People leaving Arm?

Started by Tulana, November 22, 2006, 11:44:51 AM

ArmageddonMUD is just a game.  If people want to go play another one because they know this one is going to end, that isn't childish.  That's called freedom of choice, which they have.  While our dream would be to have millions ( no BILLIIONS)  of players, we'll be fine if a few leave.  I hope they don't, but .. eh.. just a game.  They'll hopefully find a game they like just as well and be just as happy with it.  Anyone's goal with a "game" should be entertainment and fun.  If it's no longer fun, then by all means, stop playing.  Don't waste your life playing a game you don't like, heh.

Now, as for motivation to play this one, I can see why some folks might not be as motivated to play now that they know it will end.  To that, I say, "but you don't know how it will end".  I watch Battlestar Galactica and I know they'll find Earth one day.  But I don't know how or when, and I still enjoy it.  It's about the journey, anyway.

Player actions in the Last Days will affect the new world.  Also, it's possible that you could Live Happily Ever After (as much as can be on Zalanthas), as opposed to die horribly.  The Last Days are going to be fun - for as many people as we can make it fun for.  If you don't play, well.. you're just going to have to miss out!  And then be jealous as you hear everyone else say 'OMFG THAT WAS AWESOME'.

Did we mention that Tlaloc and I are going to be spear-heading the Last Days plotlines?  Oh have we got plans...
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: "Halaster"ArmageddonMUD is just a game.  If people want to go play another one because they know this one is going to end, that isn't childish.  That's called freedom of choice, which they have.  While our dream would be to have millions ( no BILLIIONS)  of players, we'll be fine if a few leave.  I hope they don't, but .. eh.. just a game.  They'll hopefully find a game they like just as well and be just as happy with it.  Anyone's goal with a "game" should be entertainment and fun.  If it's no longer fun, then by all means, stop playing.  Don't waste your life playing a game you don't like, heh.

Now, as for motivation to play this one, I can see why some folks might not be as motivated to play now that they know it will end.  To that, I say, "but you don't know how it will end".  I watch Battlestar Galactica and I know they'll find Earth one day.  But I don't know how or when, and I still enjoy it.  It's about the journey, anyway.

Player actions in the Last Days will affect the new world.  Also, it's possible that you could Live Happily Ever After (as much as can be on Zalanthas), as opposed to die horribly.  The Last Days are going to be fun - for as many people as we can make it fun for.  If you don't play, well.. you're just going to have to miss out!  And then be jealous as you hear everyone else say 'OMFG THAT WAS AWESOME'.

Did we mention that Tlaloc and I are going to be spear-heading the Last Days plotlines?  Oh have we got plans...
[/size]

Quoted for Truth!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

If Halaster and Tlaloc are involved I already fear for my safety.

Iso clans rule.

Not really, but keeps you away from the dynamic duo.. -hides-

:)

No seriously? I know I'm derailing but halaster and tlaloc are two of the best RP imms out there, hands down.

Not to mention we have tons of them too, just to name two of them though.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "cyberpatrol_735"Iso clans rule.

Not really, but keeps you away from the dynamic duo.. -hides-

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think anyone is out of their reach.

Hell, I want to see how it all ends.  I know I see characters out there playing their hearts out. I truly hope they get to see the end with these characters, that would be awesome.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

I'm assuming by 'live happily ever after' you simply mean virtually they would have survived the catastrophe...

No, I think it's more like you get the say on how the story of your character ends.  It's not like storing, where you got bored with your character.  This will be your character surviving one of the defining moments of Zalanthan history.

Once it's all done, you get the say whether your character settled down to raise a family or drunk him or herself to death in some forsaken bar at the edge of the Known World.   It's a unique way to end a character, and I, personally, look forward to it.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Dalmeth"No, I think it's more like you get the say on how the story of your character ends.  It's not like storing, where you got bored with your character.

I don't see real difference between this and storing your character (other than fact you are usually not forced to store). When I am retiring my char, I usually have some idea how his/her life is going to continue when I am not playing him/her. Some of retired characters was even used as NPCs later - I know about few nobles which ended like that.

QuoteSome of retired characters was even used as NPCs later - I know about few nobles which ended like that.

And I know more than a few who were horribly mangled and slaughtered beyond recognition.  After you store, ownership of the PC passes out of your hands.

Let me repeat that, for anyone who didn't quite catch on the first time:

After you store, ownership of the PC passes out of your hands.

How does this apply to the current arguement?  It's simple:  When the world ends, some people will live on, and some of them will die.  The ones that live on may live on for a very, very long time.  If they were particularly influential in the end of the world plot, and they were consistently played, who knows, they may even be somehow made into a legend of the future.  Maybe they went on to do (AMAZING THING X) that (YOUR FUTURE PC) will hear about when they encounter (AMAZING THING/PERSON Z) in the future game.  Maybe they died during (INCREDIBLE BATTLE Q) and were instrumental in making sure (SOMETHING G) lived, died, or continued to exist, which in turn had a dramatic impact on the future of armageddon.

If you quit, that sucks, you'll never know the end of your character.  No skin off my back.  As for me, I know I'll be two-fisting shots of awesome sauce until that red sky Fades To Black, and is replaced with something too awesome even for our already stellar imaginations.

Bring on the next version, those of us who continue will have a blast.
Those who don't, won't.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I thought about this....

The real bottom line is.....

Even after Arm V1 goes down, there's never gonna be any other mud comparable to it. But, Arm V2's gonna be the closest you'll be able to get to Arm V1, even though it might be different.

In the end, when the dust has settled, I doubt any players will leave. Simply because, there arent (m)any other alternatives.

Arm rules!

Edited to add:
All the more it changes, the more it stays the same - The Legendary Pink Dots......
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I'm too busy with EVE online at this point, but what's the point of trying to carve out a new character history when you know you have no chance of making a character that will make a lasting impact?  For me anyways that's become a bit of a focus when I think about coming back to Arm, that even if I did make my ranger into the scourge of the sands it'll be too short of a time to become legendary.  The liklihood of such a thing actually happening if there was no end of Arm in sight is low but having that apparently no longer available to me saps my interest.

I don't think I'll ever 'quit' Arm but until Arm 2 rolls around I'm not sure how excited I'll be to ever log back in.

I expect a lot of the comments about not trying the new Arm probably come from people who hate change and are trying to preemptively boycott Arm2 in a vain attempt at changing the staff's minds.

Actually, at no point do we ever own our PCs.

It has been a long debated point of the MU* lifestyle, but that is the way it is. Arm's staff own Arm root and branch.

Initially I lost some interest in playing, but that passed.  If anything, it's the opposite now.  I want to make the most of A1 while it's still around.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I don't think I've logged on for more than two hours once or twice since the announcement Arm was going down.

I'm disappointed it's gonna come to an end, but we've new beginnings to make. I'm wanting to keep on with my current PC, but I've a few things yet I want to do .. and hope I get that chance, but I don't want that chance, exactly... grrrr.. anyway.. you'll miss it when it's gone, best to play while it's here. Yay for ARM2.. I REALLY want a new and improved drunk code so being drunk can be really fun IG instead of bothersome.  :twisted:
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

At first when I saw the announcement, I was like.. wtf? And I stopped playing for a few days, then I was like.. uh, hey dumbass, it's going to be even BETTER have some faith.

So now? Yeah, I plan on playing until the end, and then some. So should you all :)

Arm is no-less awesome than it was before the announcement.

Cheer up!
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

*cough* I was playing another game, now I'm back, my groupies should be returning soon as well, sorry for the vacation.  I think our numbers will be getting back up to norm now.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Keep in mind that this is prime exam season for most American Universities and Colleges. A lot of our playerbase will be absent as a result of their school schedules around this time. Still others will be impacted (at least somewhat) by upcoming holidays around the world.

Numbers are -always- a little low this time of year. Don't give up on us yet.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Not only that, but people are going on winter break from school as well.  Some people will not have a computer where they are going on this break, which they would have in their normal environs.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Can someone please point me to a good post about the details of the new Arm 2? I have been away awhile and was surprised to hear about it. Also, in my opinion that 7 to 8 months before arm2 comes out could get delayed as they work out bugs and add new ideas. Sounds like we have a lot of game play left.
T2(AW)

I think most of the stuff that has been decided on can be found here:

http://www.zalanthas.org/blogs/brideofson/
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Do you still play, Nao?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

When I get the time, yes.

Quote from: "Radioactive Age"
Quote from: "Nao"I think most of the stuff that has been decided on can be found here:

http://www.zalanthas.org/blogs/brideofson/

Am I going crazy or there hasn't been an entry in a very long time?
What is the progress for arm2 ATM?

Remember the holidays are in there and that alone tends to muck up people's schedules.  

The blog is just that, a blog.  I know there are people actively working on a number of things, just because of limited entries in the blog, this does not mean that there is no activity.  Some of us just tend to forget to put entries into the blog. Myself included.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

December 19th isn't a very long time, considering that there's been the holidays...