Newbie dumb question

Started by Lluryn, October 14, 2006, 06:54:23 PM

I am sure this is probably a pretty dumb question, my first character in this world (I have played other MUDS and found this one and like the reality pretense of it...that is one life, no resurrection, though I have been finding it rather quiet and the emoting code is hard to get used to, but I am *grin*).

Anyway I am playing a thief err pickpocket really in Tuluk and I understand that I need to register before attempting any thievery, with the Lirathan Order, but I have yet found anything showing, telling or pointing as to where that is?

Is there a registry office I am missing?  I have browsed the bulleting board in the King's sanctuary and wandered around Tuluk but have yet to find anything.  I do not even necessarily want the direct answer, though it would be nice, but a good clue or hint would be most gratifying??  Also, is there a way to find others in your guild?

While I don't personally know, you might get your question answered faster if you add as many helpers as you can to your buddy list:

http://www.armageddon.org/intro/helpers.php

Find one with a specialty in Tuluk, and they should be able to take care of you.

Welcome to Armageddon!

Find a PC templar and talk to them, it doesn't have to be a Lirathan afaik.
You might to want to keep this quiet when you approachthem and just tell them that you need to talk to them, unless you want everyone in the room to know that you're a thief.

Also, you aren't required to buy a license through and OOC rules, those are IC rules of the city.
You'll most likely still get punished when you get caught, but likely to a lesser degree than an unlicensed thief.

No, there is no way of finding others in your guild through OOC means, you'll have to talk to them in game (or find out through other IC means) - figure out what that shady guy at the bar there does, ask him or hide and see who else seems to be stealing would all be possible ways to find out.

typing who and seeing who else on the list is a thief won't work here :)
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Read the Thief's Bible: http://www.armageddon.org/rp/bible.html

Remember a few specific things: expect to be treated like you act.  If you dress like a thief, talk like a thief and walk like a thief...well, that's not so subtle, now, is it?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Read the Thief's Bible: http://www.armageddon.org/rp/bible.html

Remember a few specific things: expect to be treated like you act.  If you dress like a thief, talk like a thief and walk like a thief...well, that's not so subtle, now, is it?

I have read the Thiefs bible and yes that makes sense and have no intention of bbeing obvious  :lol:

Quote from: "Nao"Find a PC templar and talk to them, it doesn't have to be a Lirathan afaik.
You might to want to keep this quiet when you approachthem and just tell them that you need to talk to them, unless you want everyone in the room to know that you're a thief.

Also, you aren't required to buy a license through and OOC rules, those are IC rules of the city.
You'll most likely still get punished when you get caught, but likely to a lesser degree than an unlicensed thief.

No, there is no way of finding others in your guild through OOC means, you'll have to talk to them in game (or find out through other IC means) - figure out what that shady guy at the bar there does, ask him or hide and see who else seems to be stealing would all be possible ways to find out.

typing who and seeing who else on the list is a thief won't work here :)

Oh I didn't expect to find the guild easily or by a listing or through here, I know better than that, I was merely trying to determine if those within a guild do  communicate with one another.

And I did think that licensing was ooc mandatory, so I hadn't even practiced anything, but shall still do so.  I did just see my first Lirathan Templar, not sure if he was NPC or PC.

Thank you! I love the way this new world is set up, now to just get used to it.

Just a note - Lirathan templars are always female. Jihaens are always male.  You want to be careful not to call your first Lirathan "Faithful Lord" instead of "Faithful Lady".
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Lluryn - This is the smartest newbie question I've ever seen.  :wink:

Quote from: "Naiona"Just a note - Lirathan templars are always female. Jihaens are always male.  You want to be careful not to call your first Lirathan "Faithful Lord" instead of "Faithful Lady".

Wow, thanks for that information, I didn't realize that nor put two and two together as I'e only seen one Litharan Templar and didn't get a chance to look at her.  I didn't realize the Jihaens were male and the Litharans were female.......phewh a close call.

Lluryn

As far as for finding other thieves, you do that strictly through roleplay.  There are ways to go about doing this, and the discrete ones often work the best.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Someone asked in-game about something similar recently. If it was you, don't tell us here :) If it wasn't, then maybe my answer to that person will be helpful to you.

The term "guild" in Armageddon has nothing to do with a coded building or training area or group of people (except for THE Guild which is the name of a clan). Guilds are just skillsets you pick in chargen that determine which coded skills your character is able to pick up and use. So, if you picked "pickpocket" it doesn't mean your character is a pickpocket. It just means he has certain skills that would most logically fit into a certain skillset, and that's just what the game admin decided to call that skillset.

There's no "Warrior's Guild" and no "Merchant's Guild" in Armageddon, because there is no one specific way to "train," since people improve their skills by using them and not by going to some training hall and typing "train 7."

THere are different clans though, and each clan specializes in something. Kadius specializes in various merchanting clothing/accessory things, and a crafter-type person would be useful there. Salarr specializes in armor and weapons and related accessories, so a smith-type would be useful there. The Legionairres, are the army of Tuluk, so people looking for warrior-type work might be useful there. But any set of skills -can- be useful in pretty much any clan, depending on the clan's needs at the moment.

I hope this helps you, and any other new player who's wondering why we don't have "Guild Halls" in Armageddon :)

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: "Lizzie"

I hope this helps you, and any other new player who's wondering why we don't have "Guild Halls" in Armageddon :)

L. Stanson
Ah that makes sense then.......it slowly is all fitting together...perhaps one day I shall lose my fear of making a total a$$ of myself in the game and actually loosen up :)

Thanks everyone

Quote from: "Lluryn"Ah that makes sense then.......it slowly is all fitting together...perhaps one day I shall lose my fear of making a total a$$ of myself in the game and actually loosen up :)

Thanks everyone

Don't be afraid to talk to people. I remember being afraid when I played my first character a few months back, and it really wasn't necessary. Just get in there to the Sanctuary, sit down at the bar, and ask whoever's there what their name is, what they do for work, and etc. They'll ask you the same, probably. You might say dumb things, but they'll probably realize you're a newb and not be too harsh with you.

And hey, welcome to Armageddon! :)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Gim's got some good advice there. Talk to people, get some interaction going. I think we all breath a sigh of relief when 4 PCs are sitting at the bar, having an emote-off, and one of them finally says something to another.

And, yeah, you'll say dumb stuff now and then. It sucks, especially when you feel like you've broken character despite yourself. Don't let it bring you down. Use the helpers, learn IG, and keep rolling with it. It's a really great game, once you get your teeth down into it.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Lluryn"
Ah that makes sense then.......it slowly is all fitting together...perhaps one day I shall lose my fear of making a total a$$ of myself in the game and actually loosen up :)

Thanks everyone

It's all good. I've been playing since 2002, and I still tend to make an ass out of myself sometimes.

Blood is correct..  This -is- a great game. You won't find a better experience anywhere else. The more you put into this game, the more it gives back.

Welcome to Armageddon.

And don't forget to make liberal use of the helpers for questions you have.  We don't bite, except upon request.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I can't wait to get on in a bit and continue on.  I look forward to learning more about the game.  I shall admit, I expected to die rather quickly with this character and actually am shocked she's still here, but if I do die, I shall do another, for I am enjoying what I've seen and experienced so far.

Quote from: "Lluryn"Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I can't wait to get on in a bit and continue on.  I look forward to learning more about the game.  I shall admit, I expected to die rather quickly with this character and actually am shocked she's still here, but if I do die, I shall do another, for I am enjoying what I've seen and experienced so far.

Heh.

My first character, I spent more time planning him than playing him.

My second character, I spent 16 or so days playing, 20 minutes planning, and I expected him to die before I spent a full day.

For my third and fourth characters, see my first character.

For my fifth, see my second.

:mrgreen:

Quote from: "Agent_137"

My first character, I spent more time planning him than playing him.

My second character, I spent 16 or so days playing, 20 minutes planning, and I expected him to die before I spent a full day.

For my third and fourth characters, see my first character.

For my fifth, see my second.

:mrgreen:

Heh, isn't that the way of it? My longest lived char was disabled, and I expected him to die pretty quickly. He was 25+ days when I retired him.

Gawynn
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth