Upgrade Your Grey Matter

Started by psionic fungus, July 13, 2007, 11:04:43 PM

Quote from: "mansa"
Quote from: "Saikun"6th: A lot of the Arm2 code development is being done not on Ginka, and there's also a chat server set up for the imms, so most of the stuff is being worked on during the down time.

Really?

Does that include building of Arm 2 as well?

I'm really really interested in Rasesanos's mud building tool.

Apparently your reading between the line skills are getting rusty.

From the "What are you gonna do now that Armageddon is down?!" thread...

Quote from: "Belenos"It will give me time to code without feeling guilty about neglecting my clans.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Quote from: "psionic fungus"I just saw Ammit complain and figured that there must be things Staff can't access.
I didn't mean to come off as complaining! Honest. I was just saying there's stuff I can't access (although there's other stuff I can access :)).

Wow.  I didn't read this thread until now, because I only skim for topic titles that interest me.  What a compelling read it's been though.  Psionic fungus' complete meltdown was a real page-turner.  You had to be looking for smarmy to find smarmy there.

It's been a welcome and refreshing breather, and I have a feeling there's going to be a surge of motivated playing once the game comes back up.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Does anyone know what "smarmy" actually means?

Quoteexcessively or unctuously flattering, ingratiating, servile, etc.: the emcee with the smarmy welcome

Not quite sure how that applies to "I'm going to make you all wait".
Lunch makes me happy.

He might've meant "snarky" or "snappy" or "snotty."

But, when life gives you smarmy, make smarmalade!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I do have an abundance of snark. One must filter through that when I post.

As far as the local purchase vs shipping, all we've got around here is a CompUSA. And not a good one. And they don't stock socket 604 Xeon heat sink/fan combos. Nowhere does around here. And they didn't have the power supply I wanted. So since I had to get that stuff shipped, I figured I'd do everything in one whack to my credit card. They didn't tell me the heat sinks had to be hand-crafted by remote Aleutian islanders, then shipped around the NorthWest passage by dug-out canoe and scantily clad warrior babes riding polar bears. So yeah, I paid for everything to be here by Tuesday/Wednesday, and it didn't get here until Friday.

-S

Quote from: "Saikun"They didn't tell me the heat sinks had to be hand-crafted by remote Aleutian islanders, then shipped around the NorthWest passage by dug-out canoe and scantily clad warrior babes riding polar bears. So yeah, I paid for everything to be here by Tuesday/Wednesday, and it didn't get here until Friday.

-S

Well, next time you do something like this, get pictures. They'll be worth the three-day wait.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I'm sure they'd be hot until the frostbite set in.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Polar bears don't get frostbite.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Uh...

Quote from: "Salt Merchant"

excessively or unctuously flattering, ingratiating, servile, etc.: the emcee with the smarmy welcome

Perhaps he does not know what "unctuously" means?  :twisted:

Where do you get a definition like that, anyhow?

Quote from: "Merriam-Webster"
1 : revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness <a tone of smarmy self-satisfaction -- New Yorker>
2 : of low sleazy taste or quality <smarmy eroticism>

Quote from: "The Free Dictionary"
1.  Hypocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest; unctuous. See Synonyms at unctuous.
2. Sleek.

Quote from: "Wiktionary"
1. Falsely earnest, smug, or ingratiating.

So... Like, yeah.  Smarm on, Smarmeladers.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: "psionic fungus"Uh...

Quote from: "Salt Merchant"

excessively or unctuously flattering, ingratiating, servile, etc.: the emcee with the smarmy welcome

Perhaps he does not know what "unctuously" means?  :twisted:

Where do you get a definition like that, anyhow?

Quote from: "Merriam-Webster"
1 : revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness <a tone of smarmy self-satisfaction -- New Yorker>
2 : of low sleazy taste or quality <smarmy eroticism>

Quote from: "The Free Dictionary"
1.  Hypocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest; unctuous. See Synonyms at unctuous.
2. Sleek.

Quote from: "Wiktionary"
1. Falsely earnest, smug, or ingratiating.

So... Like, yeah.  Smarm on, Smarmeladers.

Smarmy: S-ma-r-my
1. This Post.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: "psionic fungus"..a bunch of stuff...

So you're saying Saikun is sleek?  :lol:
Lunch makes me happy.

...Saikun is sexy
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Saikun is a polar bear!

You all were clearly not drinking enough schnapps in the early 90's.

She still haunts my dreams.

-S

Rumple Minze Girl

I absolutely cannot drink peppermint schnapps, or ice 101, or anything alcoholic with a peppermint flavor.  My body refuses to forget how peppermint vomit burns like nothing else.

Any ETA on the time of day for Ginka's revival? Afternoon, evening, late at night? Just wanna know if I should stay home.

After too many times drinking Ice 100, I'm with Moe on this one, no peppermint schnapps for me... unless I'm spiking my hot cocoa.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

That's because you're french.

If you weren't, you'd slobber all over that scantily mail clad woman with a bear between her legs.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

It's going to be evening/night, US eastern time. There might be a short period of the machine being up but not the game, while the coders re-link everything to the new OS. But that doesn't normally take long.

-S

Saikun, I just wanted to post my many thanks for all you've done. My husband builds computers and I've seen him go through hell even with several places to buy computer parts around us. It's not just a ten dollar difference either. Half the time he can find twice the part for half the price online.

As for PF, I think Slipshod worded it best. Complete Meltdown. I don't know, I've been in the military 5 years now and waiting, like anything else, is a well practiced skill. I just cannot understand getting pissy about things that stamping your feet will do nothing to change. Even if Saikun did word things snarkily, with a thick coating of the smarmalade... and I -was- a little put off by some of the wording I'll admit, He's been doing this for so long I have  faith in him taking care of ginka to the best of his ability.

I miss armageddon. I miss my character. But damn, I did forget how much fun I could have with my head removed from Zalanthas for more than an hour at a time. And the added benefit of knowing I'm not missing anything has been awesome.

Cheers Saikun.  :P

I agree with everything Saikun said really. A thing like this cannot be rushed. I also agree with whoever said there will be plenty of motivated players playing when it comes back up. I was certainly getting worn down and now I can't wait to start back up. It's just a game, and I don't like to wait either, but hey, an imms gotta do, what an imms gotta do.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: "mansa"...Saikun is sexy

Having met Saikun in RL more than once, I can safely say:  this is untrue.  He is not sexy.

He is many things:  cool, fun, entertaining, a great guy.

But sexy he is not...

(I'm sure he has equally unkind things to say about me, too)
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I got to go on a vacation without worrying about my underlings getting slaughtered without my inspired leadership.

Thanks, Ginka!
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Halaster"
Quote from: "mansa"...Saikun is sexy

Having met Saikun in RL more than once, I can safely say:  this is true.  He is sexy.

He is many things:  cool, fun, entertaining, a great guy.

But sexy... he is a guarentee

Awwww!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one