Races and Sdescs

Started by Mr.B, October 15, 2006, 09:37:57 PM

Since Sdescs are supposed to show the outstanding features of character, I have to say I get really annoyed when I see descs like, "the so and so male or female" and it turns out to be a dwarf, or a half-giant or something when the main desc obviously states the character race. I think it would be a good rule of thumb to use male or female descriptors with race descriptors, or these descs shouldn't be allowed in game. Discuss.
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

Personaly I only use male for a half-elf when his/her hair is long and if you just looked at him/her you would not be able to tell unless you took a closer look.

If your race is obviously not human I am of the opinion that you should specify it in your sdesc, as it is a readily apparent stand-out feature.

Quote from: "jstorrie"If your race is obviously not human I am of the opinion that you should specify it in your sdesc, as it is a readily apparent stand-out feature.

This person begs to differ.

man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Race and sex is important.

I want to know if the PC's can interface with me, in the nether regions, at sight.  Thanks.
Robots rule

I disagree with ya'll.  What's important in my features isn't how big my penis is.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'm not sure I've ever seen a non-human who didn't have race in the sdesc. The only exception here is half-elves, and they're close enough to humans that they can get away with it.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Half-elves are about the only exception, well besides a cleverly disguised mantis with an awesome wig and stuff, those guys sure can be tricky!

NOT ENTIRE STAFF OPINION:

I've always played it like this-

Anyone that is 'female' or 'male' is most likely a human or a halfbreed that highly resembles the human side.   Most players I have seen also make specific point to put race into the sdesc if it differs from human.

By the reasoning provided here, we would have a great many 'human man/male' and 'human woman/female' running around... with the character limit for sdesc being what it is, this is severely hindering to creativity.

Half-giants in particular already have a severely shortened amount of characters... that's 10 characters right there, just for race.  Adding sex adds another three to five, which is getting close to the half-way mark of how many charaters total you have to allocate towards sdesc.

I think it best to 'look' at anyone you are dealing with, first, in order to not mistake them for another gender.

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT THE OPINION OF THE ENTIRE STAFF.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill