Logs..

Started by Antigone, November 24, 2006, 05:18:18 PM

Seeing as how the world is going to end in June, can we all expose all our hoarded IC-sensitive logs afterwards?

I believe it was Sanvean that said something to the effect that some things can be 'declassified' while some can not.  I'm sure that in some ways, the new game will be like what we have now, and those things that give away secrets that should remain secret will not be allowed, but those that don't will be open season.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

i think the op was asking about player's logs.  I have a shitload, personally, dating back to the mid 90s ^_^

there was a time period when i would log an entire character's life, but I haven't for my past few shortly lived characters.

my 30d played whiran (in less than 3 months rl) is entirely logged though.

does anyone else have this compulsion?  i picked it up when RPTs first started becoming less rare (tuluki cataclysm etc)  i've broken it since, but, heh, there's a lot of text lying around.

I think what spawnloser means is that some players logs may still contain information that will be IC sensitive in the new game too.

As for logs, I have none. Am I bad?  :oops:
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: "Maso"I think what spawnloser means is that some players logs may still contain information that will be IC sensitive in the new game too.

As for logs, I have none. Am I bad?  :oops:

Just not playing smart.

At the very least, logs are good for knowing what you lost when the game crashes. At the most, they're a great way to remember times gone by .

Should I be logging everything?  :shock:

I can usually deal ok with crashes...I just scroll up and check before I close the window. But you're right, I wish I did have logs of a few specific moments, but most of the time situations don't seem worth logging and by the time something cool happens it's too late to start logging.  :cry:

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

that's what auto-log is for.

this is 2007. A 300 gig harddrive costs 80 dollars.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2268595&Sku=TSD-320AS&SRCCODE=WEBGOOHD&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

A couple of megs of text aren't an issue. LOG EVERYTHING.

Quote from: "Antigone"Seeing as how the world is going to end in June, can we all expose all our hoarded IC-sensitive logs afterwards?

I made a post on the "Ask the Staff" forum some while back asking if we
could get a reminiscing forum once Arm blows up and becomes Arm 2.
Sanvean said she didn't see why not, and said to remind her once Arm
changes.

- Ktavialt

Quote from: "Agent_137"that's what auto-log is for.

this is 2007. A 300 gig harddrive costs 80 dollars.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2268595&Sku=TSD-320AS&SRCCODE=WEBGOOHD&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

A couple of megs of text aren't an issue. LOG EVERYTHING.

Linkie no work.

Anyway, I log every mud session, nothing gets left out.

To date, since I've wiped my harddrive on accident..

I've got 0.75 gigs of nothing but logs.

On my harddrive before it crashed, I had over 1 gig of nothing but mud logs.

Every single char, heh..
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I keep logging everything too!

You know, when an imm animated NPC prostitude Ways you to have some "fun" and you refuse them saying you are already in bed with two other people, you get to keep that moment for eternity if you are logging it.
some of my posts are serious stuff

How do you keep track of them all? Like...title with them with the character name and date?

Edit: Ok, I'm am logging everything as of now.

Quote from: "Maso"How do you keep track of them all? Like...title with them with the character name and date?

I title my log files with character name, date, and log # from that date. So something like "Ziggy-01-03-06-02.txt" means it's from my character named Ziggy, date January 3rd 2006, 2nd file from that day. (I could append my new log to the previous one for the date, but they get so long, I just prefer to make new ones.)

Log files come in very handy when I need to pull up a character's description, follow up on something that was said in a conversation, check the details of something that happened in game, sift through combat spam for the purpose of analyzing and learning, or just reminisce about cool fun stuff. I use other means of keeping descriptions and details and to-do lists and so on, but logs are good for backup.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I make a folder for a theme.  And in that folder, I put a number for each log starting with 1.  If there is an interesting stuff that happened, I open that log once I log off and clean the cool part, name it as whatever cool thing that happened there, and then save it.

I started logging everything after Eniriah forced me to strike a pose and sing:  I am toooo sexy for my shiiiiiiirt!

Damn it.  I should have started logging earlier.  But I memorized the event so it is an undying moment too!

Love you Eniriah.
some of my posts are serious stuff

A decade old example of why logs are valuable:

someone slowly fades into existence.

97hp 91mvp>
Someone calls forth a riding crop from the plane of Elemental Wind.

97hp 91mvp>
Someone says, out of character:
    "Hi.  I'm your new proctologist."

97hp 91mvp>
Someone calls forth a pair of fur-lined manacles from the plane of Elemental Wind.

97hp 91mvp>
Someone calls forth a dildo-tipped staff entitled 'The Sodomizer' from the plane of Elemental Wind.

97hp 91mvp>
Someone calls forth a pair of fur-lined shackles from the plane of Elemental Wind.

97hp 91mvp>
Someone snickers.

97hp 91mvp>
Someone says, out of character:
    "you won't feel this, at all"

Yeah... So...

As a compulsive logger, I generally name logs based on the character I'm playing and the number of the log (ie: "Amos - 001.log").  I have about 464mb worth of logs on my pc, spanning over a decade of playing time. Not too much space considering the amount of my life it represents.  The question I have is... What can we do with these captured moments of time?

Personally, I want to collect logs relating to various times and events from Arm's history, from assorted players, so that I can assemble short stories / comics told through the multiple perspectives, allowing contributors (and others) to see the story from all sides, the way it was never seen before.

But, if that doesn't happen, at least I have gems like the above to keep me company, late at night, when sane people sleep.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

How would keep logs off of GMud? I know that in file there is logging but *shrug* I know only the most miniscule of stuff on the computer. If anyone could help it'd really appreciated  :D  Thanks.

I use gMud. It's simple-de-dimple!!

Either go to 'File' > 'Logging' on the pull down menu up top, or click on the cartoony log icon. It should be second from the left, right next to the question mark. Then, just name your file and it starts goin'.

All the logs will be saved to your "Gmud" folder. If you're not sure where that is, click your start menu and run a search.  Mine is on 'C:/program files/gmud" so, My Computer > Disk Drive C > Gmud.

And I started logging everything halfway through one character after I missed something REALLY cool, but I don't know what it was. :P

The way I do it, is Year-month-day time(24 hr military) and character name.
So, my log files look like:
'07-02-11 1534 Bob.log'
This way they stay in both chronological order, and by character.  And if something truelly cool happens, I copy and paste it to a new file, clean it up, and save it with a name like "Mexican Inix show.txt" :p
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org