucatán until a revolt in 1450. (This city's name may be the source of the word "Maya", which had a more geographically restricted meaning in Yucatec and colonial Spanish and only grew to its current meaning in the 19th and 20th centuries). The area then degenerated into competing city-states until the Yucatán was conquered by the Spanish.

Nice Wiki quote.

Anyway, why get rid of karma?  Just don't pass anymore magicker apps.  Centralize magicker power to those who survive.  If they're metagaming, they'll have a real fear of losing that particular character.  Magicker to magicker RP should get more intense.  Mundanes will become more realistically distributed.
"He who tip-toes cannot stand; he who strides cannot walk." -- Jean de la Bruyere

Quote from: "Alberic"Perhaps some people don't know about anything because we don't play magickers so it is virtually impossible to get involved in the end of the world plot. And if you do, it is virtually impossible to survive.

This, I do not agree with. It's harder to get involved as a mundane, but it's not impossible. And mundanes do not necessarily die any more easily than non-mundanes do.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: "Alberic"
Perhaps some people don't know about anything because we don't play magickers so it is virtually impossible to get involved in the end of the world plot. And if you do, it is virtually impossible to survive.

Just to clarify: there is not one end of the world plot, there are many, and they include plenty of mundanes.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Vanth said what I was going to... I know for fact that there are multiple plots going on and plenty of mundanes are involved and more are being involved all the time.

Second, and this is directed towards those people that just bitch about the endtimes plot being magickal in nature... how do you propose to blow up the world without magick?  There isn't the technology in game to create a mundane bomb big enough.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"And mundanes do not necessarily die any more easily than non-mundanes do.
Players being players, they just die in slightly more reckless circumstances. ;-)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I just want to point out that what many people seem to be taking as a foregone conclusion, ie, that the end of the world will be magickal, isn't.

We might beat the magickers. Maybe.

Then the world will have a mundane end.

The world will end, yes, but WE AS PLAYERS get to choose how BY HOW AND WHAT WE PLAY.

I really don't have a problem with the end of the world plots being magick-centric as long as there are still mundane plots going on for people who either aren't involved (yet) or choose to turn the other cheek.

When it feels like your only options are join up with magick plot X or start another mundane RPT yourself or just sit back and not be involved in anything, it can be very tempting from an OOC standpoint to want to ignore the documentation and get involved with magick or come up with a reason for your character to be okay with it because, really, who wants to be the guy left out of the party where cool shit is constantly happening?

Can you really blame players for wanting to be entertained?
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I played Armageddon because there was a LACK of magick. I finally found a MUD where I wasn't going to be fireballed every couple of minutes. And even when somebody did do some magick, I could hate on them to my hearts content.

I don't really recognise the game I started playing any more. I can't wait for Arm 2.0....Things have to get better then.
Free your hate.

QuoteI don't really recognise the game I started playing any more. I can't wait for Arm 2.0....Things have to get better then.

Lol, yeah right, when there are -no- karma restrictions at all.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Vanth said what I was going to... I know for fact that there are multiple plots going on and plenty of mundanes are involved and more are being involved all the time.

Second, and this is directed towards those people that just bitch about the endtimes plot being magickal in nature... how do you propose to blow up the world without magick?  There isn't the technology in game to create a mundane bomb big enough.

Why does it have to be blown up?  Isn't that a little...I dunno...passé?

And haven't you ever heard of plate tectonics?  Earthquakes?  Landslides?

Magnetic pole reversal?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Quote from: "Nile"I played Armageddon because there was a LACK of magick.
It boggles my mind whenever people say something like this.  I'm not picking on you, Nile, but seriously... has noone with this opinion read the history page?  Much of the world-shaking events in the past were magickal in nature.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Maybe for him, but I joined half because I loved the idea of a world where magick was actually mysterious and dark and wasn't entirely laid out for me on ten pages of a manual. While I can appreciate the people who are trying to keep the mundane parts of the game alive, I'm still looking forward to playing my first magicker.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.