Lockable containers

Started by Manhattan, August 12, 2006, 04:29:47 AM

Sound good?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I am quite certain that code already supports this.  Find them in game.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Edit:  Apparently they already have this, whoops!

Hell yes, but I think you should be required to buy the lock separately and be installed by a professional.  Maybe like ...

Quote from: "Armageddon"

A gap-toothed locksmith is standing here, picking his nose.

locksmith chest
You give a sturdy baobab chest to a gap-toothed locksmith.

A gap-toothed locksmith says, 'Come back in 15 hours and pay me 1500 sid.'
A gap-toothed locksmith hands you a greasy ticket.

Or ...

Quote from: "Armageddon"

A gap-toothed locksmith is standing here, picking his nose.

locksmith pouch
A gap-toothed locksmith says, 'I can't put a lock on a small, leather pouch!'
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

Who deals in chests?

esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

CEGAR:

I'm going to go MORE IN CHARACTER than you, because your hints are bad.

Talk to a Kadian.  And they are expensive.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

OMFG MANSA YOU RUINED MY IMMERSION!
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

A problem with lockable containers is that they have to be heavy, or they don't do any good.  If someone can pick up your locked chest and walk off with it, then they can take all the time they want to pick or break the lock later.  Unfortunately, if it is heavy enough to stymie thieves, you will have a heck of a time moving it around yourself.  If it takes two half-giants to move the thing, how are you going to get it home?
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"A problem with lockable containers is that they have to be heavy, or they don't do any good.  If someone can pick up your locked chest and walk off with it, then they can take all the time they want to pick or break the lock later.  Unfortunately, if it is heavy enough to stymie thieves, you will have a heck of a time moving it around yourself.  If it takes two half-giants to move the thing, how are you going to get it home?

Which brings up the idea, some higher class apartments should have small
built-in chests (higher then the lock of the room of course or it is pointless)
that use the same key as the room.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Quote from: "Cyrian20"Which brings up the idea, some higher class apartments should have small

That's a really good idea.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Angela Christine"A problem with lockable containers is that they have to be heavy, or they don't do any good.  If someone can pick up your locked chest and walk off with it, then they can take all the time they want to pick or break the lock later.  Unfortunately, if it is heavy enough to stymie thieves, you will have a heck of a time moving it around yourself.  If it takes two half-giants to move the thing, how are you going to get it home?

Oddly enough, chests are often much heavier when they're full of valuable loot.

They don't need to be massively heavy in an of themselves- just big enough that they can hold enough junk to get them there.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cyrian20"Which brings up the idea, some higher class apartments should have small

If they use the same key, I don't see how the lock could be of much higher quality ... Unless it's a more complex key then needed for the lesser lock, but both locks have a small bit in common. Sure Zalanthan locks are bound be be different, but with a key born lock, ussually if the key is the same so are the locks.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"

If they use the same key, I don't see how the lock could be of much higher quality ... Unless it's a more complex key then needed for the lesser lock, but both locks have a small bit in common. Sure Zalanthan locks are bound be be different, but with a key born lock, ussually if the key is the same so are the locks.

Bam, the engravings along the left side hit the four places in the first lock,
the engravings on the right side fill the fifteen in the smaller lock.

Or the key has two sides, or they hand you a key with a little virtual key attached to it.*

It's just a basic idea, which written, will spark ideas of a few others and improve upon
the concept.....     In another thread of course

*(with its own mini bar, which has its own tiny bookstore, complete with teeny tiny
collection of adult magazines.) heh I was just watching that.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]

Most apartments are a box with a lock on it.   :P  If you had a better lock, why not put it on the front door, to protect all of your stuff?

The place where a lockable box would be most useful is not in a private apartment (box within a box) but in a clan barracks.  Even if you trust your clannies not to steal your stuff, you really can't trust them not to rummage through it.  Since you can't stick your name on your footlocker sometimes people go through your locker or take stuff without realizing that it is a private container, not common clan supplies (or so they would claim if you caught 'em  :wink: ).  Many people might be tempted to pocket a small valuable item, but few will be willing to risk dragging a chest through compound, especially since they won't know if there is anything valuable in that particular chest.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I always questioned why my guitar case had a lock on it for the same reason.

Or why do medicine bottles have to be hard to open? You can just take it and  have all the time in your youth to open the bottle.

Same reason I guess.
IMMSAESL (Sorry I Made My Sig An Entire Sentence Long)

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Most apartments are a box with a lock on it.   :P  If you had a better lock, why not put it on the front door, to protect all of your stuff?

The place where a lockable box would be most useful is not in a private apartment (box within a box) but in a clan barracks.  Even if you trust your clannies not to steal your stuff, you really can't trust them not to rummage through it.  Since you can't stick your name on your footlocker sometimes people go through your locker or take stuff without realizing that it is a private container, not common clan supplies (or so they would claim if you caught 'em  :wink: ).  Many people might be tempted to pocket a small valuable item, but few will be willing to risk dragging a chest through compound, especially since they won't know if there is anything valuable in that particular chest.

Easy, the outer door would be cheaper because it would he harassed more
often and connected to a larger bolt, so maybe a few large sturdy pieces.
The small chest would contain a much smaller lock and use many
smaller tumblers (or whatever they are called :) ) Since it isn't made to hold
a solid door shut.