**Attention Staff** I have a free idea for u :)

Started by Spooman, July 01, 2006, 12:45:00 PM

Ok I talked 2 alot of helpers about this, and none of them could answer my question if when you are riding a mount and start fighting, if the mount will fight too......So my free idea is, if you dont have this (for any reason.....coding hassle maybe) then hear my idea out........Ok if you are skilled enough to fight on a mount, then your mount should help out, but how? All you have to do, is for all the mounts that can fight, code an auto-assist skill, to automatically start fighting whatever person its rider is fighting. Like it or not?
The object of war is not to die for one's country, but to make the other bastards die for theirs.
-We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it.
-Join the army, see the world, meet interesting people, and kill them.

Certain mounts can at certain PC skill levels fight for their rider. Also, it would be nice if you had posted this in Ask the Players or something.

On a non-critical tip, however, it's not a horrible idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Certain mounts can at certain PC skill levels fight for their rider.

Yeah, but i am tired of "charge". I mean thats not all animals can do. they can pinch, bite, claw, ram, etc.
The object of war is not to die for one's country, but to make the other bastards die for theirs.
-We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it.
-Join the army, see the world, meet interesting people, and kill them.

While I think something needs to be done about the mount code, and although I would like to see something like this add, I think giving an animal full assist for just having some basic riding abilities is a bit much.  As you may well know, most mounts can kills noobs pcs by themselves, couple that with your weapon skill and you're getting a 'huge' advantage for 350 'sid.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Just FYI, the submissions forum is for written submissions of things like items, npcs, rooms, tattoos, and so on. Code ideas should go in code discussion.
subdue thread
release thread pit

I don't see this happening.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

There used to be "pull reins" which seemed to be based more on the skill of the mount than the skill of the rider.  Non-combative type mounts would just do the equivalent of wiggling their ears, while mounts bred and trained for combat would strike out at whoever you were fighting in cool mount-specific ways.  If you weren't in combat there would just be a nifty mount emote.    It wasn't a huge amount of damage or anything, but it was cool (sort of like wrist razors).  It gave you a "real" coded excuse to use a combat mount rather than just using a kank like everybody else.  Then some stupid SOBs abused it and it got taken out.   :x  Those people need to die.  :x  :x  :x    Even the emote part got taken out, which is sad.   :cry:

I really, really wish that it could be brought back in some way.  Charge is different, charge is based on the skill of the rider, and the size of the mount.  It would be fantastic if there was something based on the skill of the mount, so that there would be a reason to buy an expensive war-trained mount, other than just proving that you are an elite RPer who is willing take a coded disadvantage to get a character-appropriate mount.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I really, really wish that it could be brought back in some way.  Charge is different, charge is based on the skill of the rider, and the size of the mount.  It would be fantastic if there was something based on the skill of the mount, so that there would be a reason to buy an expensive war-trained mount, other than just proving that you are an elite RPer who is willing take a coded disadvantage to get a character-appropriate mount.

Charge is its own skill.

From my experience with non-standard mounts, they're generally just not worth it. They tire much faster, and it's much, much better to fight while dismounted than while mounted. I think a good change for it might be to have your mount occasionally attack, ala the wrist razors example, with it based off the ride skill. In this manner, you can still have a use for a combat mount AND still have mounted combat be worthwhile at a high enough skill.

I personally debate whether walking is faster than riding a sunback.

I submit that mounts need to be reworked.  That is all.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

out of curiousity as of now are mounts coded as NPCs or objects? it would be nice if when you bought a mount they gave you the authority to command them, that way mounts can be given just as much personality as a PC might develop, a mount might become more liking of a certain type of food, become protective of their owner, so on and so forth. Also another thing about mounts (while i'm on the subject) is that when you name a mount it only lasts until you stable it, what kind of a person changes their mounts name each time they stable it anyways? would make it a bit harder for people that have stolen mounts as well, sure they can still ride it but the mount never warms up to them like they did with it's first master so it never listens to them as easily.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: "daedroug"out of curiousity as of now are mounts coded as NPCs or objects? it would be nice if when you bought a mount they gave you the authority to command them, that way mounts can be given just as much personality as a PC might develop, a mount might become more liking of a certain type of food, become protective of their owner, so on and so forth. Also another thing about mounts (while i'm on the subject) is that when you name a mount it only lasts until you stable it, what kind of a person changes their mounts name each time they stable it anyways? would make it a bit harder for people that have stolen mounts as well, sure they can still ride it but the mount never warms up to them like they did with it's first master so it never listens to them as easily.

Codedly, when you stable your mount it is sublimed by Krathis in the employ of the super sekret stabler's guild. Then, when you give them your ticket later on, they use the ticket to check what type of mount you have, and then the super elite rukkians form a permanent mount for you to take with you.

This eliminates their storage costs, thus enabling just 3 people to man one stable, and spend all those 20 sid pouchs on spice.

So, yea. While having a "sim-mount" system would be fantastic, it would require serious recoding of the stabling system.

I'm moving this to code discussion. It's more appropriate here.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

The appropriate change to mounted combat, I think, is to give creatures some sort of trample ability, where relevant, or other incidental combat form that they only use while mounted (sunbacks claw with forearms, but won't bite; horses stamp with front feet, but won't kick with hind legs, etc.) If your ride skill isn't high enough, you simply fail to coax your mount to chip in. Make it an automatic thing.

QuoteThe appropriate change to mounted combat, I think, is to give creatures some sort of trample ability, where relevant, or other incidental combat form that they only use while mounted (sunbacks claw with forearms, but won't bite; horses stamp with front feet, but won't kick with hind legs, etc.) If your ride skill isn't high enough, you simply fail to coax your mount to chip in. Make it an automatic thing.

This is effectively what used to be in with the pull reins command. I remember loving that command and it making some of the mounts uber cool. I'm not sure how it was abused, but that really does stink. I'd like to see some kind of mount control skill come into play, perhaps one that is branched and allows you to use pull reins etc.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I don't intend to sound mean, but, I pretty much don't read posts from people who say "u" instead of 'you', and '2' instead of 'to'.  At least, I don't take them very seriously.

Part of the reason I do this, is because reading text that is poorly written and awful in grammar is actually rather difficult, and I don't want to do that.  I'm not talking about typos - I make my share of them.  You know what I mean.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Haha, I agree with you Halaster, people who do that are usualy just too lazy to fully type a word out, then I see them in a less mature light. Also since when do ideas cost money? I would be honored if any idea I gave was implemented into Arm :D.