Halflings 101: How to Apply

Started by Sanvean, June 07, 2006, 04:58:39 PM

We've had a few applications and are looking for some more.  Send the description and background to myself, Nusku, and Olgaris, and cc mud.

Some tips:

Halflings can be rangers, warriors or merchants (crafters). Vivaduans and Rukkians are possible, but in order to keep these roles proportionate with the rest of the tribe, need to be cleared beforehand.

Valid subguilds are: acrobat, archer, armormaker, forester, general crafter, guard, hunter, jeweler, physician, scavenger, stonecrafter, thief, and weaponscrafter.

Use simple names that do not have meanings or fictional counterparts. The names Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, or Bilbo are right out. Here are some sample names: Abla, Bitta, Eibi, Guinni, Kita, Ninki, Vanyi.

Like all PC descriptions, halfling descriptions should be at least four full lines, free of typos, and not impose interpretation on the viewer.

Unlike regular PC descriptions, sdescs should start with "a" or "an" in order to make PCs feel like part of the overall tribe.

Avoid using uncommon words in sdescs, such as "maiden", "lass", "urchin", "scallywag", "hedge-trimmer", etc. The preferred form is "a/an (adjective) halfling". If you feel it is necessary to include your gender in the sdesc, indicate it with "female" or "male".

Do not refer to concepts or creatures that don't belong in the Grey Forest. For example, "a mouth full of enough teeth to scare the meanest templar" would be out of place and jarring.  

Do not describe your character as child-like unless you mean child-like by halfling standards.  

Halflings start as full adults.

Do not describe tattoos in the main description. A halfling tattoo artist with a repertoire of halfling-themed tattoos in a specific style exists in-game and is free to use. Similarly, warpaint is available in the game and should be left out of the description.

Here's an interesting read:

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=97892&highlight=halfling#97892

This was posted when the last Halfling group was started up:

Quote from: "Sanvean"Halfling culture and mentality is very different from what we'll call human culture, despite the fact that it contains elves, half-elves, dwarves, half-giants, muls, etc., on Zalanthas.

It's just too alien - just as communication with a mantis, for example, is a case where the human mind simply cannot comprehend the patterns comprising the communication.  When halflings speak with non-halflings, they might communicate in flashes of images or emotion, but that is about the extent of it.  That's what I've urged the halfling players to stick with.

OOCly, we had a sudden rash of players doing "contact halfling" as soon as the clan opened, and I found this irritating.  They are not tiny humans, they don't want to come visit you, and they don't want to bring you baskets of delicious cookies and grubs from the Grey Forest.  You are not a person to them - you are meat on the hoof. On the positive side of my irritation, this did lead to interesting discussions and clarification of what such communication should look like, which I appreciated, and the halfling players have been swell about it, as far as I can tell, since then.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Are halflings going to be open for play for awhile?

I know I'd like to try one, but am in the middle of a role that I don't want to retire.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Barring any serious problems, yeah, they will be for a while.

Reading that OOC explanation of what human's are to halflings ("meat on the hoof") does that mean they are out to hunt humans and the like as meat? Or was that just over-emphasizing that they dont look at humans as friendly?

Being hunted has a certain RP appeal to it :)

Then again, not sure about the tied to a spit and roasted over and open fire part....

Quote from: "Vynestra"Reading that OOC explanation of what human's are to halflings ("meat on the hoof") does that mean they are out to hunt humans and the like as meat? Or was that just over-emphasizing that they dont look at humans as friendly?

It doesn't mean that they are just out there to hunt humans, but humans, dwarves, elves, and etc, are a part of the food chain.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Why do halflings attack humanoids? It seems like they would just prefer simpler creatures that couldn't fight back as much as a humanoid.

Then again, maybe it's the same reason that some people eat alligator meat and the like.

jcarter wrote:
QuoteWhy do halflings attack humanoids? It seems like they would just prefer simpler creatures that couldn't fight back as much as a humanoid.
Maybe they don't want you cutting down their trees, poaching their game, and stealing their stuff?
Eating the intruders is just an added bonus, I'd say.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Well, I'd say you're average half-elven ranger is a far more appetizing meal than a tembo anyday.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "jcarter"Why do halflings attack humanoids? It seems like they would just prefer simpler creatures that couldn't fight back as much as a humanoid.

Have you seen the average Zalanthan animal?  Most of the larger ones are far more dangerous than the average humanoid.  I'd wager that halflings either have large appetites or they don't eat very often but gorge themselves when they do.  Thus, they need to hunt big game.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"jcarter wrote:
QuoteWhy do halflings attack humanoids? It seems like they would just prefer simpler creatures that couldn't fight back as much as a humanoid.
Maybe they don't want you cutting down their trees, poaching their game, and stealing their stuff?
Eating the intruders is just an added bonus, I'd say.

I think that is probably it.  I've never played a halfling, but I don't think they go out of their way to hunt humanoids.

The problem is that Tuluk has a crushing over-population problem (from halfling standards) and those people would just love to spread out across the grey forest and raze everything.  Humans have a huge sense of entitlement and think they own everything they touch.  Just look at the charming affect Allanak has had on its local environment.  The halflings aren't about to attempt to go to war with Tuluk over the issue, but when they find intruders in their territory they discourage them from coming back again by killing them.  It is a pretty effective strategy.  Leaving carcasses lying around in the forest can encourage disease, and it is wasteful to boot.  No point in letting 100 or more pounds of meat rot in the forest when you can put it to good use.  Waste not, want not.

If they could talk to those intruders they might try telling them to go away and not come back, or else, but they can't talk to them.  Making shooing motions is generally ineffective.  The old poisoned spear trick seems to be the only thing that works consistently, so that is what they use.

It isn't that halflings are rabidly aggressive, they are just protecting themselves from aggressive neighbours.  If people kept breaking into your home, and then helping themselves to whatever they find in the fridge or your closet, wrecking stuff they don't steal in wanton displays of vandalism, killing your cat, your kid, and your houseplants . . . and they did this on a weekly or daily basis, you might get a little militant about protecting your home too.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"It isn't that halflings are rabidly aggressive, they are just protecting themselves from aggressive neighbours.  If people kept breaking into your home, and then helping themselves to whatever they find in the fridge or your closet, wrecking stuff they don't steal in wanton displays of vandalism, killing your cat, your kid, and your houseplants . . . and they did this on a weekly or daily basis, you might get a little militant about protecting your home too.

I somehow doubt I'd be inclined to eat the neigbors regardless.  Maybe a simple reason as well, plenty of meat, and has an interesting taste.  Humans will eat mantis meat, athough they don't go out of their way to get it.  Humans are to the halflings, what mantis are to humans, alien.  Otherwise known as my 'tastes like chicken' argument.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "jcarter"Then again, maybe it's the same reason that some people eat alligator meat and the like.
I'd say it is. If I was a halfling I'd have certain tastes. Perhaps I like plump humans, or perhaps I prefer muscley ones, or perhaps I prefer elves. If I played a halfling I'd definitely have humanoids be a part of my diet (assuming that was okay by the staff), but it wouldn't be all of my diet (and might be considered a delicacy).

And hmmm... I wonder if I can create a char who eats mantis...... Are mantis skinnable? I believe humans/dwarves/half-giants/elves/half-elves/gith/halflings aren't (in order to avoid having your average PC Allanaki go and eat a 'rinther half-elf because they've run out of their starting coin), but I wonder if Mantis are.....

Can halflings codedly eat people (I.e skin a humanoid PC/NPC and get meat)? I think that would be really neat.

"The skinned body of the tall, muscular man lies crumbled on the ground."
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"Can halflings codedly eat people (I.e skin a humanoid PC/NPC and get meat)? I think that would be really neat.

I think they can actually use the command "eat" whereas humans/etc. can't.

Oh, I have some questions:

Are there a couple of "sample halfling descriptions" somewhere?

Do they have a sort of community? Is there a Halflingville or do they all roam wild?

Can anyone give me an example of a viable halfling character concept?
b]YB <3[/b]

Just a little something...

Quote from: "http://www.armageddon.org/general/races.html#halfling"Halfling

Halflings appear to other races as children with very wise faces. Standing between 42 and 50 inches in height, halflings are indeed the smallest of the humanoids. Skin and eye colour among halflings tends to vary between a pale cream and a muddy brown, although other colour- ations are not uncommon: pale blue, greenish, or coppery skin can all be found. Halflings are virtually hairless except for the typical unruly mane of hair which tops their heads.

Halflings are often far more agile than other races (assuredly moreso than humans and dwarves), and their peculiar culture renders them somewhat more wise as well. Due to their diminutive size, their strength is much lower than human norms, and their endurance is somewhat lacking as well. After existing for centuries alongside poisonous forest creatures, halflings have developed an extremely high resistance to poison. In addition, possibly due to the nature of halfling culture, they are highly resistant to magick. The halfling diet consists primarily of fresh kills from the hunt (halflings regard all animal species as potential food stock, including the other intelligent races but excluding other halflings), but they are well able to subsist on food which humans, elves, and dwarves find palatable as well.

Roleplaying: Halfling culture is extremely different than the societies of elves, dwarves, and men. Among the attributes stressed in halfling society are tolerance, learning, and a oneness with nature. Aggressiveness, a desire to steal, or a will to decieve would be foreign qualities to a typical halfling. While seemingly an eminently desirable race to befriend, there are several aspects of halfling life which set them forever apart from other races. Foremost, halflings are extremely carnivorous and will readily consume nearly any freshly killed creature--a practice which tends to turn the stomach of others. Also, by the standards of other races, halflings are a backward and savage people (not to mention dangerous). Finally, halflings do not learn the languages of other races very well, as the concepts contained within the tongues of others are foreign to the halfling.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

are there more docs about halfling philosophy and/or role play that are available to prospective applicants? The information about halfings, both in fiction (submissions) and in the docs seems to be light on this topic.

I'd e-mail the Halfling Imms, they may not read the website. There are clan docs for halflings but I personally don't know if you can get access when deciding if you want to play halflings.

If people want to mail us, we can send a copy of the Halfling "What You Know" and some sample descriptions.

Heh. Do we have to be interested in playing a halfling to get those docs? I'd just like to see more about what Arm halflings are like.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Do we have to be interested in playing a halfling to get those docs? I'd just like to see more about what Arm halflings are like.
Find out IC. :)

You'd probably get much more information that way anyhow.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Are the Halfling documents listed in the current helpfiles going to be updated along with a fresh perspective on halfling culture, or is the information in help race_halfling still applicable?

I'm asking this because currently it states that halflings are tolerant, learning creatures with a love for nature, they also do not have it in their nature to deceive or steal. How and more importantly why would such wise and learned creatures not attempt to communicate or trade with the other sentient races.. or for that matter, eat them.

As it stands it seems that this culture would isolate itself so completely that it would have no need to interact with the rest of the world outside the grey forest..

:arrow: If they aren't deceitful and they don't steal, there would be no halfling raiding parties.

:arrow: If they are tolerant and learning, they would not savagely murder those they found wandering in the forest.

If the previous two statements are true, why can there not be tribal halfling representatives sent into the major cities to establish trade? A halfling outpost open for trade to outsiders?

If they're not true, then let's allow halflings to be truly savage and primitive, form raiding parties and murder and eat whoever's slow enough to get caught. Give the forest some real sharp teeth...

I'm tossing these questions and ideas out because I love the fact that halflings have been reopenned and I'm curious to see what direction they will be taken in as far as adding Roleplay to the greater story of Zalanthas. Savage or tolerant, trusting or deceitful-tricksters.. let's pick some brightly coloured objectives and make it either or but not both.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see gith and mantis remain as alien cultures that are too savage to befriend.. Halflings however, the little tolerant learning nature-lovers that they are... let's open the door and let them in as a new race to RP with on a regular basis. Maybe they will teach us peace and understanding, love and unity... or maybe they'll just eat our babies. Either way, I hope they aren't going to be a self-contained eco-system of isolated roleplayers.

And that my friends, is my unsolicited two 'sids :)

Quote from: "Vox"stuff

You just want to play a halfling whiran with your half-giant buddies in tuluk...
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"
Quote from: "Vox"stuff

You just want to play a halfling whiran with your half-giant buddies in tuluk...

Yeah... so?!  :D

You know, since most of my characters have been rangers operating out of Tuluk, this halfling activity is going to cut my characters' life expectancies in half.  

No pun intended.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Larrath"Find out IC. :)

You'd probably get much more information that way anyhow.

The door swings open with a reckless heave from the sweaty man slumped over the threshold.  One hand clutching his stomach, his other grasps the door frame with a desperate strength.  Hauling himself to his feet, a pained grunt escapes his blood wet lips before stuffling over to an old, rickety desk.  Shaking violently, a callused hand worms into the dank pocket of his trouser, gingerly retrieving a translucent green pill smelling faintly of herb and dirt.  For a moment, his eyelids lift enough to reveal an expression of relief and morbid amusement before stuffing the pill between yellowed teeth and swallowing hard.  His eyes close, breathing shallow and ragged as he lowers himself to the chair.

With considerable effort, his right hand lurches forward to snare a quill pen patiently standing guard from within its well.  Blobs of blackish ink dot the parchment beneath him as he moves the quill's tip toward the bottom of the page.  With barely a scribble, words mark the crisp page as the man coughs into a gnarled fist; the hoarse and wet sound of something sick.  Suddenly, he heaves.  Violently.  Spittle mixed with blood mixed with wet flesh best kept inside bursts from his mouth like a rotten milksack.  His body spasms for a moment, as a spider flailing in a pool, before an audible crack sounds from the base of his neck.  Sloppy vomit welcomes his pallid cheek with a moist caress as it crashes down to meet it, his widened eyes staring lifelessly toward a bloodied intestine, cradling so gently a greenish pill.

Beneath the morbid stench and scene lay the text, quickly absorbing the ink and sickening fluid of death.  A quick read reveals the following words written in a varied state of physical ability:

:arrow: They don't like me entering the woods.
:arrow: They don't like me hunting their food.
:arrow: They tried to eat me today.
:arrow: They eat kank.
:arrow: They employ some kind of pois

Yep, that'll work out much better than documentation.

-LoD

Nice story, but you left out the part where the hunter is killed for being literate.

Now, I stand behind what I said before - I'd very much like to see the What You Know document for halfling be available only to players playing halflings, because otherwise everyone going to know how halfling culture works and who leads them and what they behave like.
Cale Knight specifically asked if players that do NOT want to play halflings can read that document - players playing halflings should have all the appropriate information handed to them on a silver platter.

Now, it's very possible to find information about halflings:
1) Try to use the Way.
2) Sneak around the Grey Forest.
3) Use magick.
4) Talk to scholars or bards.
5) Find a halfling, torture it and devise a way to communicate.
6) Find a group of halflings and make them teach you Kentu.
7) Use magick some more.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I share Vox's concerns. As it stands, it seems like halflings will be nothing but an iso clan that occasionally pks people to eat them. The docs and staff have stated that it is nearly impossible to communicate with them verbally; they have trouble learning to understand other languages, and, even without that, the concepts within the languages are alien to one another. They cannot be Wayed, because the inner workings of their mind is too alien to communcate specific thoughts and words, rather emotion and flashes of color/images, etc. Also they see everything but halflings as food, so no one in their right mind would try to befriend them. And, even if they did, they would be eaten, either immediately or eventually.

I'm not a fan of iso clans in general, but at least tribal elves and humans can communicate with non-tribe folk. I really hope that the Imms have some plans to make halflings more than a bunch of isolated, pking hunters that, if played by their help file, have little potential for tension and intrigue within their own tribe.

I don't mean to come across as overly negative. I'm not saying anything bad about the Imms or the people who want to run halfling PCs. I'm just concerned about the way it will unfold in game.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Larrath"Nice story, but you left out the part where the hunter is killed for being literate.

Now, I stand behind what I said before - I'd very much like to see the What You Know document for halfling be available only to players playing halflings, because otherwise everyone going to know how halfling culture works and who leads them and what they behave like.

Well, you assumed he was a hunter rather than a literate bastard doing undercover research for a powerful noble, but I was mostly being silly.

You also seem to assume that a player's knowledge of a subject or people will bleed into their role-play despite whether their character would know of such things or not.  I'm not saying that doesn't happen, but once a player has created a halfling, then they will be privy to the documentation.  Will their future characters demonstrate an amazing and insightful understanding of the halfling culture because they've read it?

Do players demonstrate an uncanny knowledge of desert elves when playing city characters because they have access to their documentation despite them having infrequent interaction?  I'm not saying the answer to my question is inherently "yes" or "no", it's just a question, but it makes you wonder if halflings are so mysterious simply because they are new (again)?  They haven't been an available PC race for awhile?  They are more alien than the PC races with currently accessible documentation?

I agree that halflings are an iso-clan which has certain parts of its documentation that hould be hidden from the rest of the gameworld.  However, it'd be nice to create some mild version of a "What You Would Know" for halfling documentation that people could read.  There are plenty of very different cultures within the gameworld that are documented and described.

The unfortunate fact is that most players haven't had the opportunity to "Find out IC" without an Imm spending time to help, and now both sides are being thrown together.  If accessible documentation facilitated some non-violent interaction with the halfling PC's, then I'd say it might just be worthwhile.

-LoD

Knowledge about halflings has always been one of those jealously guarded topics at the forefront of the "find out IC" crowd, often with a subtextual snicker since, of course, "finding out IC" about halflings has been all but impossible for the last few years.

Now that halflings are open again, I guess that specialness at being privy to the "secret" is being threatened. I've seen posts from players implying that only folks who are knowledgable about halfling culture will be allowed to play halflings. Which is of course a Catch-22. You can't play a halfling unless you know about halflings and you can't know about halflings unless you play a halfling.

And to be fair to the staff, I don't think they're going to limit halflings to those folks who have already played them. I certainly hope not, at any rate.

I don't even know if I want to play one, and I can't know and won't know unless I find out a little more about them first. From where I'm sitting, they look like an iso/PK clan.

Is there more to it than that? I don't know, but I'm not going to kill off my current character and create an explorer who spends 2 RL years studying halflings just to find out if that's what I want my next PC to be.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

At some point (I don't know exactly when) the help file for the halfling village changed.  In the helpfile for Ptar Ken, it states that:

QuoteIt can also be guessed that there have been no conflicts with the
Ptar Ken tribe from outsiders in the entire history of its existence. Only
in the last few hundred years were these halflings known to exist, and
explorers reported no instances of walls or other fortifications around the
village.
  For a halfling residing in this village, life may indeed be very good.
The forest provides much, if not all, of what is needed to survive, and the
utter lack of greed, avarice, and war must make for a truly idyllic
environment.

So if there has been no conflicts, or really interaction, it could be there is a plan in place to increase it.  Beyond just food.  Who knows.  Should be a fun mindset to try.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Personally, I think people should attempt to submit halfling
applications and get rejected, then if the staff feels the application
is WAY far off of halfling culture they flat out reject, and if not,
then they ask if the player wants to tweak it in a way that's more
halfling-like.

Also, RP that generally ends in death isn't always bad RP. Tension
and conflict can create plots, I suppose.

- Ktavialt

Quote from: "Vox"

:arrow: If they aren't deceitful and they don't steal, there would be no halfling raiding parties.

:arrow: If they are tolerant and learning, they would not savagely murder those they found wandering in the forest.

The catch here is that Halflings view everything as food stock. They do not see other humans and demi-humans as people with souls, and feelings..etc. They are clever cattle. Even to use the real world as an example, there are counties that are tolerant and learning and understanding, etc yet still eat cows, chickens, pigs, deer, kangaroo, emu, turkey, fish, squid...Shall I continue? No, I figure you got the idea.

Dwarf, elf, human etc - all just wild animals in the desert to the mind of a halfling.

If your into dark sun, I sugguest you read some of their books, while Armageddon is somewhat diffrent from them, the books can provide some interesting infomation about the world in general.
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

Quote from: "Vox"

I'm asking this because currently it states that halflings are tolerant, learning creatures with a love for nature, they also do not have it in their nature to deceive or steal. How and more importantly why would such wise and learned creatures not attempt to communicate or trade with the other sentient races.. or for that matter, eat them.

Excuse me, your cultural bias is showing.   :)  Wisdom doesn't necesarily have to lead to being pacifistic or capitalistic.  

I like the dicotomy of canabilistic hippies, but that's just me.  Flower Power:  the flowers are also poisonous.  Peace and love and eat the interloper.

It is possible that in the past they attempted to communicate, trade and negotiate with humans and elves, and then they learned that both humans and elves are dishonerable bastards who will attempt to screw you over at every opportunity.  They might even be smart enough to figure out that if they act like a city-state with an army and valuable resources, then the evil sorcerer who rules Tuluk will try to conquor them.  As long as they act like barely sentient savages the Tuluki government will ignore them, the same way they ignore gortoks and tembos.

They are aliens, who knows what they think?

I do hope they find a way to interact with parts of the outside world, PK iso tribes suck.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Anarchy"

The catch here is that Halflings view everything as food stock. They do not see other humans and demi-humans as people with souls, and feelings..etc. They are clever cattle.

Dwarf, elf, human etc - all just wild animals in the desert to the mind of a halfling.

Well, if that's the case... Why don't we see Halflings attempting to herd themselves a tribe of elves?

Or keep some fat dwarves as livestock?

Because they don't control enough land to farm.  They hunt what they can when they can.  Also, elves and dwarves are far more uppity than cattle and so make terrible livestock, and halflings know it.

-- X

Keeping animals or humanoids as livestock, keep in mind, is a distinctly Agrarian-Human-Non-Outer-Race trait.

Why would the halflings need or desire a stockpile of anything if they're only going to take what they need? If they don't get an elf, they'll just get a tregil or a vestric.

The forest is the stockpile.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Well, sure.. if yeh want to be all logical about it.

Still, I'd like to see a halfling in a set of mini-overalls go out at the crack of Krath to milk himself a buxom half-elf...

But maybe that's just me.. :shock:

Well, who wouldn't want to see that?

Let's get back to the original thread topic, though.

Thanks,

X

Sooo...
:arrow: Halflings see other races as food and have no wish to communicate with them.
:arrow: Halflings have no real effective means of communicating even if they wanted to.
:arrow: Halflings live in their own little villiage, away from everyone else.
:arrow: The halflings in their villiage all get along in enlightened harmony and don't have much if any inner conflict.
:arrow: Halflings haven't had any outside troubles or threats to their villiage in some time.

IF all of this is true... what exactly are PC halflings going to do? What interaction will they be able to have with anyone besides other halflings? Won't this just fracture the playerbase?

I fully acknowledge the above might be misconceptions, but they're all things that can be gathered by reading this thread. If they're wrong, I hope somebody would PLEASE correct them. I also think that making some form of docs about halflings public would help immensely. I think "find out IC" in this case is valid in some areas, but a general overview of the race (enough to form a reasonable concept and know how to play it) would be very very helpful.

I hope the tone of this post doesn't come off on an attack on the staff, it's just questions I'd really like to hear addressed.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Ditto.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I don't know about you, but I like to see options. The chance to play in a different mindset, one that is totally alien.  This hasn't been played yet and it's already being torpedoed from the sidelines.  Personaly, I'm curious to see what becomes of them and where this is all leading.  A clash of alien cultures could lead for some interesting play.  Two thumbs up for options, creativilty and an open mind.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I think staff know of the current misgivings some players have with the design of the halfling race as a viable PC option that would add to the game world, ie. that they add nothing to it if they can't interact.  Hence I think this time around they're going to have a push to interact on some level, whether that is raiding Tuluki loggers or having pow wows with desert elves in their tree houses.  Only time will tell.

I'm going to be waiting a few RL months after the race option opens before I say anything, I imagine that as happens in Arm there will be IC events and actions taken to change the halfling culture/situation in such a way that it adds to the game world.  That's what I'm hoping at least  :wink:

My suggestion for those apping halflings, expect to be watched closely and as the early bunch to take a strong role in helping determine what the future of halfling RP will be.  You'll be the trend setters so don't mess up, because if you do then other people are going to have to come in and undo all the bad stuff that got messed up  :twisted:   Nah I'm just messing around, good luck to everyone who plays an ankle biter and hoping to see you become truely involved with the game world.

Quote from: "Hymwen"Can halflings codedly eat people (I.e skin a humanoid PC/NPC and get meat)? I think that would be really neat.

Well, I know this is a tad late, but according to what I understand of halflings, they would take meat, bones.. skin.. gear.. everything of use back to the village for recycling into goods and consumables.

Sure, halflings are have savage but 'honest' ways of doing things and do not value your goods enough to steal them, but if they decide to kill you for whatever, you as a being vanish. You as a waterskin, a tent section and a set of pan pipes however live on until you break.

Quote from: "help eat"This command causes your character to consume the named object. Except for halflings and mantises, the object in question must be a type of food. These two particular races are also able to eat corpses which lie on the ground.
They 'eat' the corpse, it would seem, not skin it for meat and hide and then eat the meat.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"
Quote from: "help eat"This command causes your character to consume the named object. Except for halflings and mantises, the object in question must be a type of food. These two particular races are also able to eat corpses which lie on the ground.
They 'eat' the corpse, it would seem, not skin it for meat and hide and then eat the meat.

Why the heck not?

Quote from: "davien"
Quote from: "spawnloser"

Why the heck not?

That's definately on my wish list for coding tweaks.

Imagine all the nifty things one can make off of "civilized" folk!  Elf steak kabobs, dwarven kidney pie, human filet mignon, half-giant gizzard bread. Human teeth necklaces, femur bone stilts (for those halflings who have size issues), dwarf skin leather skirts, hats made out of elf ears.  That would be soooooooo sick.  LOVE IT!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: "Jherlen"
IF all of this is true... what exactly are PC halflings going to do? What interaction will they be able to have with anyone besides other halflings? Won't this just fracture the playerbase?

Play one and find out!
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Tlaloc"
Quote from: "Jherlen"

Play one and find out!

I would, but I'm addicted to my current character, and am probably not ready for halflings.

On another note, for some clarifications, check this out http://www.armageddon.org/rp/logs/log.gladiator.html

I found this in Roleplaying discussion, in the player logs bit.

Maybe I should have asked permission first, incase it includes IC sensitive information, but I guessed, if it did, it wouldn't be in roleplaying discussion.

This gladiator battle is taken in the perception of a halfling.

Which is how, it is relevent, to this thread.

Things to take note of:

The halfling can speak sirihish, which suggests, that Halflings can concieve sirihish, but others cannot concieve kentu. However it seems, from this log, that the halfling, does, however, have trouble speaking in sirihish. Occasionally using inccorect terms.

I think if you're going to open halflings to players. You should consider the fact that there would be 'outlaw' halflings. No community lives in perfect harmony. It's not realistically possible. Runaway halflings, or 'outcast' halflings would be completely viable. And the main playerbase in the cities would get a chance to see a better side of opening the race as some halflings become city-dwellers or adventurers around the known world.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I think if you're going to open halflings to players. You should consider the fact that there would be 'outlaw' halflings. No community lives in perfect harmony. It's not realistically possible. Runaway halflings, or 'outcast' halflings would be completely viable. And the main playerbase in the cities would get a chance to see a better side of opening the race as some halflings become city-dwellers or adventurers around the known world.

No.. they would not become city-dwellers. It is not possible. RP-wise anyway. There mentality just isn't cut out for "city-dwelling".

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I think if you're going to open halflings to players.

If?

Quote from: "RunningMountain"No community lives in perfect harmony.

No human community, no.

QuoteHalflings haven't had any outside troubles or threats to their villiage in some time.

This is untrue.  There are plenty of continuing threats to their village.

QuoteYou should consider the fact that there would be 'outlaw' halflings. No community lives in perfect harmony. It's not realistically possible. Runaway halflings, or 'outcast' halflings would be completely viable.

Due to halfling culture and mentality, this is not true.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "nessalin"No human community, no.

No offense, but the only community that I can think of that might live in perfect harmony is one where the majority can't reproduce, like ants, termites, and bees.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Dalmeth"

No offense, but the only community that I can think of that might live in perfect harmony is one where the majority can't reproduce, like ants, termites, and bees.

This isn't earth. Things aren't the same.

Quote from: "Xygax"Another good point, Ritley!

Thanks Xygax.

I like the challenge of trying to play a foreign mindset, and I think I'd like to try a halfling at some point.

It seems so foreign, though, that it's hard (based on the public docs) to imagine what kind of goals, hopes, insecurities, flaws, etc. can come in a halfling.   It seems like a lot of the weaknesses we associate with humans are non-existant, but what does that mean when it comes to their personalities and aspirations?  I'm not expecting to get an answer here, but it does seem like a much harder question than it is for the other playable races.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

What's so foreign about halflings?

If they live in perfect harmony. Personally, I'd never wanna play one. It's conflict that drives a good character to develop and be fun. For me anyways.
Especially with the setting the way it is, I just don't see the fun in playing "co-op" with everyone.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "Ritley"
Quote from: "Dalmeth"

This isn't earth. Things aren't the same.

Actually in my beginning Anthropology class I had in community college
one of the things we talked about were the "Bushmen" in Africa. They
are pretty harmonious with one another, from what we learned. Part of
their culture is that after a hunter brings in a kill they start belittling the
kill so the hunter does not get a big ego over it. :)  In a way, they
moderate some of the things that cause strife.

- Ktavialt

This should help :

Eat                                                               (General)

This command causes your character to consume the named object. Except
for halflings and mantises, the object in question must be a type of food.
These two particular races are also able to eat corpses which lie on the
ground. Typing eat without an argument will result in your attempting to
consume the first item in your inventory.

Syntax:
  eat <object>

eat (<message>) object [<message>]

Examples:
  > eat fruit
   > eat (frothing at the mouth) body

> eat (lowering ^@ head) meat [then looks up and wipes ^@ mouth]

See also:
  command emotes, drink, race halfling, race mantis, taste

"Be impressed.  Now!"

It makes me want to app a halfling just so I can find out how many bites of "eat body" it takes for a halfling to eat a half-giant.   :D

Question: What's the turn-around on halfling apps? Should we expect as long a wait as any other special app?
I'm just wondering when to start pestering you guys with "did you get my e-mail?" e-mails, heh.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Give us another week to go through the apps before you begin prodding us for replies.