Application Approval Guidelines

Started by Sanvean, August 28, 2006, 03:51:06 PM

Quote from: "Barzalene"Am I the only who finds lad and lass terribly jarring?

Och, lassie, haud yer wheesht. Whit else are we to call a bonny callant but lad? A lad's a lad, an' a lass is a lass, an' it pleases me fine that the twa are here to stay. Aye, an guid on the staff for ridding us of those Sassenach synonyms, "girl" and "boy". We'll hae the mud speaking Lallans afore a fortnight's oot.
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

I love Quirk.   :oops:

I don't mind lad or lass so much, but I definitely mind boy/girl.  The connotations are there, whether we like it or not, that "boy/girls" are the younger sorts, and 9 times out of 10, they act like it, too.

I see no problem with teen/youth - start learning to use the assess command!

I like 'lad' and 'lass'... so I guess I'll settle for using those.  I think they fit into the realm of Zalanthas just fine, personally.  The only problem I had was that certain characters just seem to fit the word 'boy' or 'girl' better than 'lad' or 'lass'.  And also since the two are so similar I didn't see why it mattered... like I said before... why not just use the same rules for allowing 'lad' or 'lass' as you do for allowing 'boy' or 'girl'.  *shrug*  No matter I guess... I sorta like the use of words better this way now that I think of it.

Thanks Armageddon Staff! (cheezy smile)

P.S.  I hope I can still use roamer, wanderer, or vagabond though!?!
*loud guitar music playing in background*

Permitting lad and lass is of the same school of logic as allowing dude in an sdesc.

The fact of the matter is, a 13 year-old boy or girl is not a "young man" or "young woman" (besides which, these are unnecessarily long keywords).  Moreover, very few players want to choose an asexual keyword such as teen or youth.  What's more, male/female keywords are better connotations for animals than human(oid)s.  As in, the female kitten or the male donkey.  If I see the lean, dark-haired female, the first question on my mind is: female what?  Female elephant?

I can't think of more than one instance where someone using boy/girl keywords portrayed their character as a bona fide child.  The infrequency of boy/girl keyword misuse can only fairly be handled on a case by case basis, rather than punishing the entire playerbase for the actions of a markedly small minority.

Great post, by the way, Quirk!

I'm disappointed that girl and boy won't be allowed anymore. I think all the points that I feel have basically already been made, so I wont repeat.

However, since Sanvean's post was a review and discussion of the changes made, I can only hope the staff will reconsider based on the very vocal opinion of the players in this particular.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: "Pantoufle"Well breed is actually short for half-breed, so it's sort of slang in this instance.  Moreover, even if breed were permissable, what TYPE of half-breed are you?  A half-elf?  Mul?  Ratlon?

I see Breed as a word for half-breed, but helps you stay under 35 characters.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas