History

Started by , February 24, 2003, 02:33:09 PM

Im wondering when the 'history' of the world ends and the player made 'history of the world begins.

So far Ive heard people talk of things as far back as the explosion of the temple in the center of Allanak, and then the annhilation of the mantii out in the valley. By the website that is pretty much the beginning of the 20th age. Im wondering how much farther back beyond that the game had been player-controlled... and what is just the supplemental documentation.

Before I think

Sorry I cant write more but the bell just rang, so I have to go to class now...

I believe the game started here:

The first Defiler in over 1500 years is found and killed outside of Tuluk. Ancient texts resurface which detail much of Defiler magick.

And all other events under it have been played out by players.

Here's the link to the history page:

http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/timeline.cgi
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

And what we can learn from history is:

If a bomb ever goes off in Allanak and you're living in the mantis valley, RUN.

Oh and the obsidian mines are not the place to hang out.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait... So that Obsidian Mine attack and siege of Allanak were player-run? And some players actually got to see:

A gargantuan dragon has arrived from the west.

A gargantuan dragon unfurls his mighty wings, and opens his mouth wide.

Welcome to Armageddon...

THAT IS SO COOL! I LOVE THIS GAME!  :D
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Actually, according to this thread the player made history was before Tuluk was built. So that would mean it was around about the year 400!!!!!

It was definetly around before 950 due to the fact that when it started merchants' were independants and the Merchant Houses hadn't been created.

It was DEFINETLY around before 1055 due to the fact that Steinal use to exist before it was destroyed.

1200 is probably around when the Karma system was brought in and IIRC magick underwent gignatic changes. That was around 1996 and Nessalin was in charge of that IIRC.

The game was around in 1367 because I remember people in the Archives commenting on the fact that Tektolnes hadn't responded to Red Storm forming and that he mustn't care.

So yeah. I'd be willing to say the game existed since before the year 400.

c.320
Work begins on the walls of the city-state of Allanak at Vrun Driath.
c.370
Rumors that at least one servant of the Dragon still abides in the Known World reach Allanak.
Fifth Age ends.
c.400
A hitherto unkown warrior named Muk Utep sacks the twelve tribes at Gol Krathu with an army of terrible barbarians out of the northwest. The tribes called the Elves of Mallok and the Twin Warlocks are among the conquered. The city-state of Tuluk begins to rise under Utep the Sun King

Dont know... seems to me that the game mustve been around a bit after 400. But I dont know for sure so its just speculation. Allanak would seem to 'new', just started being built in 320, to be a real place to live. Everyone would have to have starnge backgrounds like came from such and such a tribe, worked on the city etc.

But I dont know, maybe thats how things were. Would just seem things like the Rinth, and all these places with 'legendary' pasts wouldve existed, and more people would be commenting on how they came about.

Anyways thanks for the responses.

Having reciently reformatted the History for a Notebook I'm doing, I began to draw some conclusions.  One of the biggest things I've been thinking about is the topic of this thread. If you look at the history file, it starts with 5 items dated "???", then there is a divider, then the next item is "First Age Ends"

The way I see it, that line between the "???" and Year 77 marks the day the Mud started running and "player history" began. all the "???" dates were the original history for the MUD before there were any players.  This MUD has been running for over 10 years and I don't believe any of the original IMMs are still with us.  Not sure which Imm has been around the longest, but I'm sure that they could talk amongst themselfs saying "So-And-So was here when I signed on" and figure it out. However I don't believe many, if any, could answer this question with complete certainty.

But as a recap, my theory is that the "player history" starts with that little <hr> near the begining of the History file.

just my two 'sid
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru