Lockscreen

Started by najdorf, August 04, 2007, 03:17:18 AM

Is there a code that works for locking the mudscreen to prevent stupid friends and brothers to sabotage your game? My friend recently tried to kill a thing with my char, when i was at bathroom. I am not sure if this can be the feature of armageddon or the client. If such client exists with the feature i mentioned, can you tell please?
What i am looking for exactly is this:

-Windswept Grasslands [NESW]
  A hot, dry wind sweeps in ...
>lockscreen
>Enter character password: *****
-Locked.
>look
-Enter password to unlock:

or similar.

Just drop link by closing your MUD client when you're AFK?

Then they'd have to know your username and password to get in and monkey around with your character.

Of course, some of the full-featured MUD clients probably already have something similar to what you're suggesting.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: "najdorf"Is there a code that works for locking the mudscreen to prevent stupid friends and brothers to sabotage your game?

You'd be better off logging out or going linkdead. You can also set a screensaver with a password to lock your computer.

It'd suck to have your client locked and a powerful aggressive NPC waltz in, sending you to the mantis head before you are able to unlock your screen.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

While it's not the best idea, you can always lock a windows machine (2000 or newer, I think) with CTRL+ALT+DEL.  If it's a MAC, there's probably a way to lock the machine, too, I just haven't found it out yet.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Portal GT has the lock character feature, though while your character is locked you can't see the screen. Gameaxle.com
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

The problem is going LD is that you might miss important things happening on your screen. Seems to me that something like this would be pretty easy to code in, and if you don't want to use it for fear of getting eaten by a nasty, just don't use it.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

It would certainly be a cool feature for either the overall code or a mud client, but we don't currently have it. I've been on a mud with a "boss" command, which basically scrolled the window with numbers so it looked as though you were working on something actually related to work, which was cute.

Couldn't 'gone' be changed back to needing 'gone' typed to undo it? Simple and easy for everyone.

I know Gmud has the Pause feature. You can also open up a second window in gmud. I do it, so my cats can't type weird shit in. So, if your friend is more computer savvy, it may not work.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

After looking over all the posts, re-reading mine, and then re-reading the OP, I think your best bet is locking the computer, still.  If you've got this problem:

QuoteIs there a code that works for locking the mudscreen to prevent stupid friends and brothers to sabotage your game? My friend recently tried to kill a thing with my char, when i was at bathroom.

...then locking the computer can prevent them from not only messing with your game, but also anything else (putting pr0n on your desktop, messing with your IM stuff, sending out e-mails on your behalf).
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

crowbar to the face also works wonders.

at least, to prevent a second time.

The protection of your local work area is your problem, not ours.  Screen-locks are available in every major modern (and many not-so-modern) operating systems.  Use them.

Sanvean's "boss" command idea is a cool one, though.  I've seen that on a number of muds and online-games.

-- X

It's odd, I remember that some years ago if you were to go "gone" you had to type "gone" again, to be able to perform actions again. If you didnt type "gone" second time, it would echo "but you're gone", whenever you tried to do something. If this memory is accurate and I didnt dream it up, we could have it ... back, that would protect from 'most' non Arm used siblings.

That is weird, I just did a search for "gone" and it didn't turn up any results, not even this thread where Folker clearly used the word gone.  

Anyway, if I remember correctly the old gone was changed because it was possible to get stuck in gone mode if certain things happened to your PC while you were gone.  I don't remember exactly what those things were, combat, I think, but it could have been something else.  You'd type "gone" and get a message that you can't do that right now, because you're fighting (or whatever).  If you tried any command other than "gone" you'd get the old "but you're gone".  You couldn't even wish up about your plight, or quit out of the game, because you were gone.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I know Gmud has the Pause feature. You can also open up a second window in gmud. I do it, so my cats can't type weird shit in. So, if your friend is more computer savvy, it may not work.

I tend to find, while my cats do seem very interested in Arm and display an obvious desire to try and RP with my friends, that they have yet to manage to type in a coherent command.

Though one did get "kilk" once which started to worry me they were advancing in their typing skills.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Im on ur keyboard, kilking ur charz.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Dan"Im on ur keyboard, kilking ur charz.

I'm doing it. Next time I catch them at it, I will be snapping a photo. ^^
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game