Knots and bricks

Started by Hymwen, October 16, 2006, 04:10:54 PM

This has probably been discussed before, but now I'm bringing it up again, so nyah. It would be really, really, really convenient if you could examine larger portions of spice to get an approximate of how much is left. Whatcha think?

>examine knot
This here is a knot of spice. Does your momma know you have it?
One fourth is missing from a knot of pink-mottled spice.

>examine brick
A bunch of spice has been pressed into a big ass brick.
Less than half remains of a brick of turquoise spice.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"This has probably been discussed before, but now I'm bringing it up again, so nyah. It would be really, really, really convenient if you could examine larger portions of spice to get an approximate of how much is left. Whatcha think?

>examine knot
This here is a knot of spice. Does your momma know you have it?
One fourth is missing from a knot of pink-mottled spice.

>examine brick
A bunch of spice has been pressed into a big ass brick.
Less than half remains of a brick of turquoise spice.

I agree. It's a pain in the neck right now, especially in a PC to PC sale when you are trying to sell a knot and the person suddenly gets angry because there in only a few shaves of it left.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I wish something would go into place for this, even if a brick eventually became a thal, then a knot, etc, as it got smaller.

It's escpecially important for abuse. You could right now afaik buy a brick off some shady desert elf and it's actually only got a pinch left, you wouldn't know.

Yes that is code abuse, but it could also be not the elf's fault. Perhaps he had two bricks, one to sell and one to pinch off of, but he forgot which was which and couldn't check?

Good idea.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

You could simply demand that the knot or brick be shaved into individual pinches before the sale, then pay by the pinch instead of by the knot.  Yes, I realize that the final pinch will still be a knot, but if it's indivisible, then it's fairly obvious it's only got a pinch left, yes?

Very easy workaround, with no code necessary.

However, I agree that the code is weird.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

QuoteVery easy workaround,

Very easy? For Terrance buttweasel the bynner. How about for the Kuraci Merchant who deals in it daily.

The merchant dwarf says "Yes lord templar, let me just spam 14959 pinches while I reveal that your five bricks are genuine."
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Just thought of a possible very easy solution. Port some food code over.

Look in knot
> You look in a knot of glowing green spice
It is filled.
It is more then half full.
It is almost empty

Etc....

I wish spice had a special spice message.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Try buying a brick of spice and after the first shave it disappears.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I agree completely.  This has come up frequently before so I'm sure the imms are aware of it, and will get around to some modifications once time is found to make it a priority and a solution is decided upon.  Spice just happens to use really old code, which is why it doesn't have all the niceties, and why tube-roling uses the outdated "make" command and an awkward syntax instead of crafting code.

My workarounds include trying to sell by pinches for small to medium quantities, and avoiding like the plague any sort of swindling for larger purchases, even minor skimming like taking a single pinch from the knot/brick, until there is a satisfactory IC mechanism for doing so.

I'm sure spice will get some code-loving eventually, which will hopefully lead to it not being such a neglected aspect of the game.  That will be a glorious day.  In the meantime, we'll make do.

I don't see why you couldn't use the same framework used in (food) spices.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Has the typo been fixed yet?  "You can't break the knot down any furthur," or whatever it was exactly that it said?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "jmordetsky"
I agree. It's a pain in the neck right now, especially in a PC to PC sale when you are trying to sell a knot and the person suddenly gets angry because there in only a few shaves of it left.

Who hasn't even  been jipped out of a couple grams by a weed man?
I think the value skill (haven't tested it on spice) should help assess what's left of a brick or whatnot, would make that skill alot more useful to have. Get your shit from a very reliable source if you're reselling it, otherwise people will bitch about unreliable weights. Realistic to me.

em  hugs his pocket-sized digi scales
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: "Majikal"
Who hasn't even  been jipped out of a couple grams by a weed man?
Get your shit from a very reliable source if you're reselling it, otherwise people will bitch about unreliable weights. Realistic to me.

A good point.  Maybe it would only be obvious to an untrained eye that there was some missing from a brick if it was a large amount... like 1/4 or more.  That would allow for some RP-rip-offs without being too unrealistic like if you have a brick with one shave left.  Duh.  Otherwise maybe, as you said, value or assess or whatever would allow the TRAINED eye to see if it is actually a full brick or knot or whatever.  

I'd like to see this coded as well as some other ideas that might make dealing with spice more fun, realistic, or all-around playable within the game.  Just as an idea off the top of my head, it would be cool if you had a group of people smoking a lot of spice in the back room and you might  get a coded message like "A strong, musky odor wafts through the room."
...you might have a chance to smell it in the next room over if the conditions are right etc.  *shrug*